Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

IX front plate mount options and ideas?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2010, 04:32 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by vetboss
Has anyone ever had this happen before? Or is this just an expression for a shake down?
Originally Posted by boostedwrx
No, California sucks like that. I'm sure it happens there.
Originally Posted by vetboss
Are you saying that they are allowing cops to make a detemrination in the field that a car is illegaly modified?

I've heard of stories where the cops hand out tickets for the wing claiming it obstructs the rear view. Upon argument of the wing being "stock" and approved to be sold in the US/State, they still write the ticket and send it to court.

I also heard of a guy that went to court, proved it was stock and still got fined...WTF?
YES. In Cali, most of the time when they pull over an import car, you have to pop your hood.

Cops are allowed to write tickets for illegal parts and ones they think are illegal. Most all mods are illegal here in Cali, unless the part has a CARB #, which most good EVO parts dont. Most all exhaust are also illegal be cause we have sound laws that are very conservative.

Cops go to classes to learn about modifications and such, but they still sometimes write tickets for stock parts. I have heard a couple times about people getting tickets for the STOCK EVO exhaust/muffler. Even though theres a Mitsu stamp on it.

Last edited by Boosted Tuning; Jan 30, 2010 at 10:19 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Jan 30, 2010, 05:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd feel awesome having my tax dollars go to police training classes that inform them on how to write bogus car modification infractions. That effin sucks. Anyway, I think most listed what to do as options for running a front plate.
Old Jan 30, 2010, 05:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
After looking at some things I think I've come up with a way to mount a plate, requiring no holes to be drilled and never contact the bumper.

I'm going to look at it more and fabricate one and try it out. Will post pics and maybe even make a few extra to sell if it turns out like I hope.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 08:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bkk_evo_guy
cops are dogs no matter what state, country, planet or universe u live in.

however here is the solution to all yr problems (as long as yr evo aint 2 low)

http://www.swiftmotorsports.com/prod...9f31e771cba318
that thing is pretty cool if it wasn't soo expensive I'd probb get it
Old Feb 5, 2010, 12:42 AM
Evolving Member

alot of cops make exceptions for what they call "nots for the hots" as in they dont sweat over front plates on your above average car. for example, the c5, i never ever see front plates on them. i had no front plate on any of my cars ever (wisconsin state law required them) and never got a ticket for it.

also if you dont have holes drilled in your bumper, i believe they cant make you do it, or so ive been told by a friend of mine whos milwaukee pd
Old Feb 5, 2010, 10:01 AM

I am not a fan of the beatrush one. I am surprised there are no other aftermarket options besides the universal sliding hide a plate things. I am working with somone to have a custom one made. It will be laser cut and have the square hole that the white plastic nut goes into, will fit in the same area as stock and be attached by two screws on the inside of the drivers side bumper duct that go straight up. This way when you remove the plate you wont see the holes since they are on the underneath side of duct. Hopefully it works out as planned and I can get a few more made and sell them.
Old Feb 5, 2010, 10:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
Keep your front plate in the car. If you get pulled over, just toss it onto the dash.
Old Feb 5, 2010, 03:56 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by chaotichoax
double sided tape with a velcro backing...one piece of the plate one piece on the bumper

or rivet two aluminum brackets below the front lip where no one can see ad bend them into a "L"
I did something like this except i used the heavy duty 3m double sided tape instead of velcro and bought 3" brackets already bent in an L. I taped 2 brackets on to the underside of the front bumper vent and screwed the bottom two holes of the plate into them. For the top of the plate I just used some more double sided tape. I was worried about it coming off so I made it pretty secure.. probably too secure that thing is not coming off.
Old Feb 7, 2010, 11:32 AM

if you dont want to makes holes on bumper try to zip it to those grills