Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Rear Windshield Completely Shattered...2nd Time

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2010 | 05:46 PM
Evolved Member

Rear Windshield Completely Shattered...2nd Time

This is the second time I've walked out to my car from somewhere and with it having been completely shattered. It's not necessarily shattered but I believe the tint is helping hold it together. Every inch of it is spidered and it is almost impossible to see out of. There are also no signs of external damage or of anything like a rock hitting it. Outside is completely clean.

One thing I noticed on both occasions is that the spiders originate from both the left and right side of the windshield. First time, it happened in the summer with no rain. Now it happened again tonight but it was about mid-60s and it was raining so I don't think temperature has anything to do with it.

Anybody know WTF is wrong???
Old Jan 30, 2010 | 05:52 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

that's pretty crazy...can't say I've heard that too many times

good luck with insurance
Old Jan 30, 2010 | 05:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by chaotichoax
that's pretty crazy...can't say I've heard that too many times

good luck with insurance
Florida insurance covers it 100% without rates going up. I had a couple of friends (and they're genuine car guys) say that, at this point, it's most likely frame damage.

Any other opinions?
Old Jan 30, 2010 | 05:55 PM
Evolving Member

who is installing these windows for you?
Old Jan 30, 2010 | 05:57 PM
Evolving Member

Year ago my mother had a Volvo that kept shattering the rear window, it was just a lemon. It seem to break the rear window every year. My friend work for a dealership and they had a Blazer that kept cracking the front winow. It started within a few weeks of buying the car, I think he told me the y repalce it more than a dozen time trying to fix the problem. GM ended up settling the dispute with a refund.

Has your car been in an accident?
Old Jan 30, 2010 | 06:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dgoodhue
Year ago my mother had a Volvo that kept shattering the rear window, it was just a lemon. It seem to break the rear window every year. My friend work for a dealership and they had a Blazer that kept cracking the front winow. It started within a few weeks of buying the car, I think he told me the y repalce it more than a dozen time trying to fix the problem. GM ended up settling the dispute with a refund.

Has your car been in an accident?
That's what I'm most afraid of. I was sceptical that the car was undamaged when I bought it but I'm finding some clues, besides this windshield, to say otherwise now.

EDIT: To add to that, the car runs straight and true like a brand new car but if the frame is twisted ever so slightly, could it possibly cause this? I do auto-x my car every now and then but I don't think that would cause frame damage.

Last edited by Babs; Jan 30, 2010 at 06:02 PM.
Old Jan 30, 2010 | 06:06 PM
Evolving Member

That suxx, hope you figure it out soon (before more glass breaks!)
Old Feb 2, 2010 | 06:20 PM
Evolving Member

maybe get a back window made of something else? just an idea...
Old Feb 2, 2010 | 07:37 PM
Evolved Member

I had my back window busted years ago while I was at a skatepark, $500 deductable I had to pay for an $1800 window. Then a year later some kids threw a rock through my passenger window while I was eating Arbys.... I'm pretty sure God hated me that year.
Old Feb 2, 2010 | 08:12 PM
Evolved Member

kind of not related but it makes me wonder - I grazed the passenger side A pillar with a tree, and the surface of the pillar was grazed and looked just messed up in general - I took it to my shop guy and he said it was just surface damage, and fixed it up looked perfect -

about 7 or 8 months later, i got a crack in the windshield kind of directly in front of the driver out of nowhere - I don't remember getting hit with a chip or anything like that - related?? possibly.. probably not though
Old Feb 2, 2010 | 08:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Babs
That's what I'm most afraid of. I was sceptical that the car was undamaged when I bought it but I'm finding some clues, besides this windshield, to say otherwise now.

EDIT: To add to that, the car runs straight and true like a brand new car but if the frame is twisted ever so slightly, could it possibly cause this? I do auto-x my car every now and then but I don't think that would cause frame damage.

I am just curious as to how you determined that the frame is twisted. If it was visually thats more than slightly. I have seen a few cars break windows sometimes years after installation, I wouldn't worry to much because usually its just faulty installation procedures. Hope you get it fixed soon
Old Feb 2, 2010 | 08:34 PM
Evolved Member

Upon installation, have the glass guys check the height from the frame to the glass. You might have a flange a little higher up hitting the glass ever so slightly making it crack.

Good Luck.
Old Feb 2, 2010 | 08:40 PM
Evolved Member

I've heard of windows just shattering for no apparent reason. My cousin had her rear window seem to just blow out while driving down the highway. She was the only one on the road so no rocks or anything of the sort. It only happened once, so it could just be the fact something is wrong with the frame. A hard rearending from the previous owner or something and an improper repair. Like you said it may have been wrecked previously. Carfax doesn't get everything. Carfax said my car was clean when I bought it yet after I bought it I saw signs it had indeed been rearended quite hard. Just throwing that out there bro. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old Feb 2, 2010 | 09:38 PM
Evolved Member

From: Clifton New Jersey Lived: Daytona Beach, Florida Lived: Port Orange, Florida
i still bank on somthing just isn't lined up right or like mr. know it all (3sgteguru) {J/K george } said improper installation. in the meanwhile the truck is doing u good LOL.
Old Feb 2, 2010 | 09:42 PM
Evolved Member

the added power from the cop blew it out

Quick Reply: Rear Windshield Completely Shattered...2nd Time