Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Gutting an SSL!?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2010, 02:00 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have regreted buying the SSL because of the weight difference, which is about 100 lbs from the RS. I didn't like the leather after a while because it wasn't very supportive. I ended up trading for a mint Evo VIII interior plus some cash and am much happier. I can say the leather front leather seats weigh more, but the rears are pretty much the same.

The real weight difference is in the roof. You have two options that will be cheaper than trading your car and swapping the motor/t-case: (1) get an aluminum roof from the dealer, or (2) get the carbon kevlar roof from AMS.

Otherwise enjoy...work on improving your driving skills. I have out handled RS Evos in autocross as well as other more modified machines. And others have out handled me...
Old Feb 1, 2010, 03:48 PM
Evolving Member

^^ ahh but while mitsubishi claims it saves some 30 lbs, they also compare it to average cars, not other evos. says so in the 2006 brochure, so the weigh savings in the roof could be ess than you think.
Old Feb 1, 2010, 03:54 PM
Evolved Member

Still surprised nobody makes a carbon fiber panel to replace the sunroof- would kind of be cool to have a functioning CF sunroof and shed a few punds there
Old Feb 1, 2010, 03:56 PM
Evolved Member

You should trade me your leathers for my super rediculously lightweight blue recaros.
all seriousness are you trying to set a record? If not what is a 100 lbs. Why give up style and comfort for a tenth of a second. Just my .02

Last edited by Wickedwhite8; Feb 1, 2010 at 03:58 PM.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 03:24 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Wickedwhite8
all seriousness are you trying to set a record? If not what is a 100 lbs. Why give up style and comfort for a tenth of a second. Just my .02
all im saying to that post is yes.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 03:27 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DJ Brett B
Still surprised nobody makes a carbon fiber panel to replace the sunroof- would kind of be cool to have a functioning CF sunroof and shed a few punds there
+100007!
that is an excellent idea! besides the functioning part. you might be on to something. i might be taking apart the roof shortly.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by Chele
I kept everything on my SSL. I would personally never gut it. I would prefer to add HP than to remove weight.
what he said for sure
Old Feb 2, 2010, 07:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by NJ_EveOhVIII
+100007!
that is an excellent idea! besides the functioning part. you might be on to something. i might be taking apart the roof shortly.
I think either way it would be cool- make an option for those who want to keep a functioning but lighter sunroof, and also make a drop-in panel that could be sealed into the roof for those who want to gut the sunroof panel/mechanical parts out of the roof to save even more weight- your case you could cut a panel out to fit and seal it in probably cheaper than a whole cf roof
Old Feb 2, 2010, 10:28 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Keep the SSL! With the interior as bad (SEA OF PLASTIC) as it is in the Evo, you gotta have creature comforts (or at least I do). Keep the weight and turn up the boost! It's not like you're trying to set records.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 02:06 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by scheides
Keep the SSL! It's the little stuff that keeps you happy, there are other ways to drop weight. I LOVE leather/sunroof/HIDs so much, if the car didn't have these things I'd be trying to figure out how to get them in the car.

This is also why I haven't even considered an evoX yet, no 5-speed touring edition available (yet?).
+1

IMO, the leather recaros are much more comfortable and just as supportive as the regular seats, the HIDs are very useful at night on canyon roads, and the weight you'd save by dropping CF in the sunroof location wouldn't be noticable. For my recreational auto-x needs, I can't tell the difference between the regular GSR and the SSL, performance wise.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 01:53 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by raginghadron
Keep the SSL! With the interior as bad (SEA OF PLASTIC) as it is in the Evo, you gotta have creature comforts (or at least I do). Keep the weight and turn up the boost! It's not like you're trying to set records.
i thought the leather was cool for the first year. than as i went and more into. im over it. i actually am chasing a record well a few. but only one this season. My DD's plenty for my luxury needs.