Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Gutting an SSL!?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2010, 05:56 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gutting an SSL!?

i bought my evo with the SSL package coming from owning an Audi. i thought the leather was a must so i spent the extra 6k? on it. well now 2 years later the car needs a serious diet.

this isnt about what to take out of my car to get lighter i know there alot of threads on that.

Are the SSL's still up there in value that i shouldnt take my car apart and i would be better off putting it back to stock sell it and find an RS or a shell on here. Has anyone gutted their SSL and regretted it? has anyone bought an SSL and now regrets it? I dont know if its just me or if its a waste to gut out a "luxary car"
let me know what you guys would do. thanks
Old Jan 31, 2010, 06:04 PM
Evolving Member

SSL might be worth $1K more than regular GSR.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 06:18 PM
Evolving Member

I love my SSL, and I don't think I'd want an Evo without it. That's just me. I think it's more the sunroof and factory HID's. Personally, I'm not a fan of the Recaro blue either, so the black really works well for me. I'll be ditching the front leathers and going with some Bride's when I have the money though.

It's your car, and you can do whatever you want. If it was me, and I was trying to cut all the weight I could, I'd just sell the car and buy an RS. I wouldn't cut up a perfectly good SSL.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 06:25 PM

i will probably trade it for and ask a considerable cash
Old Jan 31, 2010, 06:32 PM

id just keep your SSL, you dont wanna RS with no power acc. crank windows... did alil searching on the net found SSL 3228 RS 3175. those may not be accurate but thats not much of a diffrence...
Old Jan 31, 2010, 06:32 PM
Evolving Member

if i trade it though then i have to take out my engine and Tcase i spent too much on thous 2 things to sell them with the car. maybe i didnt mention that part. If im selling it id have to swap an engine and Tcase in it mine are both built. now what would you guys do?
Old Jan 31, 2010, 06:35 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Bigdawgmotors
id just keep your SSL, you dont wanna RS with no power acc. crank windows... did alil searching on the net found SSL 3228 RS 3175. those may not be accurate but thats not much of a diffrence...
this isnt really about the weight difference. its the fact that its the SSL. only difference bewteen the ssl and the gsr is the sound, leather, and HID's.
Old Feb 1, 2010, 12:52 AM
Evolving Member

is it a street car, or intended to be a streetcar? a 100 pound savings wouldnt be noticeable on the street. keep the ssl
Old Feb 1, 2010, 06:30 AM
Evolved Member

Keep the SSL. Those leather recaro's are noticeablely more comfortable than the Evo 8/9 seats. ANd the stock sound system is crap too.
Old Feb 1, 2010, 06:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
waste of money to sell your car to get another one and then you have to pull the motor tcase which is more money. lol you will end up with a cheaper car that cost you more for engine removal and reinstallation and tuning . not worth it at. a evo is a evo man. You can gut yours down and have more fun doing it not to mention you can sell the parts you gut off to make money if you never plan on putting it back on of course. there you go. My vote is to keep what you got then with this bad economy you never know or want to get into a nasty higher payment or stuck on a new loan
Old Feb 1, 2010, 07:01 AM
Evolving Member

I kept everything on my SSL. I would personally never gut it. I would prefer to add HP than to remove weight.
Old Feb 1, 2010, 07:19 AM

that is not much weight to be worried about. keep the ssl
Old Feb 1, 2010, 11:49 AM
Evolving Member

keep the ssl and enjoy those luxuries you paid extra for.
Old Feb 1, 2010, 11:59 AM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Keep the SSL! It's the little stuff that keeps you happy, there are other ways to drop weight. I LOVE leather/sunroof/HIDs so much, if the car didn't have these things I'd be trying to figure out how to get them in the car.

This is also why I haven't even considered an evoX yet, no 5-speed touring edition available (yet?).
Old Feb 1, 2010, 12:06 PM
Former Sponsor

What are your goals for the car? I wouldn't just gut a perfectly nice SSL, if anything just add some lightweight parts and a little more power to reach your goals and take out the seats when you go to the track, then just put it back together on the drive home. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Gutting an SSL!?