Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Quiet Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2010, 11:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Go on YouTube and search for "Evo Exhaust" clips. There is about every brand you can think of on there. You will be able to judge for yourself what you like.

As soon as you put cams in your car it will make any exhaust a bit louder.

The N1 exhausts are quite loud compared to others out there.

When you are looking at a "quiet" exhaust it should have a resonator(s) in the mid pipe. But more resonators means a little more restriction in flow. We can't have it all.

Also, if you plan on keeping the cat or even getting a high flow unit it will help with the noise as well. As soon as you remove the cat you are going to get louder...even with the stock cat back.
Old Feb 1, 2010, 11:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fujitsubo is the quietest I've ever heard
Old Feb 1, 2010, 11:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hate to tell you this, but the info to your question is already on these forums. Please just search. That is what I did when I had the same question 2 years ago. I was able to narrow it to the top 3 systems and then I made my pick. RRE Stealth is what I went with.
Old Feb 1, 2010, 12:10 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by UD Kingo
I am looking to do a full exhaust within the next few months, but I first wanted to ask you guys if you knew of a 'quiet' system. I want to get performance gains, but dont want to draw more attention to my car OR wake up the neighbors. (I live in an apartment complex) It can sound a little louder than stock, but 'quiet' in comparison to many of ones out there.

What would you guys recommend?
Go with the buschur racing quiet magnaflow exhaust quiet, light ,and still makes power..https://secure.buschurracing.com/cat...b4fe4c688fb9c7 even with the off road pipe it not to loud..
Old Feb 1, 2010, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by xtnct
Hate to tell you this, but the info to your question is already on these forums. Please just search. That is what I did when I had the same question 2 years ago. I was able to narrow it to the top 3 systems and then I made my pick. RRE Stealth is what I went with.
I know what you mean, and I have searched but I wanted to get fresh opinions. 2+ years ago my car was only 2 years old so I'm sure new systems have come out since then. I'm all for keeping the forum neat, but I wanted to see what I could find out by starting a new thread. I am a newbie to this forum and Evos, but I was VERY active when I have my old 328i on www.bimmerwerkz.com and with my audis on audizine.com and audiworld.com.

I have looked through the classifies a bit, but does anyone here have anything for sell with what Im looking for?
Old Feb 1, 2010, 12:33 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you can get it, look for a "JASMA" approved japanese exhaust. They are rated by the japanese autosport muffler association (yeah they have a muffler association) to be under 91DB (I think). I have one on my car, it was on my seven and now my eight and it is very very quiet, except under full boost, and still it's not obnoxiously loud. Google Jasma exhaust you should find something equivalent in the states.
Old Feb 1, 2010, 12:37 PM
Evolved Member

RRE Stealth with Mil Spec 100 cel cat is a middle ground between quiet and performance.

This is currently what I am running. My car has S2 cams so odly enough if its louder during idle than slow cruise from 2-3k.

My last setup (RNR 3" with test pipe) would shake windows, I actually miss the WOT sound though.

good luck.
Old Feb 1, 2010, 12:40 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SRToad4
Sounds like people are just naming every exhaust instead of offering the quietest..

I have the HKS HiPower / Megan Test Pipe, and it's not loud at all...looking to get something louder actually, want something with more rasp.
Ihave same set up with down pipe and its very quiet, but i like the sound
Old Feb 1, 2010, 12:51 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by CAD EVO
RRE Stealth with Mil Spec 100 cel cat is a middle ground between quiet and performance.

This is currently what I am running. My car has S2 cams so odly enough if its louder during idle than slow cruise from 2-3k.

My last setup (RNR 3" with test pipe) would shake windows, I actually miss the WOT sound though.

good luck.

This is what I have now. RNR with test pipe. It's very loud with pushing. It does shake windows. This Thread what I was looking for. Replacing my exhaust!
Old Feb 1, 2010, 01:24 PM
BBS
Evolved Member

Ive been through three cat-backs and ended up back with the stock unit. The most quiet of the three that I had was the tanabe medalion touring. It all comes down to your cat selection. After i put a test on it, even that became unbearable.
Old Feb 1, 2010, 01:28 PM
Evolved Member

The Cobb exhaust are pretty good.. Im not sure if it a Turbo-Back or Cat-Back.
Old Feb 1, 2010, 01:44 PM
Evolving Member

HKS Hi power is what I just got and it sounds awesome. Nice deep not to loud tone.
Old Feb 1, 2010, 01:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by BBS
Ive been through three cat-backs and ended up back with the stock unit. The most quiet of the three that I had was the tanabe medalion touring. It all comes down to your cat selection. After i put a test on it, even that became unbearable.
^^^ That. under 93db...very quiet, even with works hfc-
Old Feb 1, 2010, 01:53 PM
TS8
Evolving Member

This is the same as I did with my Apexi.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...apexi-ws2.html
Basically welded on a resonator to an already quiet Apexi WS exhaust, and made it full 3 inch catback.
Old Feb 1, 2010, 02:02 PM
Evolving Member

I listened to quite a few and went with the Fujitsubo RM01A catback.. In some cases I feel like it's quieter than stock(inside the car). In any case not objectionable at all. coupled with a Perrin DP and High flow cat.

Quick Reply: Quiet Exhaust