Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Quiet Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2010, 06:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
perrin sound really good, not loud at a cruise or idle but loud at WOT
Old Feb 4, 2010, 06:41 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by UD Kingo
Alright Gents.

So I went through all 4 pages of posts and will now list the results:

Works 3 Loud
Huh? Two of us told you that it's a fairly quiet exhaust. Personally, I don't care what you buy, but if there's going to be correlated display of replies, let's at least keep it accurate. Good luck.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 07:41 AM
BBS
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by FJF
Huh? Two of us told you that it's a fairly quiet exhaust. Personally, I don't care what you buy, but if there's going to be correlated display of replies, let's at least keep it accurate. Good luck.
Maybe hes referring to the straight pipe that works offers?
Old Feb 4, 2010, 09:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Appauldd
Go on YouTube and search for "Evo Exhaust" clips. There is about every brand you can think of on there. You will be able to judge for yourself what you like.

As soon as you put cams in your car it will make any exhaust a bit louder.

The N1 exhausts are quite loud compared to others out there.

When you are looking at a "quiet" exhaust it should have a resonator(s) in the mid pipe. But more resonators means a little more restriction in flow. We can't have it all.

Also, if you plan on keeping the cat or even getting a high flow unit it will help with the noise as well. As soon as you remove the cat you are going to get louder...even with the stock cat back.
+1

Everyone's taste differs and searching on youtube really is your best bet. I'd suggest using headphones also. Good luck, I've been looking for the right combo of "quiet but authoritative" for quite a while. Generally, I end up getting frustrated about the cost of such combo.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 10:27 AM

Just a quick reasoning and response for these posts:

Originally Posted by Jorge T
I don't know where the Works = loud came about...I've had "several catbacks" and the quiest setup is their Exhale 3" resonated w/ axleback catback muffler. It is quieter that the cobb
Originally Posted by FJF
This is where I figured it was loud. thedru13 is running cams, but I really dont want it to be loud just cruising on the highway.

Originally Posted by thedru13
I have a Works and cams. It can get loud on the highway. Sometimes its annoying if you want to talk to anyone in the back seat. My kid complains some times but oh well.. I am happy with it..
FJF: I want to be accurate and didnt mean to post something that would offend anyone. I just read that post by the dru and immediately put 'loud' down.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by boozeup&riot
+1

Everyone's taste differs and searching on youtube really is your best bet. I'd suggest using headphones also. Good luck, I've been looking for the right combo of "quiet but authoritative" for quite a while. Generally, I end up getting frustrated about the cost of such combo.
I think we are in the same boat here... let me know what you end up with!
Old Feb 4, 2010, 12:31 PM
Evolving Member

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Don't put Turbo XS on the list, it drones too loud.....I'm waiting on a member to decide if he's going to sell his Cobb tbe, I like the sound...

Just want to ask for anybody's opinion, since the topic is about Quiet exhaust....
But would it help to cut out my TurboXS canister & put a magnaflow canister & hfc or just a hfc & resonator leaving my canister on.....for now I'm just going to put a silencer...

OP, I'm sure your budget determines which exhaust fits it.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 12:39 PM
Evolved Member

Cobb is nice and quiet also its a subtle looking system which will not draw attention,but youd have to get lucky and find someone selling a used system.

Perrin is relatively quiet and good quality.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 02:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by EVO196
Don't put Turbo XS on the list, it drones too loud.....I'm waiting on a member to decide if he's going to sell his Cobb tbe, I like the sound...
I agree, I tried the Turbo Xs and took it off two weeks later. Constant drone, just while cruising around. Echoed all through the cabin.
Old Feb 5, 2010, 11:25 AM
Evolving Member

+1 for Tanabe Medallion Touring as long as you don't mind that it isn't true 3". It has a slight taper at the point where CBE bolts to the cat. But other than that it's not that much louder than stock execpt at WOT and it has a good tone.
Old Feb 5, 2010, 07:00 PM
lem

I had the tanabe touring medalion, it has a nice tone, no drone but still kinda loud for me. I think with all aftermarket catbacks in the market it's one of the queiter one. The only reason I bought it was at the time in '06 the fujitsubo rm-01a was over 1,000+- shipping which was a lot coz it's a one piece. Then my cousin sold his rm-01a coz he needed to upgrade to a true 3" exhaust for his new set up. The rm-01a is queit just like stock.
My only complain is that I hits the driveshaft a lil but u can fix it by turning the ring hanger of the muffler away to the left it will seat slightly sideways to the right n it's short perfect for a jdm bumper which I don't have :/ btw is not that expensive anymore, shipping might still be coz it's so long being a one piece.
Old Feb 6, 2010, 05:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by lem
My only complain is that I hits the driveshaft a lil but u can fix it by turning the ring hanger of the muffler away to the left it will seat slightly sideways to the right n it's short perfect for a jdm bumper which I don't have :/ btw is not that expensive anymore, shipping might still be coz it's so long being a one piece.

My Tanabe Touring Medalion fits perfect and isn't much louder than the stock exhaust. Centered perfect with the stock IX bumper.
Old Feb 8, 2010, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by EVOXTCY
My Tanabe Touring Medalion fits perfect and isn't much louder than the stock exhaust. Centered perfect with the stock IX bumper.
May I ask how much it was and where you got it?
Old Feb 8, 2010, 08:55 AM
Evolving Member

why not check out youtube sound clips? That should help out a bit.
Old Feb 8, 2010, 09:19 AM
Evolving Member

Ever since my damn Concept G was stolen... I been running the Medalion touring I borrowed from a friend. It's actually a chill exhaust. Less attractive. Though I'm not going to lie, it doesn't compare to their concept G (sound wise and performance) But it's quiet... I think my neighbors like me now hahaha...

There's some sound clips you can check out here: http://www.tanabe-usa.com/exhaust.asp

Quick Reply: Quiet Exhaust