Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Some news on JDM Evo 8...

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2002, 10:35 PM
Lee
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some news on JDM Evo 8...

Last week I browsed thru thru a magazine which had an article and pictures of the Evo 8, pictures may still on be thoughts of the editor so there is no point in describing what I saw. However the article was interesting to read about the changes to the upcoming Evo 8. Do only take this as reference to the up coming new Evo 8.

The main changes to the new Evo 8 is said to have:
-a revised front and rear suspension.
-engine will incorprate Variable Valve Timming.
-an additional AYC system will also be installed at the front axle.

I'll keep you all up to date if I hear anything else.

Lee
Old Jun 9, 2002, 01:08 AM
RaX
Evolved Member

Moving to Rumors section as this still sounds like more rumors, interesting ones at that.
Old Jun 9, 2002, 02:20 AM
Evolving Member

why is planning to follow VVT-i??? why not drive by wire???
Old Jun 9, 2002, 03:47 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
VVT
VVT-i
thats totyota
why use Toyota's VVT???
Old Jun 9, 2002, 08:17 AM
Lee
Evolving Member

People

Thanks RaX...

I mention Variable Valve Timing as a general word for that kind engine management but I didn't mention they were using Toyota's. Every maker has their own...just a different name.

Lee
Old Jun 9, 2002, 08:31 AM
Evolving Member

like...mivec...vtec...i-vtec...
Old Jun 9, 2002, 09:01 AM
Evolving Member

Its MIVEC, Mitsu's version of VTEC or VVT-i
And why are you whining, it could mean more power. I mean high RPM variable valve timing combined with powerful turbo engine. Hellava boost.
Old Jun 9, 2002, 02:03 PM
Evolved Member

Lee,

The pictures you saw on the magazine compared with the Evo 7, was there a big difference in looks or just a small change. Can you please post pics or tell me which magazine it was?
Old Jun 9, 2002, 02:56 PM
Lee
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Derek888
Lee,

The pictures you saw on the magazine compared with the Evo 7, was there a big difference in looks or just a small change. Can you please post pics or tell me which magazine it was?
Derek888: I saw the article in this month's Holiday/Best Car (Japanese) mag. So unless I buy it and scan it I can't really show you it. The car in the mag was black in colour, retained the same body shape as the Evo 7, rear brake lights has clear lens like the Altezza, Most noticable was the front head lights...dual twin circular lights and indicator. Seems like they just replaced the existing headlight housing.

Guys MIVEC is indeed what Mitsu calls it back then, but from the article MMC did not use the words MIVEC to describe the system if they did go ahead and introduce it on the Evo 8, This is why I didn't dare mislead you in saying its MIVEC...because at this stage no one is calling it MIVEC as it goes on to mention that it would be a much improved version of the (MIVEC) technology.

BTW did you end up buying a Evo 7?

Lee

Last edited by Lee; Jun 10, 2002 at 12:50 AM.
Old Jun 9, 2002, 03:09 PM
Evolved Member

I did not get the 7 because the dealer in Malaysia under paid the tax for the car. It would be too much of a risk for me to buy it and then have problems in the future. So far there is no new 7 around. Maybe ill have to wait until the 8 comes out. Just a bunch of 7 GTA's on the market right now.
Old Jun 9, 2002, 03:18 PM
Lee
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Claudius
I'd rather see some better LSDs than AYC systems and other electronic driving aids in the EVO.
Claudis: I agree one AYC is enough, another would just increase maintence and increase the vehicle overal failure rate...did they bother to do a FMECA!. An improvement over the exisiting system would have been better for reliability.

OK if MMC did consider introducing front AYC. This obviously would improve handling, but this also increases weight. Now we all know how well the Evo 7 performs against its siblings. So we could only speculate that MMC is considering the addition of the Mivec kind technology to maintain the Evo creditentials amongst its siblings.

Lee
Old Jun 9, 2002, 04:04 PM
Lee
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Derek888
I did not get the 7 because the dealer in Malaysia under paid the tax for the car. It would be too much of a risk for me to buy it and then have problems in the future. So far there is no new 7 around. Maybe ill have to wait until the 8 comes out. Just a bunch of 7 GTA's on the market right now.
Derek888: Sorry to heard that you weren't able to purchase one. I guess if you want a new Evo...you'll have to wait for the 8, and have your order in for that. Else if its the Evo that you want then any Evo would satisfy your appetite for excitment.

Dare I say you could consider a R34. But watch out as R35 GTR, New Supra and 350Z is just around the corner. I'm keen on the new Supra as speculation has it a V8 TT with stock rated at 450ps.

Oh and Ralliart Japan on June 14 will release a RalliArt AirTrek Turbo sports package with a 240PS 4G63 turbo, INVECS-II sport mode 5 A/T,lowered 15mm suspension kit, "Hyper-package" 17 inch tire & aluminum wheel, sport muffler which emphasized heavy low-pitched sound, body kit and BMIC. MMC has already speculated about releasing such a car called AirTrek Turbo R, using the GTA 250ps 4G63 engine, so I guess the possibility is there if the Ralliart Turbo sports package is a demand.

Lee
Attached Thumbnails Some news on JDM Evo 8...-ralliart-airtrek-turbo.jpg  
Old Jun 10, 2002, 05:14 AM
RaX
Evolved Member

Well that's news to me. Thanks for the info Lee. Any more pics of that AirTrek?

Does BMIC mean Bonnet Mounted Intercooler?
Old Jun 10, 2002, 05:18 AM
Evolved Member

Look in the other cars section..I posted like a page of pics. I'd rather have that than an EVO

Quick Reply: Some news on JDM Evo 8...