Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Would anyone buy a worked evo

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2010, 07:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Green Meanie
I also want to say I have never sen anyone go 2.3 and NOT have issues
what??? does not make sense. Im going 2.3(in the closet lol) and my car will be a champ. you do realize my motor as well as others is built for the power no worries on our end unless the shorty was built shotty or something. its all the people pushing the stocker to the limits that should be scared

Originally Posted by penthouse
^^it's nice if they come with FP black too right rockman? LOL

dont know if your on a PERMINANT VACATION or a temp ban but if it came with a black heck yea that would be cool. I hope your not saying mine came with the mods in my sig lol. all mine had was

CRACKED megan header
Unbolted Cat(cause major exhaust leak)
Missing bolts in the engine bay around turbo(example o2 hous had 1 bolt)
missing 1 spring bolt on downpipe
Hks turbo timer(glad for this one)
aluminum petals
whiteface gauge cluster(color changing at night if i want to)
a dented intercooler
walbro 255(did not know it was a walbro bought a brand new one and replaced it)
brembo brakes needed to be repainted.

I drove the car like that back 22hours to LA. fix those issues first in first 2 months of ownership lol brand new 3" Invidia exhaust system with test pipe was my first mod. that smell in the cabin was dangerious then intercooler APS ftw etc..lol so no fp black on my car when i bought it a year+ ago was not even released lol. i did have a brand new fp red that i did nothing with lol.

Last edited by RockmanX; Feb 4, 2010 at 08:14 AM.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 10:42 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bought my Talon pretty heavily modified and swore I would never do it again
  • You spend more fixing a POs ****ups than you do buying new and doing it right yourself
  • Receipts are usually sparse to non-existent
  • Warranty doesn't transfer on many parts
  • Aging components with varying degrees of use or wear can have you playing "catch-up" with maintenance
  • The chances of the car being beat on are 100%, don't fool yourself. "Has never been to the track" may as well mean it was tracked every weekend
  • Most times they don't give you the replaced OEM parts, so when things break, you're footing the bill for replacements

I'm not saying you're buying a basketcase of a car, but the odds are against you even if things *look* okay. Don't trust the PO. They want to get rid of it more than you want to buy it, and will say whatever needs said to unload it for what they think it's worth.

Keep in mind that I understand that not all owners are trying to mislead you but look at it this way: you have nothing to lose if you simply assume they're lying to you and LOTS to lose if you foolishly trust them.

Last edited by raginghadron; Feb 4, 2010 at 10:56 AM.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 10:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Green Meanie
I also want to say I have never sen anyone go 2.3 and NOT have issues

Say what? fail....
Old Feb 4, 2010, 11:18 AM
Evolving Member

If you can find a car that is already setup just the way you would like it, then I would seriously consider buying it. But I would do lots of research into what you are buying, take multiple test drives, get a reputable shop to look it over.

These cars are designed to be driven hard, so if the owner used to track or auto-x it, that does not mean that the car is junk.

Do expect to do some tweaking after you purchase. Some owners simply live with problems that you will want to fix. Also, your personal preferences will likely be different, requiring some changes.
Old Feb 5, 2010, 02:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
If you like the way it was modded, then buying it already done will generally save you some $. I suggest talking to the shop that did the work. Was the transmission done? I have heard anything over 450hp and you want to upgrade the whole bottom end.
Old Feb 5, 2010, 03:11 PM

i just got one for 18k with alot of goodies
Old Feb 5, 2010, 03:34 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by nycrusader1914
Thanks for the info danny. Do You know anything else about this car that could help me out ?
No, I don't any more about the car as the guy never met up with my friend for some reason that i don;t know.
Old Feb 5, 2010, 03:38 PM

make sure you bargain him down, I only got 9000 for my 2003 when I sold it last year and it had 52000 miles and 465 wheel horse with meth.
Old Feb 9, 2010, 07:34 PM
Evolving Member

That seems like a pretty good deal considering all the parts that are on the car.
Old Feb 9, 2010, 07:46 PM
Evolving Member

Honestly, I would go through the car or if you don't know what you're looking at, pay someone to do it. You'd be amazed by some of the things that people leave out.