Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

FP Green vs Evo 9 turbo

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2010, 03:25 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FP Green vs Evo 9 turbo

I just purchased an FP Green turbo and i had planned on replacing my current turbo with it. I have an evo 8 with an evo 9 turbo and it was pushing 394 hp. I've looked at some numbers from basically the same build with the fp green turbo instead of the 9 and the numbers didnt look a whole lot better.

Is the FP Green a very good upgrade from a 9 turbo? If no, what could i upgrade to without spending an arm and a leg? i have a FP Green, 9 turbo, and a stock 8 turbo. I JUST WANT 1 GOOD TURBO!!!! WHAT DO I DO?!?!?!
Old Feb 6, 2010, 03:33 AM
Evolving Member

ok, so yes, i did some searching and i found some more information. Basically, there isn't a whole lot of difference between the two. Thats what i got from most of the information anyways.... FP Green is a little better, but not for the money that i just spent on the turbo. :-(

SO! I would like to get about 500 horses out of my engine. it has about 400 now. If i get rid of all of these turbos, what might i be looking for? what would be a nice CHEAPER turbo that will give me 5-550 horses?
Old Feb 6, 2010, 03:38 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by silkey00
what would be a nice CHEAPER turbo that will give me 5-550 horses?
More power for cheaper? If you figure that one out let me know Your next option is probably going to be the fp red/black and they are not cheaper. And of all the things I would cut cost on the turbo would not be it. g/l
Old Feb 6, 2010, 04:08 AM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you wanna be cheap and get good power. AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN! You want a legit turbo with legit power. Look into the BBK Full or the New BBK XL or the F.P - Black. Also, look into the Tomei ARMS. Those 3 turbos will yield some bomb *** power, expecially with E-85, with decent amount of supporting mods, and of course get/have the right tune!
Also, the F.P - HTA Green is a decent turbo as well, expect for te price you pay, it's NOT worth it IMO.

Every car (evo) is different, so you can not expect the same power as the oppsing car that has similar mods as you do. Remmeber that!
Old Feb 6, 2010, 05:34 AM
Account Disabled

you didn't specify octane so I'm assuming it's nothing special, maybe 93 octane. You're going to need a 35R to get into the 500+ territory if you can settle for a little less and want to save some money, get the FP Black
Old Feb 6, 2010, 08:26 AM
Evolved Member

The PT6262 is hot on the street right now and so is the FP BLACk. They aren't "cheap" turbos, but they definately are good at making power. I agress with Mellon Tuning, get the FP Black!
Old Feb 6, 2010, 08:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I agree with the rest of what the fellahs have said. You have to give more details in order to get a more informed response. Fuel, for instance, is a large part of it along with the modifications you presently have. If pump/93 is the only option for you, then the GT35r, HTA35r, or PT6262 will get you to the 500-550 mark. If E85 and/or meth is your fuel of choice, then the Tomei Arms, 73HTA Green, FP Red, or FP Black (in order of smallest to largest).
Old Feb 6, 2010, 08:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You also didn't specify which fp green you have...
Old Feb 6, 2010, 09:55 AM
Evolved Member

HTA Green on E85 will get you close, depending on supporting mods.
Old Feb 6, 2010, 10:20 AM
Evolving Member

ok. lol. sorry, ill try to specify a little bit. i have the green that is done by buschur. when i said cheap, i didnt mean like cheaper than any of the ones i listed, i just meant what the cheaper of the 5-550 hp turbos were. i know they can get very pricey. im not going to be running anything special as far as fuel goes, 93 octane most of the time. it will be mostly a show and track car, the occasional drive to work when its beautiful out. i just didnt get the feeling that the fp green is going to give me the power i want. so i have all three turbos and none of them are as powerful as i want. so ill get rid of all three of them and get one better one. staying around the $2000 mark probably. used or new. whatever. i just want to get over 500hp. then im going to be done with my engine..... hopefully i can get some better feedback now? :-D
Old Feb 6, 2010, 11:02 AM
Evolving Member

I have the BR green version turbo on my 8 and with many supporting mods on e85, my tuner put down 420. I'm upgrading to a new red or black this summer. So I would say a red or black as long as you have the supporting mods.
Old Feb 6, 2010, 02:39 PM

what all the mods you have on it to put down 394? also what do you have to do to make the 9 turbo work on the eight?
Old Feb 6, 2010, 02:47 PM
Evolved Member

Also. Do you have cams? The Stock 8 cams aren't as good for making power as the Stock 9 MIVEC cams are.
Old Feb 6, 2010, 02:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by silkey00
ok. lol. sorry, ill try to specify a little bit. i have the green that is done by buschur. when i said cheap, i didnt mean like cheaper than any of the ones i listed, i just meant what the cheaper of the 5-550 hp turbos were. i know they can get very pricey. im not going to be running anything special as far as fuel goes, 93 octane most of the time. it will be mostly a show and track car, the occasional drive to work when its beautiful out. i just didnt get the feeling that the fp green is going to give me the power i want. so i have all three turbos and none of them are as powerful as i want. so ill get rid of all three of them and get one better one. staying around the $2000 mark probably. used or new. whatever. i just want to get over 500hp. then im going to be done with my engine..... hopefully i can get some better feedback now? :-D
OK. Now I'm sure you'll get some nice feedback. Assuming that you are going to already have and/or get the usual supporting mods and the only thing missing is the turbo of choice, I'd say for your $2,000 stated threshold, that I'd get either a used 64mm FP Red with meth. With the 64mm FP Red, it's hit-or-miss rather or not you need to get the upgraded oil feed line. If that is a concern of yours, then look into a used 80mm FP Red as I've seen a couple for sale here lately. If meth is out of the question for you, the FP Black would be your final stock-framed turbo of choice on pump/93. If this isn't quite enough, your next logical choice should be the either the PT6262 or HTA35r with the .63 a/r for the slightly quicker spool.
Old Feb 6, 2010, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by pure_evo
OK. Now I'm sure you'll get some nice feedback. Assuming that you are going to already have and/or get the usual supporting mods and the only thing missing is the turbo of choice, I'd say for your $2,000 stated threshold, that I'd get either a used 64mm FP Red with meth. With the 64mm FP Red, it's hit-or-miss rather or not you need to get the upgraded oil feed line. If that is a concern of yours, then look into a used 80mm FP Red as I've seen a couple for sale here lately. If meth is out of the question for you, the FP Black would be your final stock-framed turbo of choice on pump/93. If this isn't quite enough, your next logical choice should be the either the PT6262 or HTA35r with the .63 a/r for the slightly quicker spool.
^^^^^^

Quick Reply: FP Green vs Evo 9 turbo