Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

HELP getting dark and hands are freezing!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2010, 01:58 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation HELP getting dark and hands are freezing!

I'm outside trying to replace my stock rubber shifter bushings and I've gotten the washer and pins out but the bushings are STUCK. I've been going at it for hours now and they just WON'T budge. I started cutting away at the rubber in hopes it would get loose and come off but no luck.

Its getting dark out and I've only gotten started on one bushing. The bigger one is the same thing. Has anyone else run into this problem while trying to remove them? What can I do to get these bad boys off. I've even tried squeezing a vise grip around it and pulling up to no avail. Please someone help..

Last edited by guapoholic; Feb 9, 2010 at 02:06 PM.
Old Feb 9, 2010, 02:10 PM
Evolving Member

i just did mine today.. i did the shifter base and underhood bushing in a hour total...lol but what i did for the ones under the hood is take an extension and put it in the middle of the rubber and pushed the hail outa it.... the big one came out by me pushing on it with my thumb... but the bushings have a little lip on both sides...
Old Feb 9, 2010, 02:14 PM
Evolving Member

I have 3 deep cuts on my hands as a result of pushing, pushing and PUSHING. My hand is banging up against everything sharp in the bay and I'm getting so f***ing frustrated. Would spraying so WD40 or something loosen it pu since the center piece is metal.
Old Feb 9, 2010, 02:14 PM
Evolving Member

put your back into it, mine were a pain in the ***. i used a screwdriver
Old Feb 9, 2010, 02:15 PM

Try wd40 or pb blaster and let it sit. Are you having a hard time getting the bushings out of the ends of the cables, or getting the bushings off of the shifter levers/arms?
Old Feb 9, 2010, 02:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You could try heating them up to make them more plyable.
Old Feb 9, 2010, 02:18 PM
Evolving Member

The bushings off the shifter arms. The cables are detached and out of the way already..

Originally Posted by KtownEVO8
You could try heating them up to make them more plyable.
Tried that already.. this rubber is very durable. It just gives off an awful smell and never softens up..nothing more.
Old Feb 9, 2010, 02:21 PM

Let a little bit of wd40 sit in them and then try spinning them with a pair of vice grips.
Old Feb 9, 2010, 02:25 PM
Evolving Member

F***. Well looks like no changing these for me today. I don't have another car and no WD40 at my disposal. Can I use cooking oil :-P JK. Ugh... This is the toughest time I've had changing something so simple.
Old Feb 9, 2010, 02:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Spray WD-40 in there and give it hell. I know how you're feeling about freezing though...This December, me and my bro replaced the transfer case on his Nissan Titan...at night, wind blowing in Utah with wind chill in the single digits. We HAD to take breaks every 20-25 minutes because feeling was lost in our hands and feet (we had warming packs in our gloves and socks).

Sucks bad but it's one of those things you just gotta get through (if you wanna drive again)

Any kind of lubricant will work, just spray something between the bushing and the arm. Try twisting the bushing around to allow the lubricant to spread around. If that doesn't work, try squeezing a flat head screwdriver underneath the bushing and push out.

Good luck!

Last edited by Babs; Feb 9, 2010 at 02:29 PM.
Old Feb 9, 2010, 02:50 PM
Evolving Member

Well I just received some good news. We have a snow storm watch for tomorrow... HOORAY! I need a goddam flash light and some DAM WD40 NOW!!
Old Feb 9, 2010, 02:51 PM
Evolving Member

us cooking oil if you have it..... it wont hurt
Old Feb 9, 2010, 03:48 PM

I had the same problem too so I just use a dremel and cut the bushing where ever I can and put pb blaster in there and just hit it around so the pb can work it self in and sooner or later it will get loose enough to turn and come off but this is wat I did to get mines out

Originally Posted by guapoholic
I'm outside trying to replace my stock rubber shifter bushings and I've gotten the washer and pins out but the bushings are STUCK. I've been going at it for hours now and they just WON'T budge. I started cutting away at the rubber in hopes it would get loose and come off but no luck.

Its getting dark out and I've only gotten started on one bushing. The bigger one is the same thing. Has anyone else run into this problem while trying to remove them? What can I do to get these bad boys off. I've even tried squeezing a vise grip around it and pulling up to no avail. Please someone help..
Old Feb 10, 2010, 10:51 AM
Evolving Member

Ok so I successfully got both bushings off with some good ol fashioned Crisco veggie oil We have a snow storm watch so we had to move our cars off the main road and the cop gave me "10 mins to do what you gotta do to move your car" or it would be towed So I started working fast lol. I got the arms around the old bushings enough to move the car in the driveway.

Now I have another problem.. I can't get the new bushings to go all the way down because of rust or w.e it may be.. The cooking oil wasn't coming through this time either so idk what to do. Have anyone used agency power bushings btw... I'm wondering where those two rubber washers go.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 11:07 AM
Evolving Member

i think i have read of people having to sand them down a lil bit but wow, i got mine off and in within 10 min lol, easy when u have the mini battery kit too, dont forget to antiseize them up generously before putting them on incase you ever need to take em off