Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Exhaust Muffler / Tip - Opinions Please

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2010, 07:04 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ernald711
off topic, but i would ditch the QTP if you want your turbo to last...
Did not know QTP was a threat to my turbo? Please explain...

...But if you really want to keep it, keep your exhaust stock looking. who cares about looks when performance is what you have with your QTP.
Looks are improtant to me, thats why I have an evo...I have a number of friends who have crapped looking cars with high HP, I just prefer a clean look and overall perfromance as well. IMO

Again, whats the deal with the QTP's?
Old Feb 15, 2010, 05:54 PM
Evolved Member

I've been reading arourd Socalevo.net and most of us Socal guys (in WA for the military) used to all have one and it was a trend for a while before more info on it came out. It's not bad if your tuned. There is a backpressure myth that all Evo guys will debate over time and time again. Turbo cars need backpressure, turbo cars don't and so forth. The main thing i've read about is that the QTP (untuned) will create overboost in the turbo.

"For those who don't know why everyone is saying why you need to get a tune:

A turbocharger is a fan pump driven by exhaust gases. A turbocharger has a turbine and a compressor. The turbine uses exhaust rotate the compressor fan. The compressor then pumps air into the intake mani. The additional pressure makes use of more fuel equaling more power. The intake pressure must be controlled by controlling the rotational speed of the turbocharger by means of the wastegate by routing some exhaust away from the turbo to prevent over boost.

So when you decrease back pressure by getting a larger exhaust, you are allowing the turbo to spool easier without changing wastegate settings, and you may lean out your Air/Fuel mixture to the point where you may damage your engine. The leaner your Air/Fuel mixture, the hotter it burns causing pre-detination which causes your pistons / rods / bearings to become damaged.

In extreme cases the pressure could directly cause physical damage. " - Socalevo.net member

Here's the thread from Socalevo. The good stuff starts on the 2nd page.
QTP Cut-Out

Two tunes (or Maps) would be nice to where you can switch, but the majority would rather run a tune for the QTP open, meaning run rich when it's closed. Running rich is definitly way better than running too lean for the sake of the motor.

I'm more of a visual guy, and black and white numbers help me in making decisions. Here's a comparison pic. The baseline tune is the solid lines, while the QTP on the same tune is dashed. If you are really more concerned about this, I suggest you start a thread on the Evo Advanced side of the house, as this thread would no longer belong here. Sorry if i confused you more, but hope have helped you out in some way.

Last edited by ernald711; Feb 15, 2010 at 06:14 PM.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 06:13 PM
Evolving Member

I've been reading arourd Socalevo.net and most of us Socal guys (in WA for the military) used to all have one and it was a trend for a while before more info on it came out. It's not bad if your tuned. There is a backpressure myth that all Evo guys will debate over time and time again. Turbo cars need backpressure, turbo cars don't and so forth. The main thing i've read about is that the QTP (untuned) will create overboost in the turbo.

"For those who don't know why everyone is saying why you need to get a tune:

A turbocharger is a fan pump driven by exhaust gases. A turbocharger has a turbine and a compressor. The turbine uses exhaust rotate the compressor fan. The compressor then pumps air into the intake mani. The additional pressure makes use of more fuel equaling more power. The intake pressure must be controlled by controlling the rotational speed of the turbocharger by means of the wastegate by routing some exhaust away from the turbo to prevent over boost.

So when you decrease back pressure by getting a larger exhaust, you are allowing the turbo to spool easier without changing wastegate settings, and you may lean out your Air/Fuel mixture to the point where you may damage your engine. The leaner your Air/Fuel mixture, the hotter it burns causing pre-detination which causes your pistons / rods / bearings to become damaged.

In extreme cases the pressure could directly cause physical damage. " - Socalevo.net member

I'm more of a visual guy, and black and white numbers help me in making decisions. Here's a comparison pic. The baseline tune is the solid lines, while the QTP on the same tune is dashed. If you are really more concerned about this, I suggest you start a thread on the Evo Advanced side of the house, as this thread would no longer belong here. Sorry if i confused you more, but hope have helped you out in some way.

Interesting....I am (rather conservative like) tuned for 24PSI with the cut-out open. Then ran over on numerous logs out in the street with consistent results. I rarely run the cut-out open...in fact, I rarely drive the car...maybe once every 2-3 weeks for 100 miles or so.

On another note, that dyno data went from 77 degrees to 101 on comparison for ambient temperature (24 degree spread?)
Old Feb 15, 2010, 06:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by vetboss
On another note, that dyno data went from 77 degrees to 101 on comparison for ambient temperature (24 degree spread?)
Yeah, looks like they had to cool her down after that. But still, cooler and the QTP didn't produce great results on the same tune?
Old Feb 15, 2010, 06:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by vetboss

Looks are improtant to me, thats why I have an evo...I have a number of friends who have crapped looking cars with high HP, I just prefer a clean look and overall perfromance as well. IMO
That's why I posted this.

Originally Posted by rush63
http://thmotorsports.com/vibrant/vib...3/i-37080.aspx

http://thmotorsports.com/magnaflow/m.../i-152727.aspx

http://thmotorsports.com/thermal_rd/...4/i-35658.aspx

Not a bolt-on though. The only axlebacks I know of that bolts on to the stock midpipe are Buschur's old axle back and Work's Exhale axle back.
Or are you just looking for a single wall tip?
Old Feb 15, 2010, 06:39 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah, looks like they had to cool her down after that. But still, cooler and the QTP didn't produce great results on the same tune?
I got ~25WHP and slightly less WTQ on a flipped switch...same tune

thanks for the input
Old Feb 15, 2010, 06:55 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by rush63
That's why I posted this.

Or are you just looking for a single wall tip?
Rush...

Thanks for the links!

Single wall (with a little less?) tip....yes, I like the look of V-manracing exhaust (he posted earlier on page 1), he says its a magnaflow with a single tip...just waiting for him to chime back and tell me which it is. I wont order anything until I confirm some details. Check his album out and tell me what you think. I think it looks good close to stock just a more polished look and tucked noice under the bumper. If I can find out which one he has that matches the links you sent with the right tip, I'll order it and weld it on

I also saw Sgt petty 210's $25 ebay exhaust, but it looks a little too aggressive, slanted too much and I think it has got a burnt tip which is not what I am looking for...looks nice for $25 though

Also wanted to show my peeps at the p shop and let them chime in on which muffler would fit best, not look bulky, etc,etc.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 09:09 AM
Evolving Member

Get a vibrant muffler and paint it black.

On my old sentra I just had a 3" turn down tip painted black. Maybe you can look into that. J bought be turn Dow. Section at pep boys for $8 then had my friend weld it on for me
Old Feb 16, 2010, 04:56 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by limp_noodle
Get a vibrant muffler and paint it black.
I actually want some shine to it, so I want it to resemble the stock muffler and tip (smaller tip though).

Got a link for the vibrant?
Old Feb 16, 2010, 08:13 PM
Evolving Member

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trk...All-Categories
Old Feb 16, 2010, 08:44 PM
Evolving Member

That is not my muffler... mine is a magnaflow 3" offset inlet and 3" center outlet oval muffler, My friend owns a muffler shop and that that's what he had in the shop. we put a basic 3" chrome tip on it, the tip was longer but cut to fit. it may of been for a truck. I'll send some pics of it .

Last edited by v-manracing; Feb 16, 2010 at 08:48 PM.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 03:36 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by v-manracing
That is not my muffler... mine is a magnaflow 3" offset inlet and 3" center outlet oval muffler, My friend owns a muffler shop and that that's what he had in the shop. we put a basic 3" chrome tip on it, the tip was longer but cut to fit. it may of been for a truck. I'll send some pics of it .
Thanks man, look forward to the pics. Please get some shots of it from underneath or close to the ground so I can see what it looks like at the weld if possible.

But I';; settle for what you got when you get it
Old Feb 17, 2010, 05:41 PM
Evolving Member

pics are up

Last edited by v-manracing; Feb 17, 2010 at 07:35 PM. Reason: pics did'nt tun outt
Old Feb 17, 2010, 07:43 PM
Evolving Member

here is my new setup after I got pulled over for illegal exhaust, sounds good and looks stock, 3" from turbo all the way to tip, the muffler has 3" inlet and outlet.

Last edited by v-manracing; Feb 18, 2010 at 04:57 PM.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 11:58 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by v-manracing

here is my new setup after I got pulled over for illegal exhaust, sounds good and looks stock, 3" from turbo all the way to tip, the muffler has 3" inlet and outlet.
Thanks man, I assume this is the same picture that I saw in your album on your CP.

Any other shots, closer, below the bumper, and the weld spot would be nice too if possible

Did you saw a magnaflow or a dynamax the PM?

Quick Reply: Exhaust Muffler / Tip - Opinions Please