Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Exhaust Muffler / Tip - Opinions Please

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2010, 04:26 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhaust Muffler / Tip - Opinions Please

I got a QTP Cut out, so a TBE/cat back is not necesary....but the stock muffler/tip looks ugly and needs to go

I would like to upgrade just the muffler and am hoping to solicit some ideas from the community.

Here are my preferences:

1) My desire to change out the stocker has everything to do with asthetics (the QTP does fine when open and my tune is set for the stock exhaust).

2) I am hoping to not have such a large tip as the stock, maybe sizing it down some to get below the radar if posssible. A lseek design that does not scream "hey copper come and get me".

3) I dont need it to be any louder, but am prepared that this may be the case.

3) I do not want a tip to stick out out past the stock bumper (mounting can offset this if the muffler has a long tip).

Lastly, I saw a GG VIII or IX on Rt. 7 between Purcelville VA and Leesburg VA a few months ago. This particular evo had an aftermarket tip that was perfect...not sure if he/she or anyone else may know who this was and if I can get a picture or info on their set-up (I am not sure if it was possibly just a muffler or full exhaust set-up, I am not sure, the weather was bad this day).

Anyhow, Ideas and pics would be great, thanks much

PS - how do I get my post's title to be in bold?? Everyone elses is, but I seem to fail at it everytime

Last edited by vetboss; Feb 10, 2010 at 04:28 PM.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 02:04 PM
Evolving Member

bump
Old Feb 11, 2010, 02:26 PM
Evolving Member

get a magnaflow or something like that
Old Feb 11, 2010, 06:49 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
buschur's exhausts have very subtle tips...depending on the location of your cut out you could run their dual muffler set up (one replaces a test pipe/cat

I myself run their exhaust due to it's lightweight and subtle look
Old Feb 11, 2010, 06:51 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i am bucshur all the way man. i really like man
Old Feb 11, 2010, 07:36 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
Old Feb 13, 2010, 03:39 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by chaotichoax
buschur's exhausts have very subtle tips...depending on the location of your cut out you could run their dual muffler set up (one replaces a test pipe/cat

I myself run their exhaust due to it's lightweight and subtle look
I was hoping to just run a rear mufler. I like their SD, but it does not look like it will bolt up to the stock cat back. Any thoughts on the application to stock cat back? I assume it will need to be cut and welded on.

My QTP is the down pipe with cutout just below my feet...stock cat is intact.

What is the benefit of running two mufflers aside from noise supression?
Old Feb 13, 2010, 03:41 PM
Evolving Member

Any one know of a 3" tip on the market that is pleaseing to the eye? Performance wise I am happy with the cut-out, so keeping the looks good and the price low and bolt on (if possible) is the goal
Old Feb 14, 2010, 12:20 PM
Evolving Member

I got pulled over for my apex muffler, the cop told me I had to change it back to stock. WTF
he did'nt give me a ticket but Iam the only silver evo in town(I live in a small town, only three evo's) I did'nt want to get messed with again so I had a magna flow strait through muffler put on with a 3" tip, looks like factoy but still sound good. deep tone.
Old Feb 14, 2010, 03:10 PM
Evolved Member

http://thmotorsports.com/vibrant/vib...3/i-37080.aspx

http://thmotorsports.com/magnaflow/m.../i-152727.aspx

http://thmotorsports.com/thermal_rd/...4/i-35658.aspx

Not a bolt-on though. The only axlebacks I know of that bolts on to the stock midpipe are Buschur's old axle back and Work's Exhale axle back.

Last edited by rush63; Feb 14, 2010 at 03:14 PM.
Old Feb 14, 2010, 04:53 PM
Evolved Member

I have the buschur tbe exhaust on my car, but i could not stand looking at that ugly muffler hanging out the back of my car anymore. Then the so called HFC was not high flow. I put a perrin HFC on it and I am much happier. Then I went and bought a twenty five dollar muffler on ebay and installed it. My exhaust sounds much better, and looks so much better. Now I just need to get spacers on the downpipe because it is sitting on my cross member.
Old Feb 14, 2010, 06:24 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by v-manracing
....magna flow strait through muffler put on with a 3" tip, looks like factoy but still sound good. deep tone.
pics? I saw a picture of the rear of your car in your garage album...can you get some close ups of this 3" magnaflow from a few angles and post. That would be greatly appreciated! I assume that this muffler bolts up to the stock rear pipe or is it a weld job? Also, which mufler is it as I know they make a few of them

Thanks
Old Feb 14, 2010, 06:36 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sgt_petty_210
...I went and bought a twenty five dollar muffler on ebay and installed it. My exhaust sounds much better, and looks so much better../
pics of this 25 dollar muffler? I am pretty sure that it aint the one that I saw in your garage pics?

Thanks
Old Feb 14, 2010, 06:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by vetboss
pics of this 25 dollar muffler? I am pretty sure that it aint the one that I saw in your garage pics?

Thanks
Sure not a problem. Im not sure which pic you seen in my garage. If it stuck out further then it should, then you seen the buschur exhaust on it. Here is the link to my thread of my photoshoot. there you will see perfectly what my 25 dollar ebay muffler looks like. It is a 3 inch inlet so I lose no power what so ever, nor does it effect me in any negative way. Dont forget to show some love on the car to lol. Nobody posted in a few days and i need some feedback on how the car looks. Thanks.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...06-evo-ix.html
Old Feb 15, 2010, 12:51 AM
Evolved Member

off topic, but i would ditch the QTP if you want your turbo to last. But if you really want to keep it, keep your exhaust stock looking. who cares about looks when performance is what you have with your QTP.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Muffler / Tip - Opinions Please