Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Hood Vent question for guys up north

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2010, 02:47 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hey man i am wv i was scared just like you. i put a trash bag over my vent and let them snow pile up on it overnight and just took it off in the morning cause i was worried about my manny or something getting hot an cracking with that water down in it.
Old Feb 12, 2010, 05:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guys... Mitsu has made design flaws in the past... but I dont think they would put a big hole in the hood if i cant handle the potential elements that were inevitably going to come through. Our cars are street legal rally cars. Rallying is the only type of racing that happens in all environments... dry, wet, mud, ice, snow, etc. Our car even has a setting on the ACD for Snow. So cover if it bothers you, but I would worry about other things... Like finding big parking lots to make snow donuts in!
Old Feb 12, 2010, 09:16 AM

I keep the vent on mine, but in general, if there's enough snow it will build up on the mesh and not go past. I wouldn't worry about it.
Old Feb 12, 2010, 03:13 PM
Evolved Member

Is snow worse than rain for the top of your engine? Does the vent stop rain from going in?
Old Feb 12, 2010, 03:18 PM
Evolving Member

i had my vent off and my car sat over night in the snow and wouldn't start because water got under the spark plug cover and my car wouldn't start until it dried out
Old Feb 12, 2010, 04:57 PM
Evolved Member

And when it rains it starts?
Old Feb 13, 2010, 08:40 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by timmycat
i had my vent off and my car sat over night in the snow and wouldn't start because water got under the spark plug cover and my car wouldn't start until it dried out
Uh wow. Did you leave your hood off? Considering the vent is about 6 inches forward of your spark plug cover, i find that VERY hard to believe.
Old Feb 13, 2010, 09:25 PM
Evolved Member

I don't know about how it would be in the snow since i'm up in WA. It rains here a lot and i just have the grill with no vent. no problems starting my car and no rust issues or anything like that. my BBK is still as shiny as when i got her.
Old Feb 13, 2010, 10:03 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by UD Kingo
Guys... Mitsu has made design flaws in the past... but I dont think they would put a big hole in the hood if i cant handle the potential elements that were inevitably going to come through. Our cars are street legal rally cars. Rallying is the only type of racing that happens in all environments... dry, wet, mud, ice, snow, etc. Our car even has a setting on the ACD for Snow. So cover if it bothers you, but I would worry about other things... Like finding big parking lots to make snow donuts in!
So since they designed a vent cover to go in that big hole you speak of, you're saying that he should just leave it out?

It won't really hurt anything but your engine bay is going to get dirty as ****. I'm about an hour away from Norfolk and I can tell you right now that removing it is probably going to accelerate any corrosion problems that you might run into anyway due to the salt in the air. I'd put it in there at least until winter ends and we stop getting so much rain/snow. Seized nuts and bolts can be a pain.