Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Frost INSIDE the car.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2010, 06:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Frost INSIDE the car.

So I'm on Ohio and is COLD. However, I have been getting into my car in the mornings lately and there has been ice on the glass INSIDE the car (usually outside too, but not always) I mean obviously its cold, but it just seams weird to me that the inside is frozen. Is moisture somehow getting into my car? Should I run the AC to get moisture out? Anyone else experience this?

Thanks!
Old Feb 12, 2010, 06:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts
Never saw this in 5 winters in my evo. I'd say there is moisture getting in somewhere. Being you have a MR check the passenger side firewall where the factory gauge wires come through if I'm not mistaken. May be getting it coming from that area.

Silicone it up if that looks to be the case
Old Feb 12, 2010, 06:41 AM

Ill take a peak later if I can... but its cold! haha. Seems like that is so tiny though. You really think that could be it?
Old Feb 12, 2010, 06:43 AM

I recently saw this happen to a guy at work with his Prius. I was always under the assumption that it was due to a leak in the ventilation system that allows air to be exchanged with the outside while the car is off, or something like a leak in a door seal. Leaking heater cores will cause the same thing as that moisture is in the ventilation system, evaporates and goes straight toward the windshield.
Old Feb 12, 2010, 06:48 AM

i agree with matt, if any moisture gets into the car when it evaporates the first place the air goes is to the windshield, and if its cold boom u got ice.
Old Feb 12, 2010, 07:04 AM

I still have warranty... would mitsu do anything for this??
Old Feb 12, 2010, 07:10 AM
Evolving Member

happened in my rsx when the windows were really foggy from sitting in it, next morning they were frozen lol
Old Feb 12, 2010, 07:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have never had this happen to me.

mitsubishi would probably not find any cause and send you on your way. however, if it was a significant leak they did find then yes, they would warranty it.

it might not be that they are freezing overnight, but that there is moisture already in there and fog on any windows would turn to ice.

maybe try windexing or cleaning your windows and drying them and see if it still happens.

Last edited by evo unknown; Feb 12, 2010 at 07:11 AM. Reason: additional comment
Old Feb 12, 2010, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by evo unknown
maybe try windexing or cleaning your windows and drying them and see if it still happens.
I cleaned all the windows about a week ago before Ohio got all the snow. I mean I guess this is simple laws of H2O, but I just want to know where and why!
Old Feb 12, 2010, 07:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
did you sit in your car for any period of time after you turned the air off? ive had this happen to me before last winter
Old Feb 12, 2010, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by aryder
did you sit in your car for any period of time after you turned the air off? ive had this happen to me before last winter
I have, but only a couple times out of the many times this has happened.
Old Feb 12, 2010, 08:28 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by UD Kingo
Is moisture somehow getting into my car? Should I run the AC to get moisture out? Anyone else experience this?
What you describe it totally normal. Every time you get into your car, you bring in moisture (in the form of snow) into your car. When you drive, it melts and turns into water. When you leave the car, that moisture turns into frost on inside on the car.

This usually happens in cars when people don't kick off the snow/water from the boots before they get in. I sit in the chair, lave my boot outside the car, then clap my boots outside the car about 5 times so all the crap falls off, then bring the boots inside. Having rubber floormats in winter helps a lot as well, since you can just take out the rubber mat and pour out the water/shake off the snow before you lock up the car for the night.

You can try taking a shop vac to your floor mats and under them to get rid of some of the water. You can also leave your windows a little open during a dry day so the water can evaporate out of the car (yes, it still works on cloudy and below freezing days)
Old Feb 12, 2010, 10:08 AM
Evolved Member

^ I hear what you are saying but I have had plenty of snow in my car from my boots. Never had the windows ice from the inside
Old Feb 12, 2010, 10:20 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gsrboi80
^ I hear what you are saying but I have had plenty of snow in my car from my boots. Never had the windows ice from the inside
It was a daily occurrence for me when I used to live Canada... I think the conditions have to be just right, the right humidity, enough water and the cold temps outside. I never had it happen here yet in PA as an example.
Old Feb 12, 2010, 10:50 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by xtnct
I never had it happen here yet in PA as an example.
This is where mine spends most of its time

Quick Reply: Frost INSIDE the car.