Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Hearing knock?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2010, 10:28 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hearing knock?

I was just looking around at randow threads and i had 2 in a row about knock? i know alot of basics just not alot but they said they could literally hear the knock?

What does it sound like?... i have had my car tuned and i was playing it safe and we tuned it not extensively so that i would have no chance of knock which is what i was looking for previously before the tune i bought it with a real rough tune and it would get to about 4 counts of knock but i could never hear it and i am just curious if someone can explain a little more of what it would sound like and at what points of knock will you hear it?
Old Feb 14, 2010, 11:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
when you have a huge knock like putting 87 in when you are tuned for 93 it will sound like BBs in a coffee can
Old Feb 14, 2010, 11:06 AM
Evolved Member

If you can hear the knock it's really bad, and it's going to more than 4 counts on the logger. I can say exactly what knock count it would be because I would never let my car run like that.
It sounds like a ball peen hammer stricking and anvil.
Old Feb 14, 2010, 11:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by turbolarry
If you can hear the knock it's really bad, and it's going to more than 4 counts on the logger. I can say exactly what knock count it would be because I would never let my car run like that.
It sounds like a ball peen hammer stricking and anvil.
Well, sorta - more of a click than a ring. I've been driving turbo 4g63 cars since 1992 and I've never heard knock in one of these. If you do it is time to pull over.

On the other hand, I used to drive an S-10 Blazer that would knock on any upgrade. So, it knocked loudly about half the time and this knocking never seemed to hurt it. Weird.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 10:10 AM
Evolving Member

I myseld are not hearing knock. I just read threads about people hearing knock and i didnt know you could actually hear it so i was just curious. I run 0 counts of knock after my tune and before i would hit about 4 - 5 counts but could never hear it... the people i was reading about had counts from 12- 80 ! which is insane

At what counts of knock would your engine be done for?

I also thought at 10 points your ecu will switch over to the low octane map so it runs richer so you dont do as much severe damage?