Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Lancer Evolution RS Thread [MEGA MERGE]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2003, 11:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Will be interesting to see if there is any difference in lap times under more controlled conditions both on pavement and gravel courses. I would supect so. One may need to add the rear spoiler to the RS to properly compare apples to apples.
Old Nov 6, 2003, 11:38 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Personally, I like the idea of not having any of the other items. You watch in a couple of years you guys will be looking to yank your A/C. It happens all the time. Except maybe you down in Texas or Florida or anyplace where it's Africa hot.

Me personally, the RS is a car for those guys that want a hardcore racecar. It's ashame there isn't an organized Evo club like the Porsche club or BMW club that would put on club races where guys build their Evo's to spec's laid out according various classes similar to Showroom Stock. That would be the place for the RS. Half the work of gutting a car is done for you.

I see the RS as the Cobra R for .

Granted the wing should stay or if it's an option equally as good. However, nothing else should be optional like ABS, A/C or any power accessories. Look at the new BMW M-3CSL.

As for the price we'll see....

Lastly, why are people worried about warrenty? You shot it out the window with your stage zero kit or whatever you did.
Old Nov 6, 2003, 11:43 AM
choad

The spec sheet shows there should be a difference, but it would be a difference measured in tenths of a second, well within the limits of driver error.
Big deal..

Bad driver in a stripped Evo..
Good driver in a car with all the options..

Looks like a wash..

But the guy with air conditioning was "cooler"..
Old Nov 6, 2003, 01:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by M3lachsilber

Just think, if they brought over the MR or a "loaded" EVO 8, you could own BOTH!!! One to race and one to drive daily!!
Now you're talking. That's the smartest thing I've read all day.
Old Nov 6, 2003, 01:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Just like BMW CSL's, Alfa GTA's, Carrera RS and RSR's, early M3's, and Ferrari competition cars (eg, aluminum SWB and GTO's), stripped out 426 Hemi's w/ heater delete options, Chevys with L88 w/ aluminum heads, Ford Thunderbolts, Shelby GT-350 R-types, competition Cobras (427 and FIA 289) and more. Just keep them coming.

And as we all know they were undesirable cars for most people when they were initially sold, but they sure arent cheap any more - even the ones that got crashed repeatedly on the track.

These machines provide some of the finest in motoring but admittedly they require some compromises on part of their respective owners. Not everyone's gig.

Originally posted by M3lachsilber

I like the concept of the RS...I also liked the RS America AND the M3 Lightweight..BUT I WOULDN"T BUY ONE!

Maybe it's a personal preference thing, what do you think?!

Enjoy the RS....and keep it forever because you will indeed own an EVO that will appeal to FAR less people in the long run..and therfore carry a much LOWER long term value(not to mention beat up on the track)
Old Nov 6, 2003, 08:30 PM
Evolving Member

This RS sounds good but NO ABS??

Does Mitsubishi know why Dodge added ABS to the new/current Viper? The old/original Viper always posted sub par braking distances in magazine exotic car comparoes because of it's lack of ABS.

Does anyone know if Mistu dropped the brake distribution module thing too?

Last edited by ESCALVANTE; Nov 6, 2003 at 08:32 PM.
Old Nov 7, 2003, 12:12 AM
Evolved Member

no ABS according to C&D....

Originally posted by shiv@vishnu

What about them? They are still there. They aren't ommitted in the RS.
Old Nov 7, 2003, 07:15 AM

Question

Without reading through all 15 pages to see if someone answered this already ... When do you suppose MMNA will have RS info. on their site?

-Mike.
Old Nov 7, 2003, 09:20 AM

Originally posted by alleggerita
Just like BMW CSL's, Alfa GTA's, Carrera RS and RSR's, early M3's, and Ferrari competition cars (eg, aluminum SWB and GTO's), stripped out 426 Hemi's w/ heater delete options, Chevys with L88 w/ aluminum heads, Ford Thunderbolts, Shelby GT-350 R-types, competition Cobras (427 and FIA 289) and more. Just keep them coming.

And as we all know they were undesirable cars for most people when they were initially sold, but they sure arent cheap any more - even the ones that got crashed repeatedly on the track.

These machines provide some of the finest in motoring but admittedly they require some compromises on part of their respective owners. Not everyone's gig.

Wow, dead on. You said exactly what I wanted to say. This car will probably end up being one of the most sought-after EVOs made.
The thing is, most of the rice-boy dreamers who infest this board like vermin don't understand most of what you just typed.
Old Nov 7, 2003, 09:39 AM
Evolving Member

I think the problem most people have with the RS is that the price point is too high for the little benefit one can get.

rs 26.x thousand
evo 28.8 thousand

For a little more than 2k in savings you loose about 90pounds. (this will translate into less than 0.1sec on the drag strip - and an equally negligible difference on the auto-x).

The price point is still too high to be able to pull possible SRT-4 drivers from buying the neon and that's what this car seems marketed towards.

This car is NOT a trailer queen. It is meant to be street driven. It is not a race car. It is a hybrid at best.

Let me ask: Is the STi a race car because it comes without a radio?

I love the evo. I hope we get the MR evo. But, I see the RS as another marketing venue. I would guess that the Mitsubishi sales department thought up the RS.
Old Nov 7, 2003, 10:58 AM

Originally posted by meisnerboy
I think the problem most people have with the RS is that the price point is too high for the little benefit one can get.

rs 26.x thousand
evo 28.8 thousand

For a little more than 2k in savings you loose about 90pounds. (this will translate into less than 0.1sec on the drag strip - and an equally negligible difference on the auto-x).

The price point is still too high to be able to pull possible SRT-4 drivers from buying the neon and that's what this car seems marketed towards.

This car is NOT a trailer queen. It is meant to be street driven. It is not a race car. It is a hybrid at best.

I love the evo. I hope we get the MR evo. But, I see the RS as another marketing venue. I would guess that the Mitsubishi sales department thought up the RS.
I think you're correct with this statement and I also feel that the RS's that don't make into some sort of competition will retain their value over time.

I have a new (second) car coming to me within a year and this is looking to be a great candidate... hopefully the MY05 EVO doesn't revert to the new front end (I'm not a big fan, personally).

-Mike.
Old Nov 7, 2003, 11:00 AM
Evolved Member

rs 26.x thousand
evo 28.8 thousand

The RS is NOT, I reapeat, NOT a new model to the Evo lineup!

RS = cusotmizability at a lower cost. Full out race cars usually use their own high end parts (e.g., customizability), so Mitsu provides a bare bones Evo for you to customize. That's what it is.

I swear, you people need to stop *****ing about bad marketing or whatever because that's not the case. If you don't like it, then don't get it. It's as simple as that.

And I highly doubt the RS is aimed at the SRT-4 market, whoever first mentioned it...

EDIT: Yes, the RS IS meant to be a race car. No AC, no sound deadening? Those are not creature comforts you give up for performance in a daily driver.

Last edited by zstryder; Nov 7, 2003 at 11:02 AM.
Old Nov 7, 2003, 11:11 AM
MP5
In Timeout

rs 26.x thousand
evo 28.8 thousand

Sorry I dont agree it just goes to show that there ist much of a savings to be had in an already value packed car. There isnt much weight to be shaved either which is quite a testament- has limited it to the racing colors and the deletion of the ac is the key indicator that this is a track model- much in the same sense as the ferrari challenge, viper acr with the exception of the EVOs must be street compliant as rally cars are. This is a racecar that they werent stupid enough to limit only to the track. We wills ee if you can buy the antilag tubes and other race hardware from MUSA in the future
Old Nov 7, 2003, 11:17 AM

Read the post I quoted a little too quickly and misunderstood everything that was said... I don't beleive that the EVO RS is aimed and any other car besides it's current competition.

Just because you lower the price on a car, that doesn't mean that your changing the targeted demographic of that car. Will others be interested in it and possibly own an EVO now... sure, but those people are for the most part those that would've bought one eventually anyway (like me)

BTW, I don't mind foregoing lots of things for speed... although my GF might hate me!

-Mike.
Old Nov 7, 2003, 11:24 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by zstryder

EDIT: Yes, the RS IS meant to be a race car. No AC, no sound deadening? Those are not creature comforts you give up for performance in a daily driver.
Sorry but no.

Mitsubishi is in the business to sell and market cars not build race cars.

IF the RS was meant to be a race car...

Why not remove all US imposed crash bracing and reduce weight to WRC spec (around 2600lbs)?

Why does it have a back seat?

Why does it have a passanger seat?

Why does it have rear windows?

Why CAN you register it and drive it on the street?

Why does it have a cat?

Why doesn't it have a roll cage?

Why does it have airbags?

Why does it have a heater?

Shall I go on or are you getting my point?

The point is that any car which will be a hybrid car (street and track) will need an ac and radio. Even Al's 600hp evo still has an ac. He brags about getting an 11.6 and then riding home with the ac blasting (meaning he didn't need crappy underdrive pulleys like he did in his wrx).

Don't you think that any car which is not a trailer queen will need a radio and ac? Don't you see this is a gimmick? The RS may not be new and the concept is not either. It is called marketing hype.

The MR car may be another story though. We'll have to see it's cost if and when it becomes available.

Quick Reply: Lancer Evolution RS Thread [MEGA MERGE]