Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Lancer Evolution RS Thread [MEGA MERGE]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2003, 05:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dude do you not understand the use for this car!!!! Broeli just summed it up for you.....it is for the 100% race minded person...hell it prolly will come with the 16" steel wheels on it and no brembos either, that is the way it comes in japan. Anyway, this is not a car that is supposed to be used for everyday driving hence the amount of units being brought here. Damn! most people on this board just don't freakin understand.....quit thinkin like rednecks boys.
Old Nov 1, 2003, 05:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Dale_K
If I didn't already own one I'd pick the RS at $3k less money and better performance due to less weight. I don't know if EVO's will ever become collector cars the way Corvettes are but for any car the ultimate performance model always holds their value the best. If you're buying it as a toy and don't need the daily driver creature comforts the RS looks to be a better investment. Of course no car is an investment since they all depreciate but you know what I mean.

I wonder how the LSD affects the handling? The regular USDM EVO VIII already handles great. Guess the LSD would be a must for someone who planned on racing gravel roads. Does anybody know whether the RS uses a different clutch?
The LSD will make a great handling car better. For drag racing it is pretty useless. For autox/solo2 it is a great addition.
Old Nov 1, 2003, 05:33 PM
Evolving Member

Guys read between the lines.
Why no A/C? Race car
Why no power windows? Race car
No sound dampening Material? Race Car
No ABS? Definetly Race Car
And everything else points in that direction.
The impressive thing is that they are bringing over 700 of them. I think they want to either join every closed wheel racing league in the US or start their own.
Old Nov 1, 2003, 05:40 PM
Evolved Member

You think Mitsu wants people to race this car and provide a warantee? No way. They are giving us Evo 8 owners hell for any little mod and accuse us of abuse if something breaks. This car is basically the Evo 8 plus and minus some features. They are not going to say don't mod or race the Evo 8, but if you buy the Evo RS, go ahead, race it. B.S. It will hold the same warantee that we have with the same conditions for termination.
Old Nov 1, 2003, 05:44 PM
RaX
Evolved Member

Great news! At least they're not bringing the GT-A model. Did it say anything about the steelies?

Though I don't want this car, I'd definitely consider adding the front diff and trunk brace.
Old Nov 1, 2003, 05:50 PM
Evolved Member

not to be an *** but for the third time.....the people that buy this car are not going to worry about some stupid warranty! they buy it for one sole purpose...to mod and to race....this car has nothing in it to persaude someone to buy it for everyday driving...and the people that do buy it for everyday driving will...guess what???.....be racing it every weekend!
Old Nov 1, 2003, 05:50 PM
Evolved Member

Just buy the Cusco trunk braces (there are a ton of them). From what I understand, Cusco is working on the US-market front diff. Build your own RS and have all the amenities...

Personally, I'd buy the RS, COMPLETELY strip it and go rallying (amateur of course). I just took a wild driving course this week - trust me, ABS is not good off road.
Old Nov 1, 2003, 06:04 PM
RaX
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Chris in HB
Just buy the Cusco trunk braces (there are a ton of them).
Are you talking about the actual trunk braces or rear strut tower brace? Because the RS model's trunk brace is attached on the floor of the trunk at the rear end of the vehicle. You could still add a rear strut tower brace if you wanted.
Old Nov 1, 2003, 06:07 PM
Evolved Member

Cusco has a triangulating brace that connects to a strut brace and also bolts to the trunk. It ties the strut towers and the body together. There is also another Cusco bar that attaches across the trunk floor near the rear (toward the bumper), over the spare wheel well. They have a ton of cool suspension stuff... Check with Adam @ Z1.
Old Nov 1, 2003, 06:14 PM
RaX
Evolved Member

Cool Chris. Are you really considering getting a second Evo?

Can anyone explain to me how you save weight by not painting the mirrors or door handles? Or do they do this so you can distinguish the RS models from the GSR models?

Also, does anyone want to bet whether Subaru has the STi Spec C ready for US to counter?
Old Nov 1, 2003, 06:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by RaX
Cool Chris. Are you really considering getting a second Evo?

Can anyone explain to me how you save weight by not painting the mirrors or door handles? Or do they do this so you can distinguish the RS models from the GSR models?

Also, does anyone want to bet whether Subaru has the STi Spec C to counter?
Answer to question #1 - yes, if I pay off a couple of bills before they arrive.

The door handles - I don't know why, but the mirrors are the cheesy ones in anticipation of the owner going to WRC-style or time-attack style mirrors. From what I've read about the STi Spec C, it is THE Subaru to own. Evo magazine picked it over the M3 CSL...

Man, the thought of a real RS with no interior except for a cage, some electronics and a carbon bucket... YUM YUM
Old Nov 1, 2003, 06:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my question is how is the front LSD going to pose such a greater advantage in autocrossing... If you tihnk about it when the car goes into a turn with a front LSD it will in most cases disengage which in turn will act similar to an open diff... I think this is one reason mitsu decided to go without the ACD becasue for 90% of american's it will suit every situation perfectly. Only thing a front LSD can do is help during accel. The diff will lock and both wheels will turn at the same rate allowing for no pull.... But I have yet to experience this with my current open LSD, heck even my STi's locking diffs disengage in turns you can hear them unlock, but the evo will use clutched LSD's in most cases i'm jsut trying to prove a point. Only time a locking lsd will come in handy is if we are in of road situations not autocrossing...
Old Nov 1, 2003, 06:29 PM
Evolved Member

I am planning on using the RS to do rally-type races or fun-runs... Mostly to get some sideways gravel or mud/dirt action. I wonder if the RS will have aluminum or steel A-arms in the rear. When I talked to the guys at RMR when the Evo first came here, they said all the car needed was to replace the aluminum arms and the car could go off-road...
Old Nov 1, 2003, 06:41 PM
Evolved Member

Rax - here is a pic of the triangulation I am talking about:

http://gallery.evolutionm.net/showph...t=1&thecat=500

Cusco aluminum parts.
Old Nov 1, 2003, 06:55 PM
Evolved Member

1QWKEVO, You have both EVO and STI. I missed thread of your comparisons of the two. Also what 1/4 mile time you get out of the STI. I wish i had both and an 03 Cobra to finish off my collection of 30 thousand dollar bad *** cars.

Quick Reply: Lancer Evolution RS Thread [MEGA MERGE]