Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Lancer Evolution RS Thread [MEGA MERGE]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2004, 11:51 AM
choad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is an enthusiast's car.
We are ALL enthusiasts here Victor..Not "getting" the RS becuase some may not race or autocross doesn't make them UN-ENTHUSIASTS, does it??

WOW! I am surprised how few understand what this car is about.
WE DO understand what this car is about, and are voicing our opinions on the topic.

I don't know if Japanese cars will ever have the collectibility of of other cars but historically low build # lightweight/stripper/homologation cars have always brought in higher $$$ than regular issue models. Why? Because enthusiasts buy them.
This "collectable RS" discussion has been exhausted already on the boards..

If a stripped down EVO sells for more it would be becuase there are more enthusiast that would want one than supply would allow..

It's really just simple supply and demand. NOT model exclusivity like you claim..

Just like if they built a LOADED EVO in fewer numbers, the effect in the future in terms of collectabilty would be similar, not due to the way it was built, but becuase there are a fewer amount of them left!!

The EVO is an enthusiasts car to begin with whether it has power windows or not..The stripped down model doesn't make it any more appealing to the masses, just the track dogs like yourself cuz it's less to rip out of it to race prep it..

BTW. Thats the other reason this car will be sought after if at all..Most would have been tracked or crashed over time. This strengthens my point that it isn't the model or trim level, but the BUILD QUANTITY that will affect it's future value..less around in ten years, etc.

Face it...There is NOTHING SPECIAL about this RS..NOTHING other than the front diff that sets it apart from the others..

There is nothing to "get" here. The car is a stripped out EVO with no historical signifigance for the build ..(unlike those limited cars that you talk of..ALL of those had a reason for the build IE celebrating a win, driver or build end, or something..)

Tell me, is there a limited Edition or unique BADGE that this RS is going to carry to set it apart?? Different VIN #'s for instance?? Anything?? I don't think so..Face it..She's a plain Jane and if that's what you want because you autocross and race and therefore qualify as an "enthusiast then by all means, ****** one up!

Please don't talk about it like it's a Ravaglia or Cecotto M3 or a 3.0CSL or a Porsche 911 RS America..

It ain't one of those fer sure..and isn't in/won't be in the same class..In 20 years maybe we can get back together and rub the results in each others faces but for now it is pure educated speculation..and I don't agree with you.

just don't refer to the RS as a car that I or WE don't get..I mean, c'mon. Give us some credit here..
Old Jan 7, 2004, 11:53 AM
choad

lightweight/stripper/homologation cars
Oh yeah, don't put homologated in the same category as a "stripper or lightweight" car..they are not always the same and in this case..

isn't building the RS to meet that criteria..
Old Jan 7, 2004, 11:56 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like the RS only because it means I should be able to buy an OEM front LSD for my "regular" Evo. I do realize the RS does have a niche to fill, however.

As for me, I can think of better ways to save 90 lbs.
Old Jan 7, 2004, 12:13 PM
Evolved Member

Fingers crossed the Front LSD shows up standard on the 04 Evo.. or as an option..

Must...... keep...... hoping...... until 04s arrive...
Old Jan 7, 2004, 12:55 PM

RS Haters:

Shouldn't you guys be busy hatin' on the 04 warranty for awhile?

Can't evolutionm.net provide some sort of professional counselling for 03' owners who are unreasonably angry about the RS

Old Jan 7, 2004, 01:07 PM
choad

Can't evolutionm.net provide some sort of professional counselling for 03' owners who are unreasonably angry about the RS
Oh yeah, I'm really bummed abot owning the o3 and not being able to buy the RS...

Face it...There is NOTHING SPECIAL about this RS..NOTHING other than the front diff that sets it apart from the others..

BTW

04 warranty for awhile?
What's up with the 04 warranty??
Old Jan 7, 2004, 02:11 PM
Evolving Member

There everyone goes again hating the RS...

No one is saying it's special...anyone who starts an RS thread can't even discuss info in peace, everyone has to jump in with how they could easily save more weight, and how an Evo without a wing is blasphemy...

Please relax.

Yes, the RS is supposed to target people who will seriously race the car. I'm looking forward to owning one just 'cause it'll be easier for me to do so than with a regular Evo 8.

Like what's been said many times before...lets just be happy Mitsu is offering more Evo variations here in the first place
Old Jan 7, 2004, 04:34 PM
choad

Yes, the RS is supposed to target people who will seriously race the car. I'm looking forward to owning one just 'cause it'll be easier for me to do so than with a regular Evo 8.
Exactly..

Enjoy.

Like what's been said many times before...lets just be happy Mitsu is offering more Evo variations here in the first place
Right on..Soy milk anyone?

I applaud the RS and understand what the CAR is about in this trim level..

I just want that fricken MR edition..Or for you race fans an EVO "MR/RS".!!

Last edited by M3lachsilber; Jan 7, 2004 at 04:37 PM.
Old Jan 7, 2004, 05:45 PM

M3lachsilber, why are you on this thread? You've told us your opinion of the RS...doesn't sound like you are in the market for one. I assume you won't mind if I get one, right?

So wouldn't you rather be on another thread...

(my polite way of saying, 'get F'n lost')
Old Jan 7, 2004, 06:13 PM

The Cecotto and Ravaglia are both very limited edition APPEARANCE PACKAGE cars which is fine and obviously where your attention lies.

Homologation is about meeting minimum #s in order to be raced in various series. This may not be why Mitsu is importing 700, but in fact this does meet most sanctioning bodies #s.

Homolgation/lightweight/stripper, pick whatever you feel most happy with.

An enthusiast would understand the model and would take it or leave it. Hey if you desire another model, cool, but to whine about a low # import that will not affect you in the least....???

Your use of emoticons is so passive/ aggressive that I want to puke. You don't have to agree with me or like me or anything at all, but don't play quasi-intellectual and load up your posts with little animated ***** and expect me to take you seriously.

Victor
Old Jan 7, 2004, 06:40 PM

I'm not sure how the SCCA will view the 700 production number.

I think if the RS is considered a trim level, then they will look at total Evo production and allow the RS in Stock solo class and Pro Rally.

But we'll see... I'm sure the Evo's solo performance has already made some powerful enemies within SCCA
Old Jan 7, 2004, 08:17 PM
Evolved Member

Hopefully some RSs will be running in T1 or T2. Would be nice to see some 4 door turbo ( SCCA???) cars...
Old Jan 7, 2004, 08:24 PM
Evolved Member

I dont believe those numbers also. That is like almost a second of of what they got in another test. In another thread they said it was the same 0-60 and same 271 HP I dont think a LSD and 80# lighter would net you a full second or even 1/2 a sec 0-60. It takes a lot more to lower the times down than most people realize.
Old Jan 7, 2004, 08:25 PM
Evolved Member

But then again Mitsubishi might be sandbaging on the real actual HP we can hope I guess!
Old Jan 7, 2004, 08:29 PM

After some bad experiences with turbo cars, the SCCA effectively eliminated them from the club racing scene. I don't think any are currently permitted but I would think the popularity of the WRX/STi/Evo may force them to reconsider.

Has the Sti or WRX been classified in Touring? Not in my 2003 GCR, but maybe a mid season classification.

Quick Reply: Lancer Evolution RS Thread [MEGA MERGE]