Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Lancer Evolution RS Thread [MEGA MERGE]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2004, 08:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The EVO and STi are both classed in T1 for 2004 and the WRX is classed in T2.

Victor
Old Jan 7, 2004, 08:51 PM

Excellent. Although I'm worried for the Evo. All the Sti's shortcomings can be resolved within the Touring class regulations.

I'll have to see how the prep rules are written for forced induction. Perhaps something there can benefit the Evo more than the Sube

Thanks for the info

(notice how the RS fans like to talk about real racing, and the haters like to talk about waxing their cars -sorry, couldn't resist)
Old Jan 7, 2004, 08:59 PM
Evolved Member

Don't forget about how much bettah there cars run through the twisties with the new heavier 19s with less sticky tires and BOVs...

I wonder if the SCCA T1 rules allow intercooler swaps. becuase the top mount intercooler on the STi, isn't the most favorable..

Any word on driveline changes? gearing, diffs, etc?
Old Jan 8, 2004, 08:22 AM

In general, Touring rules allow limited changes. Struts but not springs, a catback exhaust, ECU rechip or reflash, but no piggyback, race gas , brake pads and fluid, and of course full safety equip. Each car can have specific things allowed if they are lobbied for and approved, ie: the corvettes.

Originally, when the EVO, STi and WRX came up for approval they said that they would be running restrictor plates (on the throttle body) but so far I have not seen that specified. We will have to see what happens when the 2004 GCR finally arrives.

Victor
Old Jan 8, 2004, 08:35 AM
choad

(notice how the RS fans like to talk about real racing, and the haters like to talk about waxing their cars -sorry, couldn't resist)
Oh yeah, you guys are soooo hardcore.

First of all, let me apologize for posting my displeasure about the RS coming and not the MR. I do understand the RS concept and while I wouldn't buy one (me and like HUNDREDS others on the board) I have no ill feelings to the car (it's an EVO) or those that like it.

I'm sorry. I will try to avoid the RS topic thread..Seriously.

One suggestion for you "real racers" though as it seems this topic is now headed into the racing direction..

Go HERE to talk about restrictor plates and racing mumbo jumbo.

Here we just talk about Zymol, Turtle Wax and McGuires..
Old Jan 8, 2004, 10:16 AM

Has anyone else noticed some subtle differences between the JDM market RSII and the one we will get.

(other than the feature options)

I'm talking about things like:

The JDM market RSII uses an A-pillar mounted radio antenna, while the US version seems to have the center mounted post at the rear of the roof.

and

The JDM market rear seats for the RSII do not have a center armrest...but pics of the US version seem to show the same center armrest as the standard model.

Anyone else notice some things like these?

For more info on the JDM version, check out:
http://www.japanvehicles.com/newcars.../Evo8/main.htm
Old Jan 8, 2004, 10:47 AM

Just finished reviewing the Touring prep regs
Looks like the RS could have a chance!

Can the Sti ECU be reflashed?
Might be an advantage there to the Evo if the Sti is stuck with stock ECU (although Subaru will make sure anyone running T1 has access to improved ECU's) infact a stand alone that fits in the standard ECU housing might be legal.

Sti must keep sound deadening. and poor roll couple distribution (anti-roll bars). They might be able to reduce understeer with damper settings

but they can yank the AC.

Sometimes the SCCA choses some strange weights, but let's hope the spec page shows the Sti with the same 100lb weight penalty it has in the real world.

Anyway, it would be awesome to see the RS kick some sube butt...but the C5's are still going to be long gone.
Old Jan 8, 2004, 01:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Does anyone know if they US RS comes with shorter gearing?
Because I don't think i've seen it mentioned anywhere.
Old Jan 8, 2004, 01:56 PM
Evolving Member

As far as I know the US RS doesn't come with shorter gearing than the regular Evo 8...just a shorter options and color choice list
Old Jan 10, 2004, 10:43 AM

And shorter MSRP.

No, the gearing is exactly the same as the higher priced model...just like everything else that matters.
Old Jan 10, 2004, 10:46 AM

Were there more pics coming from that SoCalEvo.net meet?

or how about some pics from the detroit autoshow?

I won't be there for another week, but they should have an RS on display.

Someone feel the carpet to see if the no sound deadening (melt sheet) claim is really true.
Old Jan 10, 2004, 01:49 PM
Evolving Member

Are they bringing the RS to the Detroit autoshow? Anyone on this board going/gone to the show?
Old Jan 11, 2004, 06:43 AM

I'm going to get the RS and use the difference in price on the Vishnu Stage 1 package. That should be a nice start.

There seems to be some confusion on the weight savings. According to this months Motor Trend, the weight savings are "between 88 and 146 lbs, depending on options".

Much more importantly, they tested the RS at .6 seconds faster 0-60 (4.4 vs 5.0) and a whopping 3/10's faster in the quarter mile (13.20 vs 13.50). For you non-racers, 3/10's in the quarter is HUGE!!!

No, this will not be my daily driver. It's going to be a third, "fun" car for me. My guess is with the Vishnu Stage 1, this car will start well into the 12's.
Old Jan 11, 2004, 08:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by DP03
I'm going to get the RS and use the difference in price on the Vishnu Stage 1 package. That should be a nice start.

There seems to be some confusion on the weight savings. According to this months Motor Trend, the weight savings are "between 88 and 146 lbs, depending on options".
Yup, that's because many journalists didn't do their homework to actually find out that the 146 pound weight loss numbers are for 2004 Evos with leather seats and an Infinity 7-speaker sound system w/trunk mounted sub that add additional weight over either a 2003 Evo or a 2004 without these two options. The 88 pounds is for a non-sunroof, no options 2004 Evo versus the RS model. Many of the deletions are more about removing non-race essentials that happen to also contribute to the bottom-line price of the vehicle. So, yes it is about weight, but it also helped the pricing, about three thousand dollars worth. I hope that helps clarify the weight dispute.
Old Jan 11, 2004, 08:51 AM

Thanks, that does clarify things. Buy actually what the journalists stated was correct, because they were testing, and reporting on a 2004 RS. What doesn't make sense, however, is the weight vs performance gains. Now we all know that weather, track conditions, etc will vary your times. But 3/10's is singificant, and you won't gain 3/10's by shaving 88 lbs.

Only other thing I can think of is maybe the 2004 RS tested was simply stronger from the factory than their 2003 model.

Quick Reply: Lancer Evolution RS Thread [MEGA MERGE]