Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Lancer Evolution RS Thread [MEGA MERGE]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2004, 08:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by DP03
I'm going to get the RS and use the difference in price on the Vishnu Stage 1 package. That should be a nice start.

There seems to be some confusion on the weight savings. According to this months Motor Trend, the weight savings are "between 88 and 146 lbs, depending on options".
Yup, that's because many journalists didn't do their homework to actually find out that the 146 pound weight loss numbers are for 2004 Evos with leather seats and an Infinity 7-speaker sound system w/trunk mounted sub that add additional weight over either a 2003 Evo or a 2004 without these two options. The 88 pounds is for a non-sunroof, no options 2004 Evo versus the RS model. Many of the deletions are more about removing non-race essentials that happen to also contribute to the bottom-line price of the vehicle. So, yes it is about weight, but it also helped the pricing, about three thousand dollars worth. I hope that helps clarify the weight dispute.
Old Jan 14, 2004, 07:49 PM

Wow, I just found out about this model and I will be watching this forum for updates on how the RS is selling. The narrow demographic that is trying to reach with this version - well it must just happen to be my little shaded area of the Venn diagram too.

Roll-up windows, manual locks and mirrors, less luxuries overall, these are all things that I prefer. The less powered accessories, the better IMO. I think the wing on the EVO looks silly and rather ostentatious, obviously it isn't critically important if the RS version comes without it. It was the first thing I was going to get rid of when I bought my STi/EVO anyway. HID is really unnecessary IMO, even if it seems to be one of the "absolute must have" items in some peoples' minds. I already have a 2004 WRX wagon, which satisfies every practical need I can think of. I don't see any reason why I wouldn't use this car as a daily driver, aside from the lack of A/C, but I hardly ever use aircon unless the woman is in the car anyway. I do some motorsports but not enough to justify a new car solely for that use. Demerits: I wish the car came with ABS and a toggle, because there are very good reasons to have it when you aren't on the track or snow.

Based on what I've heard about sales of the 2003 EVO, and the past history of marques trying to sell stripped versions of a popular car, I think these RS models might be had for very reasonable prices by the end of the summer. Exempli gratia, Mazda sells a stripped Club Sport edition of the Miata every once in a while. In this past year's iteration, you could have gotten one of the last few for $4k under MSRP and 0%/60, which was plainly advertised in many places. A $25k stripped EVO, wow, that leaves spare money to make all kinds of changes if I wanted, or more cash for other non-car things as I see fit.

I was planning to get a 2005 Lotus Elise, but with the waiting list monkey shines and markup games, MSRP fluctuations, I think I'll be looking seriously into this EVO RS instead...
Old Jan 14, 2004, 08:01 PM
choad

Wow...

A VISUAL aid to show us the limited build of the "RS"..

I think I just figured out the "RS" buyer demographic..
Attached Images  
Old Jan 17, 2004, 12:32 PM

now back from the detroit auto show.

no Evolution RS and only a 2003 model over in the corner.

I'm starting to wonder if mitsubishi's new CEO is rethinking the entire Evo plan...
Old Jan 18, 2004, 10:57 AM

I finally got the Sports car international issue (march) with the RS

The only new info I found was that the 'Urban Jungle" package adds 22lb to the RS

The other weights have been explained... but here is a summary

RS base.............................................. ..............3175
urban jungle package (AC, pw, pl, etc).............+22

Standard Evolution......................................... ..3263
Sunroof........................................... ..................+25
04 leather and infinity stereo...........................+33

Interestingly they had a red test car, and the pics here show a white (in the comparison test with GT3, etc.) so maybe there is another article forthcoming.
Old Jan 18, 2004, 12:05 PM
RaX
Evolved Member

Some info from Mitsu:

Features and Options

Specs

Old Jan 19, 2004, 11:22 AM
Evolving Member

RS availability

Sorry if this is yesteday's news for a lot of you...but I just thought I'd share what I found out over the weekend.

Talking with my local Mitsu salesman I discovered that most dealers probably won't see any RS models. My dealer is small (Madison, WI)...he thought most RS's would be going to larger dealers-esp. in the south.

So, no reason to panic exactly...RS's can be bought, but you should be talking to a dealer soon about where/when/how to get one. They should be arriving around April/May...along with the rest of the '04 Evos.
Old Jan 19, 2004, 11:51 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
most salesmen at kayser mitsubishi like to talk outta their ***, I remember one telling me that I could do a Evo engine swap really easily on a normal Lancer when I was purchasing one.
Old Jan 19, 2004, 11:54 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Come talk to me... PM me for contact info.
Old Jan 19, 2004, 02:12 PM
Evolving Member

Outta their *** you say? Well that's a bit upsetting...what he said made sense to me, but he could be wrong.

Has anyone heard anything different? I was under the impression that RS's would be hard to find, and even if you did find one you'd probably be to late if you weren't already on a list.

Any info would be appreciated
Old Jan 19, 2004, 02:19 PM
Evolving Member

Didn't they say the same thing when the regular Evo came out. Now look at the dealerships. They all have at least 3-4, or at least thats how it is down here in Texas. I don't think availability will be an issue. just my 2¢ though.
Old Jan 19, 2004, 03:46 PM
LDB
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
IF they do only make 700 like they say then probably only the top 300-400 dealerships will get any of them although they could limit it to one per for the top 700. Now, IF they see the interest and demand they may find some additional units and any store that wants one will get one. At this point though it's all guessing.
Old Jan 19, 2004, 06:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
well, let me add my rusted 2 cents. I went to my Local Mitsu dealership here in Queens NYC and they told me that the 04's will be out by the end of February, which I didnt take to heart anyway, since I'll be ready to purchase mine in the mid to late summer of 04'. One of the posters above mentioned that the 04's will be out by april/may so it works out perfect for me.

The salesman there who is helping me is a nice guy and told me that he'd help me out in getting my 04 RS in white, no options.
I may trade in my 99 Civic DX Sedan, and add some cash or just make a down payment and finance the rest ...ohh anyhow....
I know 1 of the 700 has my name on it.
Old Jan 22, 2004, 08:34 PM
Evolving Member

Saw an EVO RS today at the dealer!

I saw a white EVO RS at the dealer today when I went back to the mitsu dealership to take care of some paper works for my car since they didn't give me anything after they fixed it. That car is totally stripped out....nothing pwr. There's no way I would be able to drive that thing everyday. Beside the fact that its a limited production car, front LSD, and cheaper; I don't see anything good about it. Just my .02... BTW, the car is one of those demo cars that mitsu bring out.
Old Jan 22, 2004, 08:44 PM
Evolved Member

0-60 in 4.4. Thats not too shabby

Quick Reply: Lancer Evolution RS Thread [MEGA MERGE]