Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

jdm headlights

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2010, 05:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jdm headlights

Hi everybody, i am about to purchase a set of jdm headlights for my 2006 evo ix. My car is a gsr and the headlights do not have the fog lights. If i purchase the jdm headlights, will i be able to hook those fog lights up?? How hard is it, and what is required to hook the fogs up? Thanks in advance
Old Feb 23, 2010, 09:02 PM

Anyone??
Old Feb 23, 2010, 09:11 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the way i did it was, low beam, use a d2s hid kit

and for the fog, i bought a hid relay harness kit, which is wired directly to my battery for power and signal, you can tap into either your low beams or your turn signal wire in the headlight harness

hope this help, goodluck
Old Feb 24, 2010, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by gohdunlam
the way i did it was, low beam, use a d2s hid kit

and for the fog, i bought a hid relay harness kit, which is wired directly to my battery for power and signal, you can tap into either your low beams or your turn signal wire in the headlight harness

hope this help, goodluck
Thanks a lot for the help. Im gonna check out that d2s kit. Where did you get that hid relay harness kit for the fogs? and which kit is it?
Old Feb 24, 2010, 12:19 AM
Evolved Member

When you say the headlights don't have the fog lights, is it literally blocked off or is there simply not a bulb in there? I have to assume the former, but I ask because I got JDM headlights that didn't have the bulb because I think the bulb type was different. I don't use fogs anyway so I haven't bothered going back in there and setting it up.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by yahu
When you say the headlights don't have the fog lights, is it literally blocked off or is there simply not a bulb in there? I have to assume the former, but I ask because I got JDM headlights that didn't have the bulb because I think the bulb type was different. I don't use fogs anyway so I haven't bothered going back in there and setting it up.
The spot for the foglights, is blocked off. My car did not come with fog lights at all. That is why i asked if i have to get a special harness or modify my existing one. The fog lights are half the reason i want those jdm lights. The fogs look sick!!
Old Feb 24, 2010, 01:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Stevo IX
The spot for the foglights, is blocked off. My car did not come with fog lights at all. That is why i asked if i have to get a special harness or modify my existing one. The fog lights are half the reason i want those jdm lights. The fogs look sick!!
If your JDM headlights have the blocked off fogs, then you received the non-HID JDM headlights

JDM hid headlights have the fogs...

non-HID jdm headlights...
Old Feb 24, 2010, 04:22 PM

Im sorry if i didnt make this clear enough. My stock usdm evo ix gsr non-hid came with the car headlights are the ones without the fog lights. They are blocked off in the spot for the fog lights. I am about to get a set of jdm hid headlights with fog lights. I just wanted to know what it would take to use those fog lights on my non fog light car. What about an on/off switch too??
Old Feb 26, 2010, 02:03 AM
Evolved Member

^Ah, got it now. I honestly dont know if the stock non-HID is wired for fogs or not, but I'm guessing not. You could wire up a separate switch and then run the fogs off the battery. Post #3 refers to this and you should be able to find a general howto on here or google.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 01:18 PM

Depends on how you want it to operate. If you want the operation to be like factory, then you will need to check for the existence of the wiring between the switch and fusebox, and between the fusebox and headlights. Should be there. As long as it is, you should just need the relay and headlamp switch.
Old Feb 27, 2010, 01:48 PM

^Ah, got it now. I honestly dont know if the stock non-HID is wired for fogs or not, but I'm guessing not. You could wire up a separate switch and then run the fogs off the battery. Post #3 refers to this and you should be able to find a general howto on here or google.
Ok and if i were to rig the fogs like said in post #3, how would i be able to control the foglights (switch them on/off)? Or would they just always be on when the car is on?
Old Feb 27, 2010, 01:52 PM
Evolved Member

all US model evo IX GSR non SSL don't come with foglight, you should have known this by now.

This topic has been discussed before, I've seen it my self, search you'll find.
Old Feb 27, 2010, 02:17 PM

isnt the 9 mr head lights the same as jdm? i could of sworn they were blacked out hid as well
Old Feb 27, 2010, 03:30 PM

the usdm mr headlights are not the same as the jdm headlights.
Old Feb 27, 2010, 06:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by fugiwara
all US model evo IX GSR non SSL don't come with foglight, you should have known this by now.

This topic has been discussed before, I've seen it my self, search you'll find.
Originally Posted by Stevo IX
the usdm mr headlights are not the same as the jdm headlights.
Thank you, Stevo. Apparently fugiwara hadn't told someone to search recently enough so he jumped at the opportunity without reading my friggin' post.

What I was saying is I don't know whether the car was wired for fogs in the non-HID housing. Regardless of whether the fogs are absent might have put the same wire harness in the system to save on different wire arrangement stock. Please read before trying to get on my jock.

Sorry to crap a bit on your thread, Stevo. As someone else mentioned, if the wiring is actually present for fogs you might just be able to find the relay and wire it up. If you set it up like post #3 you could either have them on at all times, or install a switch of your own to control them whenever you want them on.

That is how I did it on a previous car that didn't have fogs. Sometimes I thought it was kind of nice to be able to run the fogs without turning the lighting system on. Best of luck!

Quick Reply: jdm headlights