Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Shop damaged my car, need advice.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2010, 11:18 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Shop damaged my car, need advice.

I took my car to a shop and had them replace 2 tires since they were extremely worn out. But when I went to check on my car, to see if everything is going smoothly I run out and see this done to my car... they had lifted my car up by bending the side skirts. I was wondering if this actually broke anything because it came back out when they let it down after a few days but still, the damage was done and just because it unfolded itself doesnt mean i should ignore it right? Some people tell me that the skirt is only plastic and its meant for that and some people told me its made of fiberglass and that i should get them to replace the whole 2 skirts. I took it to other shops and I know they place blocks under their machines before they lift so they dont do this kind of damage but obviously the one i went to was irresponsible. And of course I mention this to them and they all ganged on me and said this is not damage and that its normal.

Old Mar 3, 2010, 11:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Umm. If it's not the way you brought it to them (Straight) Then it's Damge. I would be Pissed! If i seen a huge Indent in my side skirt like that.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 11:26 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
that is hardly normal

they need to pop the sideskirts back out so they look normal or replace them
Old Mar 3, 2010, 11:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
They are liable for that damage. They caused it through negligence. Ask them for their garagekeepers insurance policy information, and let them know that a claim has to be made.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 11:30 AM
Evolved Member

hopefully you have not let this gone UNNOTED with that shop. If you did and its been a few days, good luck getting it covered. if you have noted with the shop and took pics. they should be replacing or fixing them.

good luck
Old Mar 3, 2010, 11:32 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 350 Likes on 264 Posts
Yeah bro that looks like something the shop should have taken care of. Its quite obvious that the side skirts lie underneath the jack points. Its like they have never jacked a car up before! Don't let them get away with this.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 11:34 AM

I would tell them to replace the skirt. Surprised it didn't crack or shift it to leave a gap
Old Mar 3, 2010, 11:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
It's definately not supposed to be like that..
Any half decent shop will know that you have to put blocks or extension pieces on the lift to clear the side skirt.
The lift should have blocks made for this, that attach to the jacking point on the lift.
They are liable for that damage 100%.
Definately ask for their insurance policy number and company name.
If they refuse, call the police and make a report of it.
Stay calm and try not to make the situation worse..

Yelling and causing a scene will just make them really not want to cooperate with you.
Good Luck
Old Mar 3, 2010, 11:44 AM

tell them to fix that shyt....
Old Mar 3, 2010, 11:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Oh damn thats wack. Shops are terrible, with the exception of the upper-most shops that take care of our cars like AMS, AWD, Buschur, etc, you never know what youre gonna face with a local place. Your average, run of the mill local shop with a bunch of random dudes working will never take the time to cover all the bases.

In this situation, what Id do is I jack the car up myself in my garage and bring just the wheel and tire to the place so that the whole car isnt there waiting for something bad to happen. This way you get the new tires mounted and balanced, then bring em home and put em on yourself so you know its done carefully.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 11:48 AM
Evolving Member

yeah i just talked to them over the phone, they are refusing to replace them or give me any insurance policy number. I will be taking this to police or small claims court? what do you guys think?
Old Mar 3, 2010, 11:50 AM
Evolving Member

looks like they didn't pop the arms up....on most evos you have to jack up each side a little to get the arms to come up to catch the pinch weld. Doesn't look like this was done here. If you didn't note it right when you picked it up and drove it home then they aren't going to pay for it.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 11:51 AM
Evolved Member

That is not normal. I would of talked to the manager.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 11:53 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Genesis8
That is not normal. I would of talked to the manager.

yeah i told the manager, they refused to do anything. i had to leave the shop.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 11:55 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
it is obviously a damage due to their neglect. make sure you have the receipt and the work that was done and show it to them that they did this.

Quick Reply: Shop damaged my car, need advice.