Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Need help finding thread about taking wing apart.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2010, 06:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Need help finding thread about taking wing apart.

I need some help looking for a thread about taking the evo wing apart.

I know for fact I have seen the thread and the wing was taken completely apart. The sides and the center were separated. I remember reading they were only held together with Velcro. This thread was pretty much a how too. Sadly though my search skills are less than perfect and I am not able to find the thread.

I am looking for this thread as sort of a pointer so that I can get my wing center sanded and cleared.

Any help would be appreciated.

Raistlin
Old Mar 3, 2010, 08:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
no, the sides are not velcro. lololol. but you can sand and clear the wing with it on the car if your careful enough. or you can just take the wing off the trunk and do it in your garage. theres a thread that shows you how in show and shine i think. i just did mine on the car this past summer. ALOT of hard work and sanding, but it came out pretty good. i used U POL #21 clearcoat and that has UV protectors. try "clearcoat wing" or something like that. it may be in the how to also. good luck.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 02:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
here you go: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...o-ix-wing.html

Last edited by 040160; Mar 4, 2010 at 02:23 AM.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 02:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
oops, just noticed you have an Evo VIII. this should help you out: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...er-remove.html

Last edited by 040160; Mar 4, 2010 at 02:22 AM.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 06:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by heavens turbo
no, the sides are not velcro. lololol. but you can sand and clear the wing with it on the car if your careful enough. or you can just take the wing off the trunk and do it in your garage. theres a thread that shows you how in show and shine i think. i just did mine on the car this past summer. ALOT of hard work and sanding, but it came out pretty good. i used U POL #21 clearcoat and that has UV protectors. try "clearcoat wing" or something like that. it may be in the how to also. good luck.
I never said they were Velcro. I said they are held together with Velcro.

There was a thread here a few years back that had pics of a complete wind dismantle. The guy took it apart to take the center piece out.

I have seen all the threads about taking the wing off, sanding and clear coating. But I also know that I saw pics of a dismantled wing with the center piece out. The painted sides come off the wing.

Edit to add: While it might not have pics the thread in the post below you explains the wing comes apart.

Since it might be needed I will just make a thread of my own showing that it does. They say glue though holds the sides on but the thread I seen said Velcro. It might have been that wing had been taken apart at another time prior to the thread I seen.

Raistlin

Last edited by Raistlin; Mar 4, 2010 at 06:15 PM. Reason: Adding further comment
Old Mar 4, 2010, 06:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 040160
Thank you very much. While this is not the thread I was looking for it does prove that my recollection is correct and that I am not just getting old and senile.

Raistlin
Old Mar 5, 2010, 03:33 PM
Evolved Member

So after a week of searching I found the thread I was looking for.

The Evo 8 wing does come apart. And it is held together with Velcro.

Here is the thread with the pics and instructions on taking the evo 8 wing apart.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...many-pics.html

I found the thread by searching for Velcro.

Raistlin

Last edited by Raistlin; Mar 5, 2010 at 03:34 PM. Reason: How I found the thread.
Old Mar 5, 2010, 10:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
and glue. my bad raistlin. i put mustard on my words and ate them. lololololol.
Old Mar 6, 2010, 12:20 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by heavens turbo
and glue. my bad raistlin. i put mustard on my words and ate them. lololololol.
No problem.

I knew I seen the thread but I did not think searching Velcro would bring it up (I was wrong lol).

The glue is a pain. I have the bottoms loose but the sides are held pretty tight. After that the Velcro should be a snap. I gave up for today though as my hands hurt and this was not helping them.

Anyway now that I found the thread maybe others can see how to take their wings apart as well.

Raistlin