Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

how to install aem wide band

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2010, 01:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
leave those 2 wire out in the glove box in case one day you want to log your evo with evoscan.
Old May 24, 2010, 01:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by EvoJoeIX
the AEM wideband has a 10 second coutdown when its powered. this is the calibration and sensor heating up. wiring it to your stereo or anything like that will not hurt anything. mine has always been dead on to my dyno charts.
x2. I also looked at mine since I have it wired to my headunit along with my boost gauge, the gauge itself resets when the car is restarted.
Old May 24, 2010, 03:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by buchnerj
No personal evidence, but I have read about people being troubled by their AFR values being significantly low and this was the issue. There is a split second power off during cranking for all accessories in the cabin (save a few), the cigarette lighter is one of them. The AEM has a boot up process and as soon as it gets power it zeroes itself out. If you have your WBO2 on this type of setup, you are essentially zeroing out during a metered event causing a skew in the readings.
So is the cigarette lighter a good source of power for my wideband?

Also what is recommended for a good ground cause I know that's important too.

Thanks!
Old May 24, 2010, 03:19 PM
Evolved Member

Also does anyone have a good thread they can link me to or give me an idea on my AFRs once I install it. Sorry for the newb guestion but I haven't found any good explaination on AFR values by searching.

I know I'll be running rich cause I'm untuned and have a full turbo back. Thanks all!
Old May 24, 2010, 03:24 PM
Evolved Member

Idle will be around 14.8. I believe WOT should be around 11.0's.
Old May 24, 2010, 03:28 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 19DB794
Idle will be around 14.8. I believe WOT should be around 11.0's.
Thanks man! So you tapped into the red wire from the stereo, what about the ground?

Did you noticed any electrical whining noises after tapping into the radio?
Old May 24, 2010, 03:33 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SPANKED
Thanks man! So you tapped into the red wire from the stereo, what about the ground?

Did you noticed any electrical whining noises after tapping into the radio?
I noticed a slight whine when my radio 1st turns on but I'm not sure if that's the wideband or my fuel pump. Could be a bit of both. If the red wire is power, that's where I tapped for power. I installed mine about a year and a half ago so I don't remember what the colors are and I've never had any problems either. As for ground, you'll notice 2 10mm bolts behind the radio. I just loosed them a bit and grounded all my gauges there.
Old May 24, 2010, 09:00 PM

I installed AEM boost and a volt gauge over the weekend and I ran the power to the cigarette fuse and the ground to the 2 bolts in the dash that the last post stated. I am still worried about the whole recalibration on the AEM gauges but no one has come forward to say which fuse is good to run to that does not come on during ACC position so wired for now to cig fuse. No problems so far, will hopefully install aem uego this week/weekend
Old May 24, 2010, 09:30 PM

how far dose the 02 sensor have to be from the turbo cuz i have a 02 bung on my test pipe could i use that
Old May 24, 2010, 09:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by EvoStevo777
how far dose the 02 sensor have to be from the turbo cuz i have a 02 bung on my test pipe could i use that
Yes, you can use that.

As to the poster above the last one. Chances are the readings will not be significantly off, but I know for a fact that some Widebands recalibrate when starting the car up. So, if your WBO2 shuts off during cranking (like the cigarette lighter does) then by the time ignition has already taken place your WBO2 is just booting up, and recalibrating. I am not sure if the UEGO is one of these, but why take the chance?

Use the Fuse on the internal junction box by the drivers kick panel the one that has the motor on it. This is an engine fuse that is constant during cranking, but off the rest of the time. There is a ground right on the wall beside this box as well. Name:  Screenshot2010-05-25at123304AM.png
Views: 0
Size:  31.1 KB
So you have a ground and a power source right within 6 inches of each other... easy as pie...
The following users liked this post:
ODUB (Jul 24, 2016)
Old May 26, 2010, 03:40 PM

awesome thanks, thats all i needed was someone tell me a fuse because everyone says to connect to a fuse that doesnt turn on at acc and turn off when cranking but no one said an example of a fuse. I think im gonna relocate all my gauges to this because these AEM gauges are too expensive to risk messing up the calibration on them. thanks x100!

Originally Posted by buchnerj
Yes, you can use that.

As to the poster above the last one. Chances are the readings will not be significantly off, but I know for a fact that some Widebands recalibrate when starting the car up. So, if your WBO2 shuts off during cranking (like the cigarette lighter does) then by the time ignition has already taken place your WBO2 is just booting up, and recalibrating. I am not sure if the UEGO is one of these, but why take the chance?

Use the Fuse on the internal junction box by the drivers kick panel the one that has the motor on it. This is an engine fuse that is constant during cranking, but off the rest of the time. There is a ground right on the wall beside this box as well.
So you have a ground and a power source right within 6 inches of each other... easy as pie...
Old May 27, 2010, 11:01 AM
Evolved Member

buchnerj was a huge help on my install of my AEM UEGO! I took the 10Amp Engine fuse, think it was number 1 in the fuse panel in the driver's knee well. Then grounded to a factory ground on the chassis just to the left of the fuse panel.
Old May 27, 2010, 04:36 PM

yeah can wait to get mine installed, shud i be ok running all 3 aem gauges to this fuse or is that gonna be too much?

Originally Posted by SPANKED
buchnerj was a huge help on my install of my AEM UEGO! I took the 10Amp Engine fuse, think it was number 1 in the fuse panel in the driver's knee well. Then grounded to a factory ground on the chassis just to the left of the fuse panel.
Old May 27, 2010, 07:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I installed mine the quick and easy way. Used the lighter as the power source. Seems to be doing the job.
Old May 28, 2010, 12:43 AM
Evolving Member

just used for data logging, the rest is pretty much plug and play

Quick Reply: how to install aem wide band