Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

TCASE replaced under Factory Warrenty?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2010, 06:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
TCASE replaced under Factory Warrenty?

Ok I am trying to figure out if I can get my Tcase replaced under factory warrenty. My issue is this.... Can I trust the dealer to do the work? Lets say they actually find it faulty and replace it? Do I trust there techs to do the work? I do all the work usually on the car and planned on doing the tcase just money is super tight.
I outside philly so does anyone have any good dealer recommendations for this? My car has light mods. DP, Catback Exhaust, chip and Cams. I know the Cams might be the death of me but everything else looks bone stock.

Thoughts?
Old Mar 9, 2010, 08:35 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Depends on the dealer really. Take it down there and ask. TCase is under the Powertrain and I'd argue that you've done no mods to the tranny or transfer case.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 09:01 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks Churbo. Taking it in next week. going to cost me for them to look at it if they deem that the mods are part of the issue. Man I thought VW was strict
Old Mar 9, 2010, 09:10 AM
Evolving Member

Basically what you need to do is call them up and say hey I am having this issue. I have x miles on my car is this covered under warranty? They will say yes you have a blah blah warranty to x mileage. Say ok and schedule and appt. Bring it in and have them check it out, they more than likely won't charge you....not going to say 100% since this is the stealership. If they are going to charge you then they will have to have you sign some sort of a document saying you agree to pay the x amount for diag time or whatever.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 09:16 AM
Evolved Member

Yah just did that. I told the guy about the issue, then he asked for miles and when I could bring it it. He said there was a 99 dollar diag fee. I said well my car has some mods so not going to pay that if you turn around and say its modded. He asked what I had done so I told him he said that shouldn't impact the drivetrain so IDK we shall see. Taking it in next week.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 09:19 AM
Evolving Member

Was thinking about this too, only thing I have done to my car is shifter bushings, front mount bushing and an aftermarket clutch. I'm guessing the clutch would pretty much throw out any chance of getting the T-case replaced under warranty?
Old Mar 9, 2010, 09:26 AM
Evolved Member

I am gonig to throw it against the wall and see what sticks. No way my tcase is shot I only have 30k on the clock.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 09:29 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by rgar
Was thinking about this too, only thing I have done to my car is shifter bushings, front mount bushing and an aftermarket clutch. I'm guessing the clutch would pretty much throw out any chance of getting the T-case replaced under warranty?

Yeah your upstream without a paddle....what kind of clutch?

On another note it never hurts to try, some dealers won't even look.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 09:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SHould be pretty well known that in some instances the evo tcase is really fragile. Some people had it go out with OEM power....others have put 400+ through it and not have an issue
Old Mar 9, 2010, 10:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hard to say what the dealer will do. Worst case is that deny the warranty coverage.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 10:22 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by churbo
Yeah your upstream without a paddle....what kind of clutch?

On another note it never hurts to try, some dealers won't even look.
spec twin p-trim, is it possible to remove the tcase without seeing the clutch?
Old Mar 9, 2010, 10:39 AM
Evolved Member

Not unless they go looking i guess. Make sure you have the plugs in the transmission so they can't view anything. IDK if they are going to take the transmission off to remove the tcase. If I was doing it in my garage I would not remove the tranny..
Old Mar 9, 2010, 10:49 AM
Evolving Member

Unfortunately since it's a twin disk it rattles like crazy, no way they could even pull it onto a lift with out them knowing.

I never planned on having a warranty for the car anyways though.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 10:52 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by thedru13
Yah just did that. I told the guy about the issue, then he asked for miles and when I could bring it it. He said there was a 99 dollar diag fee. I said well my car has some mods so not going to pay that if you turn around and say its modded. He asked what I had done so I told him he said that shouldn't impact the drivetrain so IDK we shall see. Taking it in next week.
Your honesty just screwed you. As you were telling him your mods, he was listing it all in the Mitsu data base under that cars VIN. GL.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 11:53 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by revvin9k
Your honesty just screwed you. As you were telling him your mods, he was listing it all in the Mitsu data base under that cars VIN. GL.
Well as soon as they would have looked under the car they would see the downpipe and exhaust. no point in wasting my time going up to the dealer and having them say oh well we see your exhaust so you are not covered. I told them ahead of time so they know what to expect and I am not wasting time or money.