Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Another strange sound coming from...

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2010, 05:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another strange sound coming from...

The front end.. Seems like it might be something in the steering/suspension. When i'm coming into/out of a parking lot while turning i hear a 'knock' like something's loose. It will also happen when turning from all the way left to all the way right and then straight. Also, when going over a speed bump, the initial UP travel of the suspension seems like it makes the sound as well.

Any guesses? I dont know much about these cars as far as suspension/steering linkage yet. Gotta keep my eyes busy on EVOM a bit longer!

I just bought the car two weeks ago, it's got 36,000 on it. 2005 VIII

Here she is btw! I'm amazed every time i get in this thing.

Last edited by YAMAHArYder; Mar 11, 2010 at 12:27 AM.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 05:28 PM
Evolved Member

I chased a slight "knocking" sound in my old Evo for months. Never found it. I gave up and just ignored it and eventually, it just went away, haha.

Some people have luck with replaceing the upper strut mount, entire strut or endlinks.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 05:40 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
check that the springs are seated properly on the struts

btw there were no 2005 viii mr se

only a generic viii mr
Old Mar 10, 2010, 05:45 PM
Evolving Member

^^ lol
Old Mar 10, 2010, 05:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Time to jack up your evo and look under it. Inspect it for loose or broken suspension pieces such as ur endlinks. Check ur tie rods and balljoints.

Which side is the noise coming from?
Old Mar 11, 2010, 12:30 AM

Normally, i WOULD just let the sound go away itself, but with THIS price tag i'd like to do things a bit differently this time.

Sounds like i should throw it on a lift and check things out. Thanks

BTW It's coming from the right side, i believe.
Old Mar 11, 2010, 01:29 AM

I had a clunking going over bumps for some time, wasn't any worse or better turning right or left. It turned out to be the stupidest thing, the undertray was loose, missing a couple of plastic tacks. Seriously no one who rode in my car believed the sound to be anything except metal on metal, as it was a pretty solid thunk. I have coilovers so I just suspected it was the pillow ***** as it sounded like primarily from the right side. I had gotten under the car at least 3 times, pulled on everything for looseness, looked for abnormal rubbing, leaking from the struts, nothing, car looked great. Yanked the tray one day to look under there for anything weird, realized it was loose, so left it off and went for a drive. Shazam the noise was gone, last 1000 miles or so it's been like driving a freaking luxury car compared to the old noise. Not sure it'll be much help to anyone else, but it was a huge relief for me so I figured I'd share
Old Apr 23, 2010, 06:23 AM

I've got mine in the shop right now for the same thing . . . (2006 base IX with exactly 27,000 miles.)

The knock is coming from the driver side front, when turning or going over a bump.

We shall see. . . .
Old Apr 23, 2010, 07:50 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think every evo makes that noise, I've owned two now, a VII and an VIII and they both make the noise. if it's pretty loud, and sounding like a strut, it could be a little piece of gravel laying on the last coil . jack up the car and have a feel around there. If it's a soft "clunk", then it just makes that noise and will never go away unfortunately. Search front end clunk here, you'll see what I mean.
Old Apr 23, 2010, 08:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Did you check the CV Joints?
Old Apr 23, 2010, 12:32 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by thedru13
Did you check the CV Joints?
First thing I would check as well, second would be stabilizer links. The sound could also be coming from your anti rattle clips on the pads. All in all jack it up and take a closer. Post pictures if you are not sure about something
Old Apr 23, 2010, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by YAMAHArYder
The front end.. Seems like it might be something in the steering/suspension. When i'm coming into/out of a parking lot while turning i hear a 'knock' like something's loose. It will also happen when turning from all the way left to all the way right and then straight. Also, when going over a speed bump, the initial UP travel of the suspension seems like it makes the sound as well.

Any guesses? I dont know much about these cars as far as suspension/steering linkage yet. Gotta keep my eyes busy on EVOM a bit longer!

I just bought the car two weeks ago, it's got 36,000 on it. 2005 VIII

Here she is btw! I'm amazed every time i get in this thing.

My evo 9 had the same knocking sound problem as yours but its all gone after I changed the brake pads recently (less than 10% left at the front). Hope this help.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 07:18 PM

Well, changing the brake pads never solved it. Got it checked at a workshop and after checking a lot of things, it could be the 'steering bushing' damaged as explained by the mechanic. Got it replaced and the noise is gone. 2 months now and no problem
Old Jan 19, 2011, 09:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by MitsuJDM
I chased a slight "knocking" sound in my old Evo for months. Never found it. I gave up and just ignored it and eventually, it just went away, haha.

Some people have luck with replaceing the upper strut mount, entire strut or endlinks.
Good advice. My front suspension has always made some noise. Then it would go away to be replaced by a different noise. These noises have ranged from a little knock to something is falling off. Nothing ever does and everything looks fine underneath.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 09:08 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
def check your ball joints my buddies car was doing something similar and it was a loose ball joint