Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Death Whine...I Think

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2010, 04:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Death Whine...I Think

I have an interesting question, especially for those who experienced this before. In any gear during acceleration, I hear nothing. However, if I let off the gas between 60-65 mph, I hear what I think is death whine because it sounds like a siren going off. Once it drops under 60, no whine. I looked all around this forum about this topic and from what I read, death whine is usually speed based. I'm just concerned because transfer cases are not cheap. Would you think this is death whine???
Old Mar 12, 2010, 01:21 PM
Evolving Member

maybe but mine could be heard pretty much at any speed on the gas or off, I would check the fluid or maybe change it
Old Mar 12, 2010, 01:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kidkayos
I have an interesting question, especially for those who experienced this before. In any gear during acceleration, I hear nothing. However, if I let off the gas between 60-65 mph, I hear what I think is death whine because it sounds like a siren going off. Once it drops under 60, no whine. I looked all around this forum about this topic and from what I read, death whine is usually speed based. I'm just concerned because transfer cases are not cheap. Would you think this is death whine???
Mine started off exactly the same way and it turned out to be the transfer case. Definitely change the fluid and see if it helps but usually once your hear the whine its over and you will need to get it rebuilt or get a new one. Eventually it will happen at any speed in any gear. It took me almost two years before it got really bad and I was sure it was the tcase. However not everyones tcase will last that long once its whining.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 01:26 PM

I'll be changing the fluid tomorrow. Here's what's weird: the noise is no longer there. I'm still changing the fluid but it's getting stranger by the moment.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 01:28 PM
Evolved Member

I'll be changing the fluid tomorrow. Here's what's weird: the noise is no longer there. I'm still changing the fluid but it's getting stranger by the moment.
Mine did that too. It would come and go so I didn't think nothing of it. You can probably wait until symptoms become more pronounced to be sure.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 01:39 PM

Just to be safe, i'm going to start putting money away for a new one. I pray that when I change the fluid, it'll be the end of it for a while.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 01:50 PM
Evolved Member

Just to be safe, i'm going to start putting money away for a new one. I pray that when I change the fluid, it'll be the end of it for a while.
I think something is seriously wrong with the 03 transfer cases. I got my car in 2004 and it started happening in 2005. I used to take it real easy on the car too and almost never drive it hard. I would also shift really easy. After I swapped out the transfer case to a stage 2 shep, I've done many autocrosses and track days and its holding up like a champ.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 01:58 PM

Same with me. Only difference is I tracked my car once and that was over a year ago. We shall see. I've had some bad luck so far, I really don't need it to get worse personally.