Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Freshly built engine, dip stick got pushed out.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2010, 01:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
man where is this spring so i can order it i dont feel like dealing with stupid headache with this build if i can prevent it
Old Apr 15, 2010, 01:34 PM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Most people make their own out of the ones in the "help" brand section at most any auto parts store but I think there are some fancy ones that various vendors carry too.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 01:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Mellon Tuning
Most people make their own out of the ones in the "help" brand section at most any auto parts store but I think there are some fancy ones that various vendors carry too.
make me one and ship to me mellon
Old Apr 15, 2010, 01:42 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wierd, never had that happen on mine.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 02:52 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by RockmanX
make me one and ship to me mellon
cmon now, you can do this

Originally Posted by linuxman51
wierd, never had that happen on mine.
that's what my customer said AFTER he burned up the engine
Old Apr 15, 2010, 03:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I have a BR spring that I never installed because my AMS intake mani has a tighter dip stick tube and will not have that problem.

PM me if your intrested I just have to look for it. Did BR stop making these?
Old Apr 15, 2010, 04:24 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had the exact same issue when I went to tune my 2.3L stroker built by MAP with the MAP crank case vents. The MAP crank case vents did not solve the problem (05blue8 is correct). My solution was to, remove the MAP crank case vents, drill out and install larger diameter fittings, ran larger tubes to catch can, and installed a crankcase breather filter.

My understanding of the issue is that the crankcase pressure has no where to go, so the pressure tries to escape through the dipstick, blowing it out.

IMO, a dipstick retainer spring is a band-aid fix and not fixing the root cause of the problem. If you want to use a spring for an added measure, go to Home Depot and find one for about $5.

Originally Posted by l2r99gst
It is from too much pressure in the crank case. You should really fix that problem first rather than trying band-aid fixes like the electrical tape.

You said that the car had a catch can, right? On which side...the PCV or breather hose?

If it is on the breather hose, are any of the lines clogged? The line to the breather hose is the only vent that the crankcase has when under boost, if you have a stock breather/PCV setup. Make sure that line is free flowing in both directions.

Also, the car does have a functioning PCV valve, correct? Make sure that the PCV valve is working, too. The valve should not let any pressure out of the intake manifold under boost. That is a one way valve only.

Eric

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...need-help.html

Last edited by churchja; Apr 15, 2010 at 04:38 PM.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 02:53 PM
Evolving Member

Mine keeps popping out at high sprints 30+psi runs on the stock turbo on e85. Its a good thing I keep an eye on things, oil was 1/2 quart low. Ziptie on it from now on.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 06:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I found a spring from my box of "stuff". No more wories.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 08:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by cheedo
The crank vents from MAP in theory should work.
In theory, yes. In reality, they didn't do crap for me. My dipstick popped out twice, and yes, they were installed correctly. There really is no use for them if you still use the stock pcv. Just get rid of it and vent the block and dipstick tube with STM's catch can and be done with it.

Originally Posted by lemmysports2
dont use a spring to hide the problem, the map crankcase vents will fix your problem
sorry bro, but they don't fix anything. I took them off and the dipstick hasn't popped out since, and I replaced the pcv last year.

The only real fix I can think of would be kind of a costly one:
Get STM to modify their catch can with 4 fittings (just like the catch can on the Ricer):
-one for the block http://www.streettunedmotorsports.co...er_fitting.htm
-one for the vented dipstick tube http://www.streettunedmotorsports.co...d_dipstick.htm
-the other two for the valve cover http://www.streettunedmotorsports.co...r_fittings.htm

If you still have crankcase issues after that, then your car must be cursed/haunted

Last edited by bigben; Apr 1, 2012 at 08:12 PM.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 08:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I would do a catch can setup, venting from the crankcase rather than the head. You can grab a 12x1.5 banjo bolt and a 12mm to -6an banjo fitting and vent from the balance shaft inspection hole in the front of the block, as well as running two lines off the head.

However, still run a spring. There's no reason not to, as it's just for extra precaution after you properly ventilate your motor.