Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Ha this isn't a scam or anything

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2010, 11:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Even the wording in the paragraphs never changed. I remember seeing these back in high school!
Old Mar 17, 2010, 11:08 AM
Evolving Member

These people should be tracked down and shot! lol
Old Mar 17, 2010, 11:11 AM
Evolving Member

Believe it or not i almost bought en EVO on Ebay about 4 yrs ago and they wanted me to send a money gram downpayment. The VIN # and carfax on the car checked out. Even physically talked to the guy over the phone. Then even gota "fake" email from Ebay stating the transaction has to happen a certain way. I am talking about i was 10 min from going to the store to send a downpayment, then did some more research found out SCAM.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 11:58 AM
Evolving Member

Seen it a hundred times...
Old Mar 17, 2010, 12:01 PM
Evolving Member

I feel bad for the people who fall for the scams but i think to myself how could you even fall for one.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 01:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by blas4
My first encounter with these **** heads was when i was selling my computer. I was emailed by this guy that wanted to buy it, and he was in US, but he wanted the PC shipped to africa where his cousin runs a store lol.
PC was $700, he was willing to pay $1300 lol
That is the west Nigerian MO. The contact you asking if the item is for sale and how much it is (even though it CLEARLY states that info)...once you confirm they give you some reason they are willing to overpay If you are selling an item for 500 they will give you 750 so on and so forth.

Once you agree to it they send you a fake (but disturbingly close to the real site) paypal site.....and claim that they paid you and you can see it on their fake paypal site then they send you an FBI label'd email stating you will be arrested if you don't pay.

I clown these ****3rs every chance I get. I always play along with them. I tell them I haven't recieved payment yet and then they get frustrated with me and threathen me.
Old Mar 18, 2010, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Green Meanie
That is the west Nigerian MO. The contact you asking if the item is for sale and how much it is (even though it CLEARLY states that info)...once you confirm they give you some reason they are willing to overpay If you are selling an item for 500 they will give you 750 so on and so forth.

Once you agree to it they send you a fake (but disturbingly close to the real site) paypal site.....and claim that they paid you and you can see it on their fake paypal site then they send you an FBI label'd email stating you will be arrested if you don't pay.

I clown these ****3rs every chance I get. I always play along with them. I tell them I haven't recieved payment yet and then they get frustrated with me and threathen me.

one of my friends went through something like that when he was selling his 98 audi a4
Cliffs:
he posted it up for 6k

got a poorly email that said something to the effect that they had 10k to spend, they are in another country, they would send him a check for 10k and they just needed 3k back and he could keep the 1k for his troubles and someone would pick up the car, he knew it was a scam and played along

about a week later he gets the check

he goes to a local bank and sets up an account and deposits the whole thing

he waits about one month, and it clears!

he withdrawls all the money in cash, walks across the street, and deposits most of it in his real account

they (the scammers) email him and he tells em to **** off, this all happened about 5 years ago now
and nothing ever bad became of it
Old Mar 18, 2010, 10:33 AM
Evolved Member

^ Epic. Funny too.
Old Mar 18, 2010, 10:37 AM
Evolving Member

I would ask for Vin# and pictures of the car.
Old Mar 18, 2010, 10:37 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DuderMagee
one of my friends went through something like that when he was selling his 98 audi a4
Cliffs:
he posted it up for 6k

got a poorly email that said something to the effect that they had 10k to spend, they are in another country, they would send him a check for 10k and they just needed 3k back and he could keep the 1k for his troubles and someone would pick up the car, he knew it was a scam and played along

he withdrawls all the money in cash, walks across the street, and deposits most of it in his real account

they (the scammers) email him and he tells em to **** off, this all happened about 5 years ago now
haha i wish that happened to me !!
Old Mar 18, 2010, 10:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
Originally Posted by DuderMagee
Cliffs:
he posted it up for 6k

I have experienced the same thing a couple of times on ebay. I sold a couple of cell phones and every time I get emails saying how they are willing to pay more and yada yada yada. They wanted the phones shipped to Nigeria. I knew they were all scams but I played along with it for fun. I kept on getting spoof Paypal emails saying how I received funds and that they were being held until I sent a tracking number.

Haha what a joke. I started to get threats via email saying how they payed and they are still waiting for me to ship it. I sent all the emails to paypal and finally told the dude to never try and **** with me again

General rule of thumb: If an offer seems to good to be true, it usually is!
Old Mar 18, 2010, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by AznEvoIX
^ Epic. Funny too.
I wouldn't believe it if I hadn't seen the whole thing
emails
fake check
bank statements
cash
blew everyones (his included) that this actually worked

Originally Posted by GdotRegEvo9
haha i wish that happened to me !!

me 2, he ended up getting alot of work done to his rx7 with the money, but now he's looking at scraping the whole thing and putting a LS1 in it this summer