Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Exterior vs more HP?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2010, 09:52 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
better wheels and tires can only help
Old Mar 18, 2010, 09:58 PM

do you race? if so, what kind of racing?
I like a mildly modded evo with a nice suspension setup, nice tires and beefy brakes...just me tho.
Old Mar 19, 2010, 10:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JDMevoBOOST
I think those power mods you are looking at aren't good choices at all. Neither of those two items are going to get you very much power. However switching to E85 will. That's my vote. Or you could BBK the car for that money.
I wish I could go E85 but not many areas have it in socal, none in my area actually. I was considering the BBK or HTA green but decided against them. If I do a turbo upgrade I don't want a stock appearing one.
Old Mar 19, 2010, 10:13 AM
Evolved Member

I'm thinking a set of 17x9 DPT's and JDM rear would be killer. Leaning towards this route plus I already have a set of 255/40/17 tires that would fit perfect.
Old Mar 19, 2010, 10:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Get some wheels man. Wheels totally make a car look different, so thats always a plus. If your car is stock, you could do your basic bolt on mods and a tune. Once you drive the car with a few mods and a tune, you will be very pleased.
Old Mar 19, 2010, 11:58 AM
Evolved Member

I can't tell you to go either way. I have bought both in close succession to each other. I like both looks and power....if I had to pick I'd say do whatever YOU are gravitating towards and screw everyone else.
Old Mar 19, 2010, 01:18 PM

Simple, Go with Power untill you think you have enough, then hit up the looks.
Old Mar 19, 2010, 01:33 PM
Evolved Member

Balance is nice. Although if money is tight like it is for many lately, increasing hp can lead to spending more money in the future. Exterior mods most likely won't lead you to spending more down the road. Unless you get addicted.

Consider a lower IC pipe (if you don't already have), cams & re-tune.

I personally think that the first exterior mod is an aftermarket front lip, maybe some light tints. And suspension of course.
Old Mar 19, 2010, 01:39 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by GgreyEVOIX
I have $1,500 to blow on my IX and I'm driving myself nuts on what my next mods should be. I'm trying to decide between the ETS stock turbo manifold + 02 housing and a re-tune or a set of rota DPT wheels . I already have most the bolt ons and making 300+whp on 91 but you can never have enough power right? On the other hand I have ZERO exterior mods done and think those dpt's whould look great. What would you guys do considering the above??
You know I what I love more than anything? Pulling on the guy next to me by many car lengths who thinks his car is fast because it looks that way. Me personally I would much rather have an adrenalin rush, than to look like I should have one. All my money is in my motor, hell I am still rocking stock rims myself. ALL GO NO SHOW!
Old Mar 19, 2010, 01:45 PM
Evolved Member

I still vote BBK. I don't think you should make a decision against a stock frame turbo especially being a cali evo owner. Smog and cops will love you for having a big fat turbo with a nice shiny manifold. Sit in a car with a BBK and then make your decision.
Old Mar 19, 2010, 03:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
ya if your in cali hommie that rules out the whole big turbo thing your just going to get a ref ticket eventually and have to take it off im sure others that live there can tell you that. it only takes one.
Old Mar 19, 2010, 03:25 PM
Evolved Member

Its a preference thing. I'm more of a performance man myself. I'd consider suspension, it can be sort of a performance and show type mod.
Old Mar 19, 2010, 04:49 PM
Evolved Member

Current mods are ETS 3.5'' FMIC, ETS 3'' intake, ETS LICP & UICP, HKS carbon-ti, Megan DP, RRE test pipe, Walbro 255 fp, Dejon MBC, and a rock solid tune from Scott @ RRE. Car is well maintained, maybe too much. Change the oil every 2k miles and drivetrain fluids every 10k. Also recently did the 60k service and changed everything.

Car looks boring to me because it's all stock on the exterior. I think I'm going to take the advice from someone earlier and get the best of both worlds. I think I'm going to do the Titek 02 housing+re-tune and the DPT wheels and save the left overs for future mods.

Thanks everyone for the input
Old Mar 19, 2010, 05:00 PM
Evolved Member

You'll like the titek o2 housing - don't waste the money on a stock turbo manifold either. Either port yours or wait until you get a real turbo kit. Looks like you've made upr your mind so good luck!
Old Mar 20, 2010, 06:24 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GgreyEVOIX
Current mods are ETS 3.5'' FMIC, ETS 3'' intake, ETS LICP & UICP, HKS carbon-ti, Megan DP, RRE test pipe, Walbro 255 fp, Dejon MBC, and a rock solid tune from Scott @ RRE. Car is well maintained, maybe too much. Change the oil every 2k miles and drivetrain fluids every 10k. Also recently did the 60k service and changed everything.

Car looks boring to me because it's all stock on the exterior. I think I'm going to take the advice from someone earlier and get the best of both worlds. I think I'm going to do the Titek 02 housing+re-tune and the DPT wheels and save the left overs for future mods.

Thanks everyone for the input
Good choice. Having balance will help the car be a better overall build. It looks like you've decided on the 02 housing...those can run you mid 200's and even though you will see a gain in it, it mostly for faster spool. Don't re-tune without a part that needs re-tuning. If you get a good set of cams ...which can run you mid 400's...the re-tune will be well worth it. Trust me on this.

Last edited by merlin00069; Mar 20, 2010 at 06:43 AM.