Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Need Help (Car Knocks Under full boost)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2010, 10:36 AM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Need Help (Car Knocks Under full boost)

Alright guys i got a small situation, recently i installed a hta88 turbo kit onto my buddys 2.3 evo 8. The car runs great but for some reason when the car gets under full boost the car begins to knock all over the place (Datalogging). Also every time we data log the car and every pull we make the knock goes out of control when only hitting full boost. The car doesn't sputter or anything under full boost but it pulls crazy amounts of timing off the car and the car doesn't even feel like its boosting.

Has anyone ever encountered this issue?? We are thinking maybe the knock sensor went bad..

Any ideas?
Old Mar 19, 2010, 10:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
have u done any troubleshootin yet?? boost test ?
Old Mar 19, 2010, 12:54 PM

OMG, this is so funny that you posted this today. I got my car tuned yesterday with a 30r, built bottom end, and tons of bolt-ons. Right off the bat it started having issues. The car would be idle registering no knock. Then when it began boosting right out of vaccuum, it started registering 36 HITS OF KNOCK! Yes, wildly insane. I mean, my car didn't sputter or miss at all. AND if my car was truly kncoking like that, after a few pulls on the dyno in an attempt to fix this, the motor would have let go or at least crushed a bearing. So, first my tuner thought it could be picking up motor vibrations because my car has a balance shaft eliminator kit, but that seemed too odd. Or, maybe my clearances were wrong in the motor and a piston was slapping the block, but a compression test showed every cylinder in tip top shape. So he said my sensor had to be jacked up.

So I pulled the car off the dyno, and went to a guy who installs parts on my car for me. He happened to have an extra knock sensor for me. He slaps it on. I head back to the tuner and viola! Under boost my car only registered 3 hits of knock.

Now the funny thing is that when I pulled my motor a while back, I misplaced my original knock sensor and ended up having to source one from someone on EvoM. It just so happened to be defective. I'd say the knock sensor being defective is worth a check. Used, they are pretty inexpensive (at least mine was--and it was broken). Brand new they list at about $90. Start with the most inexpensive things to alter/check first and move up from there. Thats what I did.

You're going to need a proper tune no matter what....Hope everything works out for you....

Last edited by Lilredbox; Mar 19, 2010 at 12:59 PM.
Old Mar 19, 2010, 12:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Have you tried adjusting the boost and/or properly tuning the car?
Old Mar 19, 2010, 12:59 PM
Evolved Member

Did it throw any codes? When my Knock Sensor went out, it showed a "Knock Sensor Failure" code.
Old Mar 19, 2010, 01:01 PM
Evolving Member

Do you have the ability to see your knock voltage with your datalogger?
Old Mar 19, 2010, 01:10 PM
Account Disabled

I fixed the issue , i went to check out my buddys knock sensor and what do you know it was loose lol.. So i tighten down the sensor and bam the car is pulling like a bat out of H*ll.
Old Mar 19, 2010, 01:12 PM
Evolving Member

pics of said car and setup or it didnt happen
Old Mar 19, 2010, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Evokid03
I fixed the issue , i went to check out my buddys knock sensor and what do you know it was loose lol.. So i tighten down the sensor and bam the car is pulling like a bat out of H*ll.
Sweet. Glad you found the problem for as cheap as it gets...FREE!!
Old Mar 21, 2010, 01:24 PM
Account Disabled

ill take pics soon haha