Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

I dont know what to do, someone convince me what to do

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2010, 12:15 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I dont know what to do, someone convince me what to do

Well, I still have my taxes money, so far i have sitting here, a tbe, 02 housing, havent decided on what header/manifold to get yet, a perrin intake, boost gauge, hallman boost controller, licp, and thinking about different intercooler.....anyway.....i want to either run meth, or ethanol, im kind of on the fence, i dont know what to do, i know ethanol has different blends all the time and eats your injector seals after awhile, but i dont know if meth is safe either? someone try to convice me, i wanna hit 400 someday
Old Mar 19, 2010, 01:05 PM

Ethanol is fine, provided your car is tuned properly. Also, do you have access to it? 400 will be a joke if you've got cams on a 9 with E85.

For reference, my current setup, almost stock, really...

Injen LICP/UICP/Intake
PTE 1000cc Injectors
Walbro 255
Helix Downpipe, Test pipe (o2 is going to get ported before I put it on)
Greddy Ti-C Catback
Greddy Profec 2 Spec B EBC
Crushed (9 MR) BoV

On E85 at 28.5 PSI, I'm at 369/361. Cams will easily put me over 400. I've also got a very small boost leak in my throttle bodies that I could pull 3-8 whp out of. The seal just came in, quite excited.

A good reference concerning E85 I would say is this thread: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/al...ml#post8112007
Pay attention to GST Motorsports (Bryan), he's one of the best tuners here in Norcal and definitely knows what he's doing.
Old Mar 20, 2010, 12:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Go with a stock ported manifold...and do the switch to E85...
Old Mar 20, 2010, 12:22 AM

I'm still stock but after talking to Bryan at GST and seeing various posts of E85 tunes he has done, I am definitely going to go that route.

As rKamfar said, with cams, 400 should be easy for IX's
Old Mar 20, 2010, 06:35 AM
Evolving Member

arent you guys worried about getting different blends of e85?
Old Mar 20, 2010, 07:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 09Ralli
arent you guys worried about getting different blends of e85?
thats a chance you take hommie. LOL i would recommend e85 any day over meth period. Not really a good option unless you want a higher chance of destorying your motor. yes if tuned correctly at all times meth is controllable but still unsafe.
Old Mar 20, 2010, 08:27 AM
Evolved Member

Well, I still have my taxes money, so far i have sitting here, a tbe, 02 housing, havent decided on what header/manifold to get yet, a perrin intake, boost gauge, hallman boost controller, licp, and thinking about different intercooler.....anyway.....i want to either run meth, or ethanol, im kind of on the fence, i dont know what to do, i know ethanol has different blends all the time and eats your injector seals after awhile, but i dont know if meth is safe either? someone try to convice me, i wanna hit 400 someday
Ditch the Perrin intake and whatever LICP you were looking at and get the injen icp set with intake, you can find them on ebay for $350 bucks! If you don't like Injen, go with ETS. I would also upgrade the IC to a 3.5" from Perrin, Turbo XS or ETS. I would also look into a Forge RS BOV.

For the 02, I would get the 02 dump from MAP. And if your thinking of changing the manifold I would only spend money on the ported and coated stocker. Proven to run 9's! I spent the money on the Full-race and it was proven not to make anymore WHP then the ported stocker.

Go with E-85!!! From E-70 - E-98 different blends are not that big of a deal, I've ran them all! I have been on E-85 for two years and 30k miles with no problems. I picked up 76WHP when I did it and all I needed was a 255 fuel pump, FIC 950 Injectors, boost contorller and a good tune! Just do it!

If you do a TBE with race pipe, ported exhaust manifold, 02 dump, boost controller, IC pipes with intake, 3.5" IC, fuel pump, injectors, BOV, and switch to e-85, you should be at about 400WHP with a good tune. That's all it took for me to get there! Oh ya, it will be like a whole new car! You'll love it!

Last edited by dambikeracer; Mar 20, 2010 at 08:30 AM.
Old Mar 20, 2010, 09:06 AM
Evolving Member

so nothing happens to you with the different blends? i was looking in the alternative fuel thread and a lot of people are having problems with it
Old Mar 20, 2010, 09:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GST Motorsports
This is the exact reason why posting misinformation about E85 is bad news, yet it continues to happen for some reason. I can understand why, because it's a whole different fuel then what people are usually used to... but please people, stop with the "E85 killed my dog.." posts...

There is something else going on other then E85 that killed that motor(s)....

I've run E85 100% straight for over 2 years in my personal Evo, which sees sea level to 9,000 ft elevation, 110F to 12F. It's run mid 10 AFR to 13 AFR, 25-32psi, over 400whp, stock motor, seen misfires, 50% ethanol content to 85% ethanol content on the same tune... yada yada yada...

- Bryan
Hmmmmmmmmmmm? I would take this guys word over most others as far as e85 goes!
Old Mar 21, 2010, 09:16 AM
Evolved Member

so nothing happens to you with the different blends? i was looking in the alternative fuel thread and a lot of people are having problems with it
That's correct! Nothing happens!

So have you made up your mind on your final plans? If so, what's changed if anything?
Old Mar 21, 2010, 09:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would just recommend that if you are planning to make the switch to E85 do it during the summer months when the blend is the best...and when it switches to the winter blend you'll just run a tad bit richer...
Old Mar 21, 2010, 12:14 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by dambikeracer
Ditch the Perrin intake and whatever LICP you were looking at and get the injen icp set with intake, you can find them on ebay for $350 bucks! If you don't like Injen, go with ETS. I would also upgrade the IC to a 3.5" from Perrin, Turbo XS or ETS. I would also look into a Forge RS BOV.
why would he ditch one of the most proven intakes tested for an evo?
Old Mar 21, 2010, 12:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
aps twin vent bov is better. i agree with 3.5" intercooler and i rock the injen system so im with you there. I hear alot of bad things about the perrin chaotichoax i know it creates power but lots where saying they get dirt etc in there filter all the time and kills its effectivness
Old Mar 21, 2010, 01:33 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dambikeracer
Go with E-85!!! From E-70 - E-98 different blends are not that big of a deal, I've ran them all! I have been on E-85 for two years and 30k miles with no problems. I picked up 76WHP when I did it and all I needed was a 255 fuel pump, FIC 950 Injectors, boost contorller and a good tune! Just do it!
Thats right on the money right there. If you have a lot of E85 stations around or just a local one I would make the switch! Can't beat that HP gain for the mods needed. Fuel pump, injectors, and a tune. I'm not sure how much tax money you got but I would also suggest a boost gauge and a mbc. (I'm assuming you don't have either since it was in the list of the original post) Goodluck let us know what you do. That will be the most power for the buck IMO