Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Failed with the big "R" *sigh*

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2010, 06:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Failed with the big "R" *sigh*

im kind of stuck here, looking for some advice on what to do. took the evo today for a sticker and failed the emissions. lets rewind here... about a year ago, i decided to take the cat off and run a test pipe. i learned here on the boards, how to fake out the computer by installing those spark plug gapper, to pull the 2nd 02 out of the main stream. nice, not a single cel all year, worked like a charm. today i figured i should get a sticker since mine is up at the end of the month. took the car to the shop, slapped the car back on, and went to get a sticker. pulled into the station, turned the car off, and went inside to wait till the car was done. came out with the dreadful "R" sticker. the man said... "i dont know why youre bringing this in, the check engine light is on...." the foolish light must have came on when he went to bring the car in. the code came back as the famous p0141. keep in mind, i went a whole year with a test pipe, no issues... i put the cat, and bam, a slap to the face. i left the station less 30 bucks, and put the test pipe back on, and reset the computer.
so, all i can assume, is that the spacers i put on the secondary 02 is making the car look like im running lean. correct? i dont dare touch the spacers since they are all rusted and corroded together. what would be the best option to do here?

A: put the cat back on, try to take out the spacers to bring the sensor back into the stream? (and hope the light stays off)

B: keep the test pipe on, with a clear computer and hope for the best (one free re-test at the station i took it to.)

C: jump ship, count my losses (30 bucks) and take it to another station.

kind of a dumb question but has anyone passed with a test pipe? no cel means everything is running good, and nothing is detected. the only thing they can go on is a visual or smell... (smells not too good)
Old Mar 19, 2010, 06:28 PM
Evolving Member

Good luck
Old Mar 19, 2010, 06:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i had to reset mine about 3 or 4 times before the cel finally went away.....running a test pipe as well, no cat....do you have code scanner?
Old Mar 19, 2010, 06:59 PM
Evolving Member

My tunner dummy my rear o2 out. It is in the hole just to plug it and appear that i have one if looked at. Also do not get any codes
Old Mar 19, 2010, 07:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Option D: Talk to some knowledgeable tuner or read around the ECU flash area and learn how disable the code in the rom of the car. That way, no code will ever be thrown, you can run with a test pipe or cat and no CEL and you won't even need the spacers.

All problems solved.....
Old Mar 19, 2010, 07:06 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by buchnerj
Option D: Talk to some knowledgeable tuner or read around the ECU flash area and learn how disable the code in the rom of the car. That way, no code will ever be thrown, you can run with a test pipe or cat and no CEL and you won't even need the spacers.

All problems solved.....
Wont it show up during the inspection that the o2 has been disabled? I had that problem on a WRX a few years ago. Went in to get it inspected w/ no lights on and they said that the w/e o2 bank was not functional and they would not pass it.
Old Mar 19, 2010, 07:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by buchnerj

All problems solved.....
This is how mine is done also. Works great, passed the "ref ticket" test!
Old Mar 19, 2010, 07:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Foolproof
Wont it show up during the inspection that the o2 has been disabled? I had that problem on a WRX a few years ago. Went in to get it inspected w/ no lights on and they said that the w/e o2 bank was not functional and they would not pass it.
depends on the tuner and the software i guess. if it can pass cali emissions tests then it should work elsewhere
Old Mar 19, 2010, 07:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Foolproof
No. If you disable the code in the ROM of the car no CEL will throw, so even if you scan (with the standard OBDII logger almost all shops use) the car a code won't be pulled up. Values on the O2 bank on the OBDII will still show numbers and everything, but the code will not throw if they are similar to O2 bank 1 (I.E. the cat isn'd doing anything to the exhaust gases). Unless the inspector goes through the time to pull up all diagnostics of the car and have the O2 banks 1 and 2 pulled up side by side, they won't be able to tell.

That and most inspectors are lazy and will just look at the CEL. No light, and your good to go.
Old Mar 19, 2010, 07:12 PM
Evolving Member

Ya mine just sends fakes values to the ecu telling it o2 levels are good...that is how the tunner explained t to me

Edit: Booooo Pittsburgh GO WINGS
Old Mar 19, 2010, 07:14 PM
Evolved Member

i recently took my evo to the emissions station and i passed with no probs at all. im running a AMS TBE with the test pipe and vibrant o2 spacer. CEL has never come on.
Old Mar 19, 2010, 07:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVO_MERLE
Ya mine just sends fakes values to the ecu telling it o2 levels are good...that is how the tunner explained t to me

Edit: Booooo Pittsburgh GO WINGS
Fake values? What the .... ? No idea on how that would be unless you have the wires for the O2 sensor sent to some computer or something? The easiest is to just to disable the code in the ROM. That way the car won't know that even if the values for O2 sensor 1 and 2 are the same to throw a code. In simple terms, basically it will think that code doesn't exist. Fools 99.99% of inspectors every time.

Wings.... I have nothing to comment....
Old Mar 19, 2010, 07:18 PM
Evolving Member

Not a tunner that is the way i remember him saying it....

This is a up and down season....Damn Sid the Kid
Old Mar 19, 2010, 07:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVO_MERLE
Not a tunner that is the way i remember him saying it....

This is a up and down season....Damn Sid the Kid
Hm. No worries, at least you have something that works for inspection.

To the OP, I would snoop around the ECU flash areas as I said, and if worse comes to worse send me a copy of your ROM and i'll take a look. Honestly I had someone else do mine a while back, before I really knew what was going on with things...