Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Make your own Solid Mounts

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2010, 04:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Use the 3m Windo-Weld. Some auto stores carry it.
http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/3m-w...9-p-11376.aspx
Old Mar 23, 2010, 05:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've seen the 3M windo-weld at Autozone.
Old Mar 23, 2010, 08:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
im gonna try to do this over the weekend

ill let you guys know how it turns out
Old Mar 24, 2010, 06:02 AM
Evolved Member

no one has posted a DIY for evo specific front motor mount... maybe you can give one

i say even if you dont gut it, do drill a few holes so the urethane flows to the other side (and making the urethane one piece)
Old Mar 24, 2010, 06:42 AM
Evolving Member

People have been doing this mod on DSMs for a long time. I did it myself on one of my old 1g's years ago. The trick is to do it in layers and let each layer cure out of the car so it dries without any pressure. I liked it back then because it wasn't as stiff as prothanes but it did help.

This time around (on my 2g) I just bought the urethane mounts as it is $60 and looks cleaner.
Old Mar 24, 2010, 07:17 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mifesto
no one has posted a DIY for evo specific front motor mount... maybe you can give one

i say even if you dont gut it, do drill a few holes so the urethane flows to the other side (and making the urethane one piece)

Yeah I'll take some pics and I think the drilling idea might be a good way to get the fluid in there. Hardest part is going to be getting the mounts out, the actual filling of them is pretty easy just have to have patience and let them dry thoroughly.
Old Mar 24, 2010, 07:35 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
I don't recall the actual mounts (variety of vendors) being that expensive. I would get a correct mount. I DIY a lot, but not here.
Old Mar 24, 2010, 07:40 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SmikeEvo
I don't recall the actual mounts (variety of vendors) being that expensive. I would get a correct mount. I DIY a lot, but not here.
I don't want all the vibration you get from aftermarket solid mounts. I did this on my old eclipse and it worked great. I didn't get any vibration and wheel hop was at a minimun.
Old Mar 24, 2010, 10:33 AM
Evolved Member

the softest aftermarket front motor mount i've seen are AVID at 62A and cost about $100; full set cost $300+. diy with windowweld costs $20-ish; full set costs $20-ish <one tube of windowweld can do several mounts>

do the math

if prepwork and curing steps are thoroughly done, these mounts should last a long time.
Old Mar 24, 2010, 11:06 AM
Evolving Member

Are urethane inserts not an option for Evos?
Old Mar 24, 2010, 12:38 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mifesto
the softest aftermarket front motor mount i've seen are AVID at 62A and cost about $100; full set cost $300+. diy with windowweld costs $20-ish; full set costs $20-ish <one tube of windowweld can do several mounts>

do the math

if prepwork and curing steps are thoroughly done, these mounts should last a long time.
BINGO! You got it buddy. That's my thoughts excactly.
Old Mar 24, 2010, 07:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Window weld worked great.. I helped a friend do this on his 1g and it worked very well.
Old Mar 25, 2010, 10:09 AM
Evolving Member

Got some windo weld at Autozone for 17.99 and a gun for $4.29.....a lot cheaper than the alternative.
Old Mar 27, 2010, 05:16 PM
Evolving Member

Ok so I just completed making my custom churbo solid mounts haha. Well they weren't as solid as I thought they would be but I don't think they are completely done curing. Did the Front mount last night around midnight and let it cure all the way until this after noon but it still felt a little mooshy. I don't know since I haven't driven the car since I have done this, it is back together with my jack supporting the tranny so there isn't any weight on the mounts.

So what did you do you might ask.....well let me explain...

I took some wood drill bits I had laying around and sand paper and roughed up my mounts pretty good. Then I took my 3m Window weld and the gun and put smooth layers on the front mount since there was no holes and used my finger to smooth it out...DON"T USE YOUR FINGER...I still have it on my fingers and it doesn't come off very easy at all.

I set it by the heater in my house, I have the floor heater so I set it off to the side. The next day I did the tranny mount which is a PITA but if you already have your front mount out then it's really easy. Make sure to support the tranny though. After I got it out I proceeded to fill it up with the windo weld. It wasn't drying fast enough for me so I actually baked that one at like 110 in the oven for a few hours which really helped. It dried fast but I don't think it's completely done curing.

I figured I try this and I haven't driven my car yet so I don't know how it feels or if it changed anything but I got to say it was really easy. If it makes my shifting better than I hope all of you do it but if it doesn't I wouldn't waste the time or money. I'll give you guys and update sometime soon when I drive the car....probably tomorrow. Thanks for reading and I hope this works so we can all save a little $$ on solid mounts.

Aaron
Old Mar 27, 2010, 05:56 PM
Evolved Member

http://www.energysuspensionparts.com...sp?prod=DIYMMI

Quick Reply: Make your own Solid Mounts