Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Can someone tell me difference between mr and regular?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2010, 06:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can someone tell me difference between mr and regular?

Im looking to get an evo. But im trying to educate myself first. Right now i have my eye on a 2003 regular evo. I have my eye also on a 2005 mr. Not much of a difference between them as far as miles go...one has 101000 and the other has 95000. So can someone tell me what the difference between them is? I keep hearing that an mr is better but why?
Old Mar 27, 2010, 07:05 AM
Evolving Member

the mr has a couple more goodies with it (sunroof, interior)and has the acd option for the transfer case. I would say say the 2005 would have less miles on it and be the best bet, but it looks pretty much the same

The 2003 would be cheaper and better for a build, but the mr would look much nicer ( in most cases)
Old Mar 27, 2010, 07:12 AM

thanks for the explanation. for some reason i also thought the MR was faster too. but i assumed wrong
Old Mar 27, 2010, 07:19 AM
Evolving Member

That is what everyone assumes, but i believe that is incorrect. The mr has a 6spd trans and is more lightweight, I think they come with different shocks and bbs wheels also
Old Mar 27, 2010, 07:21 AM
Evolving Member

Actually, if you lived in Japan you would be right.. You could choose between like 4 diff FQ models, which are faster than ours
Old Mar 27, 2010, 07:26 AM
Evolved Member

u guys are retarded. the MR has NO sunroof, because it has an aluminum roof instead of what the gsr has. In the time u wrote this thread u could have searched and found ur answer. i'll tell u wat the difference is before the mods close this thread.

MR= ALUMINUM roof, 6 speed, bilstein shocks, carbon fiber e-brake, HID's, BBS wheels. And 05MR has the 10.5 hotside. Or at least mine did brand new off the lot..
Old Mar 27, 2010, 07:35 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kanyonkid
u guys are retarded. the MR has NO sunroof, because it has an aluminum roof instead of what the gsr has. In the time u wrote this thread u could have searched and found ur answer. i'll tell u wat the difference is before the mods close this thread.

MR= ALUMINUM roof, 6 speed, bilstein shocks, carbon fiber e-brake, HID's, BBS wheels. And 05MR has the 10.5 hotside. Or at least mine did brand new off the lot..
Thats what i said, you dont have to call me retarded only because i thought it might have a sunroof.. whoopdedoo
Old Mar 27, 2010, 07:42 AM
Evolved Member

why spend 15k on a car thats got 100,000 miles on it???
that o3 is worth like 11k.. 05 maybe 15???

buy a 9 with lower mileage.
be sure to check for maintenance on these car since... trans..center..rear fluid should be changed every 20,000 miles. may want to look into that... timing belt...clutch.. A LOT of things can go wrong with a car in that milage... age bracket.(03 is 8yrs old) japan paint sucks. mite aswell not even be there (this coming from an 06)

-bottom line.. whats the price tag on the both.. have a link
Old Mar 27, 2010, 07:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kanyonkid
MR= ALUMINUM roof, 6 speed, bilstein shocks, carbon fiber e-brake, HID's, BBS wheels.

^^This. MR's also come with stock factory gauges, vortex generator and that little plastic thing on the wing.

Do yourself a favor and search the forums. I can guarantee this topic has been covered in many other threads.
Old Mar 27, 2010, 07:47 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Remixx02
^^This. MR's also come with stock factory gauges, vortex generator and that little plastic thing on the wing.

Do yourself a favor and search the forums. I can guarantee this topic has been covered in many other threads.
Damnit, i went to go edit that and u beat me.
Old Mar 27, 2010, 08:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Both cars have HID.
Old Mar 27, 2010, 08:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you are buying a used Evo set aside 1500 for a new clutch and about 1500 for rebuilding the TCase and transmission.

I have yet to see someone buy one of these cars and not have replace something major quickly. Its not the car....its usually the owner or stealership.
Old Mar 27, 2010, 08:10 AM
Evolved Member

also the ACD option really depended on the year, nothing to do with the package (mr or not). ACD was first introduced on the 05' model on ALL the packages, not just MR. although weight differences arent big, i remember as the MR being HEAVIER then a GSR despite some weight saving features. only model which had significant weight difference was the RS, all the other lines were very close in weight.

also rule of thumb for you when figuring out if an evo has sunroof or not... aluminum roof = NO sunroof guaranteed. there were steel roof evos that also had no sunroof, just adding to your confusion

also 2005 was first year they upgraded the turbo with a 10.5 inch hotside (slight increase in power). then again its so easy buy a lightly used evo9 turbo, its no big deal. also the 2005 mr will have ofcourse 6 speed, vortex gen, leather seats, bilstein suspension and bbs wheels.....

if i had to choose between the two cars you mentioned, it would depend heavily on mod level and how much maintenance record he has. if you search and still confused about the years and models just PM me ... ummm k?

Last edited by mifesto; Mar 27, 2010 at 08:26 AM.
Old Mar 27, 2010, 08:17 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by EvoVIII :D
Actually, if you lived in Japan you would be right.. You could choose between like 4 diff FQ models, which are faster than ours
FQ models are from the UK, not Japan. So far, everything you've posted has been incorrect.
Old Mar 27, 2010, 08:24 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mifesto
also the ACD option really depended on the year, nothing to do with the package (mr or not). ACD was first introduced on the 05' model on ALL the packages, not just MR. although weight differences arent big, i remember as the MR being HEAVIER then a GSR despite some weight saving features. only model which had significant weight difference was the RS, all the other lines were very close in weight.

also rule of thumb for you when figuring out if an evo has sunroof or not... aluminum roof = NO sunroof guaranteed. there were steel roof evos that also had no sunroof, just adding to your confusion

also 2005 was first year they upgraded the turbo with a 10.5 inch hotside (slight increase in power). then again its so easy buy a lightly used evo9 turbo, its no big deal. also the 2005 mr will have ofcourse 6 speed, vortex gen, leather seats, and bbs wheels.....

if i had to choose between the two cars you mentioned, it would depend heavily on mod level and how much maintenance record he has.
Hmmmm, i didnt know the GSR in 05 had the 10.5 hotside... i actually think thats incorrect, but also, my 05 MR definatley doesn't have leather seats