Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

oil coming from timing cover =(

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2010, 06:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
oil coming from timing cover =(

so i had a 60k plus front cover/oil pump done not too long ago and bought a front cover with oil pump from rockauto. it looks really low quality from the when i first saw it out of the box. it came with all new seals and a new main gasket and oil filter housing gasket. once everything was put back in it leaked oil pretty bad. it would build up in the timing cover and slowing drip out of the bottom. maybe a drop every 5 seconds. so i returned the front cover with oil pump and had the original one put back on with all new seals and gaskets again. its a lottttttttttt better now but still leaks very little. does ANYONE know why?! this is seriously pissing me off.
Old Apr 2, 2010, 01:51 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by adWRXi
so i had a 60k plus front cover/oil pump done not too long ago and bought a front cover with oil pump from rockauto. it looks really low quality from the when i first saw it out of the box. it came with all new seals and a new main gasket and oil filter housing gasket. once everything was put back in it leaked oil pretty bad. it would build up in the timing cover and slowing drip out of the bottom. maybe a drop every 5 seconds. so i returned the front cover with oil pump and had the original one put back on with all new seals and gaskets again. its a lottttttttttt better now but still leaks very little. does ANYONE know why?! this is seriously pissing me off.
I had the same thing happen with a new OEM front cover and pump. It turned out to be the crank seal.
Old Apr 3, 2010, 10:37 PM

interesting. but i put new seals in twice =(
Old Apr 3, 2010, 10:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by adWRXi
interesting. but i put new seals in twice =(
could of scratched the crank possibly i would try to pinpoint the leak for sure dont whant to get oil all over your timing belt
Old Apr 3, 2010, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by BLK_EvIL
could of scratched the crank possibly i would try to pinpoint the leak for sure dont whant to get oil all over your timing belt
well when trying to get the rear balance shaft out, the bottom outer edge of the bearing did get slightly dented. i had to use 2000 grit wet sand paper to fix that. however oil builds up below the crank, not the rear balance shaft =( so wtfffffff ?
Old Apr 6, 2010, 04:12 PM
NSS
Evolving Member

i am currently having the same problem
Old Apr 7, 2010, 07:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did you use any thread sealent on the bolts, I can't remember wich ones but I know a few back there get it. Is oil on the inside edge of the timing belt? could be the pump seal behind the cam sprocket on the front cover. Also If the tensioner is loose at all it will leak.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 07:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What car are you even working on? You have several listed. And why exactly would you be replacing the oil pump housing for a 60k service anyways?
Old Apr 7, 2010, 08:03 AM
NSS
Evolving Member

i am sure your talking the OP but.. I am working on a 9. I am replacing the oil pump because i blew my motor and am having a 21k mile used 9 motor put in, figured while it was out freshen it up.

I have the knowledge but not the tools or space to do it myself so i had a shop do it. When we started it up and drove it around it started leaking oil from the timing cover, took it apart noticed the cank seal looked messed up so replaced that put it down same thing.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 08:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Don't be cheap with engine parts, your working on an Evo, not a toyota. Cheap parts from an autoparts store are not going to cut it.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 03:31 PM
Evolving Member

op check the seal behind the oil pump gear and the silver plate that covers the front balance shaft should have a o-ring under it i had a leak just like your talking about that's what it was