Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo9 died while making a pull wont start!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2010, 01:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lack of meth during wot fragmented my #4 piston pretty badly
Old Mar 30, 2010, 01:37 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evogirl916
lack of meth during wot fragmented my #4 piston pretty badly

oh snap! I think you might be on to something. Did you run out?
Old Mar 30, 2010, 01:47 PM
Evolving Member

im staying pretty tight to this thread cause i have a similiar "car wont start" problem. i checked my fuses relating to engine in the manual and they are all fine. i checked all my piping, plugs, maf, and now im going to have an experienced mechanic search for the problem cause this is just getting out of my knowledge.. but i have spark and fuel but it just wont start it cranks but no combustion. im guessing timing problem.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 01:52 PM
Evolving Member

even when my timing was off in my eclipse it still started and drove.....
Old Mar 30, 2010, 01:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Im thinking cam sensor. Try and swap one out with a buddy.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 01:56 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by churbo
hmmm.....well like people have said to start small. Have you tried disconnecting the battery for about 10 minutes then putting it back on and trying. It's something to try before you start tearing stuff apart. That random misfire code makes me worry that you didn't blow something up since the car had some misfire then you romped on it. Can you pull any other codes off the car? Have you tried that?
I havent tried disconnecting the ground but I did flash a different map on the ecu and the results were the same. Im going to try disconnecting the battery and see if that does anything. That missfire code sorta gives me the impression it started off as something ignition related. Possibly the crank sensor as it also controls fuel and spark
Old Mar 30, 2010, 02:18 PM
Evolving Member

oh snap! I think you might be on to something. Did you run out?
I did not run out...I have a wide band as well...on top of that i was on 100 octane and wasnt picking up any knock on evoscan...I nwas logging the pull it died on. Also since I have a built bottom end it can withstand a lot more abuse. But in either case my methanol level was fine.

Also i have a check engine light knock light as Im running Tephra V7 wich starts to flash at 3 counts

Last edited by 06mr775; Mar 30, 2010 at 02:22 PM.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 02:21 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jaredh
im staying pretty tight to this thread cause i have a similiar "car wont start" problem. i checked my fuses relating to engine in the manual and they are all fine. i checked all my piping, plugs, maf, and now im going to have an experienced mechanic search for the problem cause this is just getting out of my knowledge.. but i have spark and fuel but it just wont start it cranks but no combustion. im guessing timing problem.
In your case it sounds like a timing problem. Do a compression check...when a 4g63 skips timing it usually results in bent valves. So a compression gauge will pick that up. Also if you can do a leakdown test. And check the timing as well.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 02:29 PM
Evolving Member

Plugged everything back in reset the battery still nothing. Gonna try swapping cam sensor with a buddy of mine to see if anything changes. if that fails Im gonna have to pull the timing cover off. I hope it doesnt come to that as it is a PITA. I had to replace my front crank seal about a month and a half ago and was hating life lol
Old Mar 30, 2010, 02:47 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 06mr775
Plugged everything back in reset the battery still nothing. Gonna try swapping cam sensor with a buddy of mine to see if anything changes. if that fails Im gonna have to pull the timing cover off. I hope it doesnt come to that as it is a PITA. I had to replace my front crank seal about a month and a half ago and was hating life lol

That would be my next step as well. Let us know how it goes
Old Mar 30, 2010, 02:57 PM
Evolving Member

That would be my next step as well. Let us know how it goes
Will do, I have to work tonight so im going to give my friend my cam angle sensor and have him test it on his car. He has an evo8 but its the same sensor is it not?
Old Mar 30, 2010, 02:59 PM
Evolving Member

even when my timing was off in my eclipse it still started and drove.....
You never know...my friends 2g dsm skipped timing and wouldnt start...
Old Mar 30, 2010, 07:07 PM
Evolving Member

any luck?
Old Mar 30, 2010, 07:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 06mr775
Will do, I have to work tonight so im going to give my friend my cam angle sensor and have him test it on his car. He has an evo8 but its the same sensor is it not?
yeah you can even swap the intake cam sensor to the exhaust cam in a IX as they are the same.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 07:41 PM
Evolving Member

I have a bit of an update...i wasnt able to meet up with my friend but i had him disconnect his cam sensor and try to crank it over...he said the car seemed like it wanted to start but would die right away. My car doesnt even show a hint of wanting to start. So i gues im gonna have to remove the timing cover and inspect the crank position sensor. Does anyone know the proper procedure for testing it? Like what reading should i get on the voltmeter? or is there another way to test it?

Quick Reply: Evo9 died while making a pull wont start!