Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Walbro fuel pump whine???

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2010, 02:12 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think I've ever heard mine or I just don't pay attention. Could be that my exhaust and external wastegate drowns it out or me just blasting my radio all the time. I installed it about 15000 miles ago myself.
Old Apr 5, 2010, 02:56 AM
Evolved Member

I have mine for about 1000 miles now and it does whine ever since day one. The whine isn't as bad as some describe, but it's very noticeable when the stereo is off. Once I crank the stereo up to about 20 (stock radio), then I can't even hear the whine anymore.

Does anyone know if High performance fuel pump from other brand like Sard whines like the Walbro?
Old Apr 5, 2010, 04:21 AM
rip

had the 255 for approx 2.5 years - after which i got a very loud whine....car sputtered and shut off during those times....most noticeably on inclines

it could have been the inline fuel tank gas filter.

changed both the pump and inline tank filter (on the advice from TEknet - local performance parts shop and tuner in the west indies)- highly suggest that if you are changing the pump, do the same
Old Apr 5, 2010, 06:56 PM

mine has whined regularly, mostly on hot days.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 06:59 AM

I just drove 1.5hrs to visit my mom and my walbro was whining as well. Mine doesn't do it that often, mainly on long drives when it's hot. And I still had half a tank of gas when it was whining. It's been doing this on and off for the last 2 yrs and seems to be working fine (though I have no way of knowing aside from the car seems to drive fine). I did do a track day at VIR last year (a year after I first noticed it whining) without any problems.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 07:08 AM
Evolved Member

I have posted this before and I will post it again.....be careful of where you buy those "cheap / great deal" walbros - as there are (like everything) forgeries out there.

http://www.fuel-pumps.net/walbro-forgeries.html

I only buy my pumps from these guys for this reason....just a friendly fyi for those who have never seen this.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 02:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mulholland0132
No worries when they whine?

It doesn't matter what they say....anyone reading this should think about replacing their pump the second the whine begins to get louder and louder. This means the pumps bearings are going bad. It's not a question if the pump will fail...but when it will fail.

You can buy a brand new walboro for $75. Why would anyone chance their pump failing at wide open.....blowing up their engine in a lean condition......just to save $75.

I just replaced both mine in my double pumper for the second time. These pumps are not made to last forever.

How are you going to blow up your engine?? When the pump stops working it will just stop and your car will shut off. All the pumps especially walbros are build with a fail safe meaning they either go bad and stop working right on the spot or they just wor, there is no in between other wise a lot of engines would die from pump failers. And as i mentioned before i talked to walbro and they said the same thing, WHINING IS NORMAL and yes i would listen to a company that makes and supplies millions of racers with their pumps. Plus if yours go bad they are willing to invetigate it and give you a new one if its the pumps fault.

Last edited by erald01; Apr 6, 2010 at 02:55 PM.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 03:17 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by erald01
How are you going to blow up your engine?? When the pump stops working it will just stop and your car will shut off. All the pumps especially walbros are build with a fail safe meaning they either go bad and stop working right on the spot or they just wor, there is no in between other wise a lot of engines would die from pump failers. And as i mentioned before i talked to walbro and they said the same thing, WHINING IS NORMAL and yes i would listen to a company that makes and supplies millions of racers with their pumps. Plus if yours go bad they are willing to invetigate it and give you a new one if its the pumps fault.
is it even stamped with a walbro number/emblem?

Lemme tell ya Ive seen more then a few forgeries around...

As far as the pump they either work and whine or they dont work , ...The one in my lancer 255lph is so loud I had to put dynamat over the port in the floor , before I couldnt even hear people in the back seat ...

Dont worry man if your air/fuel goes lean on the top end then replace it or the sock otherwise its normal

Last edited by turbolancer02; Apr 7, 2010 at 12:42 AM.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 03:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The sound is not the added fuel being pulled in. Power one up out of the tank at full voltage.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 04:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by erald01
Google failing walbro fuel pump and dozens of comments like this pop up instantly.

"You're interested in a Walbro 255 LPH fuel pump because you know that your high-performance vehicle needs more fuel. Not just to run, but to survive. A failing fuel pump can cause a lean condition that can destroy the engine in moments."

Have you spent any time on this forum reading? Many engines have had lean condition failures due to pumps going bad. It takes a second for a pump to fail....causing any high horse power car to instantly run lean.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 05:24 PM

they all whine. everyone i have had as been loud. just get a louder exhaust and you wont hear it
Old Apr 7, 2010, 05:30 PM
Evolving Member

Mine has a little over 1k miles on it and now that it is getting warmer it is getting louder. Get use to it
Old Apr 7, 2010, 10:56 PM

mine makes a slight whine but nothing too crazy. i think its fine.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 06:10 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, I was driving from Savannah, GA to Charlotte, NC this past weekend (long hot drive) and the drive was normal until I got to close to Charlotte and started to drive on the city roads.

This is when I heard the little whining sound. I knew it wasn't the death whine cause I've heard the death whine before, but I couldn't figure out where it was coming from. I had thought that my exhaust had a leak or something (cause after installing my test pipe a few months ago every time I push the car there would be a whine coming from it), but from what I've been reading here it might just be my Walboro.

It seems that it would whine when I'm parked (I can hear it some when I'm outside of the car) and a little bit louder when I have the a/c on too, but then it'd go away later. I then drove about 40 minutes up to Hickory, NC and when I got to my parent's house I couldn't hear it anymore. So that left me clueless. I sure hope it's just my walboro!
Old Apr 8, 2010, 09:10 AM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Seems that most or all Walbro make more noise than a stock pump, but has anyone compared it to other high flowing pumps like some of the offerings from Bosch?

Quick Reply: Walbro fuel pump whine???