Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Flood Damage, Car Totaled, what to do...?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2010, 06:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flood Damage, Car Totaled, what to do...?

Long story, but I live in the northeast region, and we had some serious flooding here. My doorstep is right on a moving stream, and when we got our 10" of rain, it flooded and engulfed my entire house in 2+ feet of water. My evo was in the garage and get very wet. The motor and tranny are on stands, so they didn't get wet at all, but the car did. I called my insurance to come look at the car to see if they'd replace the seats, and they will; but they are really pressuring me to total the car. The car is setup and ready to make 700+whp, , but now I'm not sure what I want to do...

If they total the car they'll take the motor, trans, etc that all brand new, but my gap insurance will pay off the car, which seems appealing. The adjuster told me that because of the amount of water that got in the car, its unsafe, and may not even run anymore once the engines in it (wiring harness completely submerged).

I'm really upset because I was so excited to see this thing go. I've put soooo much time and money into it; it's almost makes me sick... f-u mother nature.

So, Should I buy a new car and total this one? Suggestions for new cars?... help
Old Apr 3, 2010, 06:19 PM

How high was the water in the car? I seriously doubt that it's destroyed. ECU, dash, airbags wet? Sounds like you have too much invested to just let it go.
Old Apr 3, 2010, 06:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by eaneumann
How high was the water in the car? I seriously doubt that it's destroyed. ECU, dash, airbags wet? Sounds like you have too much invested to just let it go.
Water got about to where the handle on the glove compartment is.
Old Apr 3, 2010, 06:34 PM
Evolved Member

Oh damn. Thats right about the ECU level. Your ECU is right behind the glovebox compartment.

I would say once the water levels drop down. See how much damage there is. If you think it is workable, go for it. But if not, better to go for a clean slate. Keep the chassis, but this might be an excuse to go for a even bigger, better engine. ;P
Old Apr 3, 2010, 06:34 PM

man that means the ecu was under water... you could have tons of troubles there id say find a blown motor and trans and keep your setup and have them total the car.
Old Apr 3, 2010, 06:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Bigdawgmotors
man that means the ecu was under water... you could have tons of troubles there id say find a blown motor and trans and keep your setup and have them total the car.
Exactly what I was thinking! Keep your nice stuff and give them junk in place since its all going to the scrapyard anyway.
Old Apr 3, 2010, 06:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Bigdawgmotors
does a base lancer engine fit in an evo? they're not gonna start it. the guy said they'd just tow the tings out with no motor in it and take what I had for parts... If I could source one and lay it on my garage floor they'd do it. I told them I tok the engine out to inspect it and they didn't care. They're very adamant about taking this thing
Old Apr 3, 2010, 06:46 PM
Evolved Member

exaclty find a blown motor and dont even put it in the car just leave it out and have them take it when they tow the car
Old Apr 3, 2010, 06:48 PM
Evolving Member

I like the idea of keeping the good stuff and replace it with junkyard treasures.
Old Apr 3, 2010, 06:48 PM
Evolving Member

Just a thought you think they might wanna check the vin numbers on the motor and trans that they would be taking....
Old Apr 3, 2010, 06:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evo8nfs
Just a thought you think they might wanna check the vin numbers on the motor and trans that they would be taking....
It wouldnt come with matching vins even if I gave them my good motor
Old Apr 3, 2010, 06:54 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
so, scratch the vin out of the crappy motor you are going to give them and call it a day
Old Apr 3, 2010, 06:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by evo8nfs
Doubt it. You can always swap motors and never have to tell them, people swap motors all the time.
Old Apr 3, 2010, 07:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A friend of mine is a body/paint guy, and he said he bought some flood cars before that were totally submerged, and he put a crapload of rice, or ricebags in it, and it totally dried all the electronics, and it worked fine ever since. if you want to know the exact details, I can ask him.
Old Apr 3, 2010, 07:04 PM

You could have them total it and buy it back from them. Most of the time you make money off of that. Usually they only want a couple grand for it. And I doubt they would even bother taking the motor or trans. Probably just tow the body away. I had a car total out that had no interior in it, still got full payout and no questions were even asked about it.

Quick Reply: Flood Damage, Car Totaled, what to do...?