Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Will mitsu not cover my front diff??

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2010, 12:23 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will mitsu not cover my front diff??

So I blew my front diff. Put the car 100% back to stock not a single part on it is after market ACCEPT my spec stage 3+ clutch and lightweight flywheel..
Wondering will mitsu still cover the front diff even tho I have a new clutch I figure I could bull**** and say it's a stock spec oem clutch u kno? What was I supposed to do? My clutch blew was I not supposed to replace it?

Anyone face the same issue?
any honest thoughts or help would be appriciated

Thanks
Old Apr 6, 2010, 12:27 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 348 Likes on 263 Posts
If they can prove in anyway possible that the clutch helped create this problem, they will not cover it. A friend of mine just lost his trans and had to pay for a new one because Mitsubishi saw that it had an aftermarket clutch. If I were you, i would replace the stage 3 with an oem clutch and install the stock flywheel and then head over to them. Trust me, they are nosy enough to pry open your transmission so lying to them wont work. Good luck bro!
Old Apr 6, 2010, 01:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It depends where you go man. I hear about people here who get turned down on stuff that wouldn't even be affected by mods; But the Mitsu dealer that I go to doesn't even check for mods.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 04:41 AM
Evolving Member

****t, but I figure if they're alrede at the stage of cracking open the tranny any tech that sees the clutch would just be like "oh whatever" and continue the job he just wants to gt paid and finish his job asap u kno?
Old Apr 6, 2010, 07:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts
Good luck with getting them to warranty it. Chances are it isn't going to happen.

They'll come up with excuses (car was raced, not a stock clutch and flywheel etc...) as to why after they have taken the car apart and then make you pay for the labor.

And if that was you in your avatar can you really expect them to warranty it as it looks like you drove the heck out of your car (which I think is awesome by the way ) but you broke it now you want someone else to pay for it.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 07:43 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Nastynine
****t, but I figure if they're alrede at the stage of cracking open the tranny any tech that sees the clutch would just be like "oh whatever" and continue the job he just wants to gt paid and finish his job asap u kno?
This is the problem...If the dealer doesn't get paid by Mitsubishi to fix the car because of your aftermarket clutch, they won't let the tech finish the job. If the tech just didn't say anything to anyone, you might get away with it, but I doubt that would happen. Besides, if it really was all your mods/driving habits that destroyed your diff, own up and buy a new one. If it wasn't then definitely expect mitsu to pick up the bill. And I'm not saying you shouldn't run your car hard, that's what makes it fun. There are just consequences for doing so.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 07:59 AM

I work at a dealership. The techs are smart as heck! They will be able to tell that you raced your car just by looking at the gears in the diff! Plus, you will have to find out if Mitsubishi categorizes the diff as a wear item. If they do, then it will not be covered whether you raced it or not. I am guessing you are over the 3 year 36,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty. Good Luck though!
Old Apr 6, 2010, 08:44 AM
Evolving Member

Damnnn..... I deff gotta put a stock clutch in it or look for a new tranny.. Who makes good trannies built? Something very reliable I'll be able to beat up and not worry. Shepherd is nice, anyone running straight cuts?
Old Apr 6, 2010, 08:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't know what you're thinking but I would just buy a new diff and install it yourself. Save time and hassle. If you can't do it, send it to Shep or other tranny expert to upgrade the diff for you. It'll probably cost you less than installing the OEM clutch back, then find out that Mitsu voids the warranty and you have to pay for time checking your car out. Good luck
Old Apr 6, 2010, 11:18 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EvolNinja
I don't know what you're thinking but I would just buy a new diff and install it yourself. Save time and hassle. If you can't do it, send it to Shep or other tranny expert to upgrade the diff for you. It'll probably cost you less than installing the OEM clutch back, then find out that Mitsu voids the warranty and you have to pay for time checking your car out. Good luck
this is exactly what i decided to do. lol tranny is comming out tomarrow, i was thinkin about getting it rebuilt with stronger stuff maybe the shep racing street/strip stage 1 tranny
Old Apr 7, 2010, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Remixx02
It depends where you go man. I hear about people here who get turned down on stuff that wouldn't even be affected by mods; But the Mitsu dealer that I go to doesn't even check for mods.
Yeah, maybe not when you take the car in for something trivial - a radiator, a problem starting, etc. Take the car in with something seriously wrong (blown motor, blown tranny, diffs, etc). and suddenly the dealership gets the attention of a regional manager -- because they're about to spend some cash fixing a potential warranty issue - this is not a repair with a little labor and some cheap parts anymore.

And I can almost guarantee you that no matter how cool the dealership techs and service writers are to mods, the regional managers who authorize the more serious claims are not mod-friendly. And no matter how cool they are to you, the dealership staff is not going to cover for you -- they're going to report what they saw.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 06:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JFuego777
This is the problem...If the dealer doesn't get paid by Mitsubishi to fix the car because of your aftermarket clutch, they won't let the tech finish the job. If the tech just didn't say anything to anyone, you might get away with it, but I doubt that would happen. Besides, if it really was all your mods/driving habits that destroyed your diff, own up and buy a new one. If it wasn't then definitely expect mitsu to pick up the bill. And I'm not saying you shouldn't run your car hard, that's what makes it fun. There are just consequences for doing so.

Coming on the board and admitting you blew your diff and trying to get Mitsu to warranty is not the greatest of ideas either. .02