Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Sticky Accelerator

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2010, 11:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sticky Accelerator

Hey folks,No, I don't have four door toyota with Mitsubishi stickers and a huge wing... : ) lol But I do have 2005 GSR with 55K on the odo. The past 3-4 days my accelerator gets semi-stuck or rather not compliant when I press the accelerator 1/4 (and sometimes 1/2) way down. Is this a lubrication issue, spring going bad or do I need to eat a cheese burger? Has there been a Recall for this?Somebody enlighten me?

Last edited by Sil'vr-Boi6; Apr 6, 2010 at 11:34 AM.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 11:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Stock throttle body? your throttle cable probably just needs some lubrication.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 11:44 AM
Evolved Member

Sticky icky icky

Originally Posted by Kracka
Stock throttle body? your throttle cable probably just needs some lubrication.
Wow, fast reply....It gets very annoying with this issue in heavy Atlanta traffic. So do you know of a specific lubriction type used?
Old Apr 6, 2010, 11:47 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sil'vr-Boi6
Hey folks,No, I don't have four door toyota with Mitsubishi stickers and a huge wing... : ) lol But I do have 2005 GSR with 55K on the odo. The past 3-4 days my accelerator gets semi-stuck or rather not compliant when I press the accelerator 1/4 (and sometimes 1/2) way down. Is this a lubrication issue, spring going bad or do I need to eat a cheese burger? Has there been a Recall for this?Somebody enlighten me?
My pedal used to get stuck slightly after it had been sitting around for a day or two. I shoved a good spray of WD40 on the throttle mechanism under the hood, seemed to work.

Last edited by Sim2k; Apr 6, 2010 at 12:07 PM.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 11:56 AM

Happened to me last year.Pull the intake hose off the throttlebody and you will find build-up around the throttle plate.Brake clean a rag and hold wide open the throttle and wipe the build-up away.Not a good idea to spray directly into the body!
Old Apr 6, 2010, 12:08 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Greg Haymann
Happened to me last year.Pull the intake hose off the throttlebody and you will find build-up around the throttle plate.Brake clean a rag and hold wide open the throttle and wipe the build-up away.Not a good idea to spray directly into the body!
like he said, most likely build-up from not having an oil catch can, use some brake cleaner or wd40 on a rag and wipe it up.
mine was the same way
Old Apr 6, 2010, 12:10 PM
Account Disabled

Spray some lithium grease down the cable and clean your throttle body with some good product like Wynn's , carbon deposites have legacy of binding the TB plate
Old Apr 6, 2010, 12:19 PM
Evolved Member

Nice hearing from the EXPERIENCED

Thanks a lot Fellas....^
Old Apr 8, 2010, 03:56 PM

for all you guys saying spray thottle cleaner or anything into throttle body make sure you cover the little hole in front of throttle plate and behind it. It leads to the iac and if cleaner gets on it, it can fry. You can also get rpm hang from the iac having crud built up on the end of its piston. Pull it out and clean it with alcohol or something of that nature and then replace. Becareful when removeing and replacing iac cuz there is a oring seal on it.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Sil'vr-Boi6
I'm mad you took the words from my mouth before I could type them