Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Should I sell/trade the Evo for a 98-02 LS powered SS Camaro?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2010, 11:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i hate v8's... i love the 4-cyl turbo seen n would never go to a loud annoying sounding, heavy, gas guzzling car...

i guess what im trying to say is, keep the Evo
Old Apr 7, 2010, 11:25 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just to let you know the guys from english racing who in my opinion have the best knowledge of the evo have been running one of there evos at 420tq for 48000mi and everything is still holding strong so your power shouldn't be to much for the car

edit: and i think they have another running like 450tq for around 14k mi and still holding strong and you know they don't baby there cars.

Last edited by BlueEvoG; Apr 7, 2010 at 11:27 AM.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 11:33 AM
Evolved Member

For a sports car, I think the older camaro (the late 90's model one, anyway) is probably one of the most unexciting looking vehicles on the road. Just my 02.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 11:44 AM

I agree with with this ^^^

That's why I opted for the T/A. Ferocious styling vs the Camaro,
Old Apr 7, 2010, 12:20 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
my buddy has an 01? SS Camaro, 6 spd, with some or all of the SLP items. I drove it for a while one afternoon- we took his car and my MR out for back to back rides up a nearby curvy road. The camaro rides worse than my stock MR, has more rattles than my stock MR, engine access is very poor with half of it under the cowl. I don't know, I really wasn't impressed with it. If you've already had one and like it then you pretty much know what you're in for. I have had several musclecars and admit that spinning tires and fishtailing is fun, and the V8 exhaust note is awesome, but again, that's all there is to this car IMO; it is unrefined. So, I was personally not impressed with it although I wouldn't mind driving one once in a while.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 12:24 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
the only thing that chevy makes that I'd drive is a vette

late 90's-early '00 camaros are butt ugly IMO

if I was you I'd look for a early '00 cobra

only reason I still have an evo is I'm 100% certain nothing else will compare for the price
Old Apr 7, 2010, 03:22 PM
Evolved Member

if you never plan to use the EVO to turn, or go around a corner (which is the reason the thing was built), then I say sell it. It really is a shame to own an EVO and never experience what it can really do. anything with similar power levels can go as fast in a straight line, but it's the car's handling that makes up 95% of the driving experience. I say sell it to someone who'll put it to good use.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 04:24 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by chaotichoax
the only thing that chevy makes that I'd drive is a vette

late 90's-early '00 camaros are butt ugly IMO

if I was you I'd look for a early '00 cobra

only reason I still have an evo is I'm 100% certain nothing else will compare for the price
I'd never have something with a Blue Oval on it man. I'd rather buy an STi. Thanks though.

Originally Posted by ODUB
if you never plan to use the EVO to turn, or go around a corner (which is the reason the thing was built), then I say sell it. It really is a shame to own an EVO and never experience what it can really do. anything with similar power levels can go as fast in a straight line, but it's the car's handling that makes up 95% of the driving experience. I say sell it to someone who'll put it to good use.
I really don't see the need to beat the living **** out of my car by auto-x'n it. It handles great, and rides alright, but that's not what I bought it for. I bought it because I've always wanted one, and love a nicely equipped 4G63. I am just looking to get something new, and am not really sure. As I said, I'm not 100% sure I wanna do it or not. Just wanting advice from someone that has possibly had an LS powered F-Body.

Originally Posted by boozeup&riot
For a sports car, I think the older camaro (the late 90's model one, anyway) is probably one of the most unexciting looking vehicles on the road. Just my 02.
Well that's your .02. You seriously think this Berger Camaro doesn't look tough???????

Originally Posted by 5LEEPERISAH23I
i hate v8's... i love the 4-cyl turbo seen n would never go to a loud annoying sounding, heavy, gas guzzling car...

i guess what im trying to say is, keep the Evo
I don't hate on any car man, if it's fast, it's fast. Our Evo's don't get extremely good gas mileage either. Both cars may suck for mpg in town but, take a 6 spd SS or Z28 on the hwy and get 28-34 mpg.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 04:26 PM
Evolved Member

yes, get rid of your evo
Old Apr 7, 2010, 04:29 PM
Evolving Member

Give me any car... as long it is fast.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 04:30 PM

Nooo !
Old Apr 7, 2010, 04:36 PM
Evolved Member

I had an evo and I had a C5 z06. I want to get back into another evo. I just like the evo more because of AWD. It was a lot more fun to drive in my opinion. The vette gets way better gas mileage though. My z06 was all stock though. It had 405 crank. My evo had probably 500 crank. The evo does require a lot more maintenance in comparison to the vette with those frequent 15k mile changes to the differentials and transmission. I don't think the vette required as much when I looked in the manual.
The vette you couldn't enjoy a 1st gear WOT unless it was warm outside and you had good tires. I had factory tires. Both of my cars handled very well. The vette had a firmer steering to it. I thought the interior of my evo was nicer than that of a vette, but the vette was an 02 and the evo was an 06. I had thought about getting a F-body and turboing it, but I couldn't stand the interior and decided to go with the z06.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Hulk
I agree with with this ^^^

That's why I opted for the T/A. Ferocious styling vs the Camaro,
I saw this pretty muscled up looking T/A the other day. Had some serious rumble and some kinda tag W5.7 on the back, have no idea really what it meant. Anyway, he just wouldn't stop messin with me, and I figured y not, so as we got on the x-way I let him have some, and I really thought he woulda done okay, but... major fail. Guess I will always be a 4 banger guy, and there is nothing better than the v8 guy looking over at you with that look on his face... kinda like a lost puppy that just got screwed by the neighbors cat.

I'd say do what makes you happy, looking at a local guys RX-7 with an LS1 in it, it is very nasty. Good luck in whatever you decide.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 04:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by FooM Anchoo
I saw this pretty muscled up looking T/A the other day. Had some serious rumble and some kinda tag W5.7 on the back, have no idea really what it meant. Anyway, he just wouldn't stop messin with me, and I figured y not, so as we got on the x-way I let him have some, and I really thought he woulda done okay, but... major fail. Guess I will always be a 4 banger guy, and there is nothing better than the v8 guy looking over at you with that look on his face... kinda like a lost puppy that just got screwed by the neighbors cat.

I'd say do what makes you happy, looking at a local guys RX-7 with an LS1 in it, it is very nasty. Good luck in whatever you decide.
I don't get it with all these FD swaps going on now a days. Corvettes are becoming more affordable and it just doesn't make sense unless you really like the looks of an FD. I know they are light, but $ for $ can you make the FD better than the C5 in terms of handling? If you can I guess it would be worth it.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 04:55 PM
Evolving Member

^ agreed on that one i would totally buy one of the newer vettes over the older camaros

Quick Reply: Should I sell/trade the Evo for a 98-02 LS powered SS Camaro?