Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Should I sell/trade the Evo for a 98-02 LS powered SS Camaro?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2010, 05:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
based on half of the retarded responses in the thread sell the Evo and get the V8
Old Apr 7, 2010, 05:02 PM
Evolving Member

Why trade a perfectly good evo for a car that you truly don't know the condition of unless you take it apart?
Old Apr 7, 2010, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by Audi2Evo
Its what YOU want, if you have a thing for the camaro - go for it!

IMO, its a downgrade, but to each his own, plus it sounds like youll have a lot more fun driving the camaro hard than babying the evo.
Yes agreed sounds like a down grade sell the mirage and conquest for a camaro
Old Apr 7, 2010, 05:19 PM
Evolved Member

I myself want a 02 camaro SS, but I love my evo. The only way I would get the camaro is once my evo is paid off. Its too good of a car to get rid of. Thats just my plan. I have also had my share of rwd v8's. so I feel your pain.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 09:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
eh. sell it and get the camaro. people do this every 3 years it seems. you'll get bored of that car too. good luck.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 09:32 PM
Evolved Member

get into roadracing, and you'll have a new love for your evo and the camaro will be out of your head
Old Apr 7, 2010, 09:52 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mal45247
Yes agreed sounds like a down grade sell the mirage and conquest for a camaro
Dude, I don't think I could ever bring myself to selling the Mirage, its waaaay to mint, and one of the few of the 1500 that have survived. If I ever, ever sold it, I've told my Dad it would go to him anyway.

Originally Posted by Wickedwhite8
I myself want a 02 camaro SS, but I love my evo. The only way I would get the camaro is once my evo is paid off. Its too good of a car to get rid of. Thats just my plan. I have also had my share of rwd v8's. so I feel your pain.
I know man, I'm stuck, I love my Evo, and agree it's an awesome car. I however don't want another car payment when I get the Evo paid off.

Originally Posted by heavens turbo
eh. sell it and get the camaro. people do this every 3 years it seems. you'll get bored of that car too. good luck.
You're about right with the years, lol I've had the Evo for going on 2.5 years now, lol. I'm not positive that I even want to, just looking.

Originally Posted by kanyonkid
get into roadracing, and you'll have a new love for your evo and the camaro will be out of your head
No time with work

Last edited by lghtngyello03; Apr 7, 2010 at 09:56 PM.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 11:14 PM

sound of subaru > v8s imo.
Also if you are worried about the tranny so much, why not get a sheptrans?
Old Apr 8, 2010, 03:27 AM

I traded in my EVO and I miss it, the uniqueness of an Evo will never be equaled.

Old Apr 8, 2010, 03:34 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
as a former 03 ZO6 owner id never buy a rwd car again (only kept her for 1 month, not for me, they fishtail like crazy)
EVO FTW
Old Apr 8, 2010, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by FooM Anchoo
I saw this pretty muscled up looking T/A the other day. Had some serious rumble and some kinda tag W5.7 on the back, have no idea really what it meant.
It was probably WS.7 on the badge. It's something guys do when they have a car that LOOKS like a WS.6 but it didn't come from the factory that way. Outside of that, it doesn't mean much.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 08:07 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by blas4
sound of subaru > v8s imo.
Also if you are worried about the tranny so much, why not get a sheptrans?
I really don't want to pull it unless I have to. When the day comes when I have to pull it, I will get a Shep tranny. I decided that before I even got the car 2.5 years ago.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 08:20 AM

both
Old Apr 8, 2010, 08:27 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by lghtngyello03
Alright guys, I'm really considering selling/trading my Evo for a 98-02 LS1 or possibly LS6 swapped SS Camaro with a 6 spd.

I used to have a 6 spd 96 Z28/SS camaro with the LT1 in it, and sold it and got the Evo. The car was pretty strong, and had all the SLP options on it. I would have loved to gotten my hands on a LS powered car, but at the time could not find one in my price range.

The downside of getting the Camaro, it's a PITA to work on, (well the LT1 was anyway because of being crammed in there and the junk opti-spark,) I'm not sure of the LS motors as far as that goes, I do know they are crammed, but not sure of accessory locations. I do know that they are better because of no crappy opti-spark ignition being behind the waterpump, and the power potential.

I'm really missing the RWD fun, and the sound and feel of the V8. Also, the fact that you can beat the crap out of it, rev it up and just side-step the clutch, and not worry about the stock tranny breaking if you aren't pushing boatloads of power.
I'm seeing a couple of guys that used to have Evo's that went to either a GTO or Camaro, and now they are wanting to get back into the Evo scene. This makes me wonder why are they wanting to step away from the GTO or Camaro, back to the Evo.

I do not Auto-X my Evo and don't plan on it, so I wouldn't be missing anything as far as that goes. It is only me and my GF, so the 4 doors really don't ever get used, and people hardly ever ride in the back. So, downsizing to the 2 door wouldn't be an issue.

The Evo is not my Daily Driver, its only a weekend/good weather/vacation car. The power is awesome for the little it has done. I just don't feel comfortable wailing on the car however. It gets granny driven whenever it's driven, and is only beat on whenever the opportunity presents itself.

I'm not 100% sure yet. I love my Evo don't get me wrong, and has been my dream car forever, but I miss the V8 power/feel/sound. I do know that the Evo can be made to outrun V8's, I'm not dumb, but they will never have the sound of a wicked V8.

Can anyone provide any kind of info or maybe convince me not to do this?

Thanks in advance guys,
Scott

Also, I would still have a 4G63. I have an original 89 Turbo Mirage hatchback with a built 2.0 in it, as well as a 88 Conquest that I'm thinking of doing a 2.0 swap into.

Glass rear end gears .....
Old Apr 8, 2010, 08:56 AM

I own a 93' Z28 and just got into an 03 Evo. If I were in your shoes I would just pick up a cheap LS1 car and keep the Evo. You can get LS1 cars for close to 5k in decent condition now. I have fun driving my Camaro but all it does is burnouts in a straight line...kinda gets boring. If I were you and wanted to get rid of the Evo for RWD I would look into something like a 3 Series or E46 M3. Its not going to have the power of an LS1 but it is a way better car to pitch sideways. Down the road you could always do forced induction if you felt it was needed. Have you driven an FBody lately? One drive in it and you'll want to keep the Evo.

Quick Reply: Should I sell/trade the Evo for a 98-02 LS powered SS Camaro?