Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

RWD Evo8!?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2010, 11:13 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RWD Evo8!?

Please don't flame me, this is a serious question! lol. Has anyone, ASIDE from the gay tokyo drift car, converted their Evo to rear-wheel drive? It just seems like it'd be so much better as far as drag racing goes to have a car that's rear-wheel drive instead of all wheel drive. The advantages of this IMO would be, less moving parts in the drivetrain, cheaper to maintain, lighter and you'd be able to get more power to the ground.. I just feel like there are so many advantages to this that I find it hard to believe that some shop or import dragster team hasn't converted unless there really is some sort of underlying negative to doing this. Brent Raus DSM is rwd and is currently the fastest if I'm not mistaken.. Just an interesting thought that popped into my head a while ago and figured I'd get the opinions from the peanut gallery.

Plus who wouldn't want to see an Evo do a wheelie!? lol
Old Apr 7, 2010, 11:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
why not just buy a 350/370Z, S2000, or something already RWD. there would be no point to having an EVO if you're just going to make it RWD. the AWD part is what makes it do what it does so well as far as performance goes.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 11:47 PM

buschurracing.com sells a adapter plate for you to use a GM trans for the evo 7,8,9, I know they sell alot more parts for the 1g/2g dsms to go rwd, I'd love to see a EVO do a wheelie also...
Old Apr 7, 2010, 11:51 PM
Account Disabled

Check out Rhys Millens RWD IX, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOfeqy27PZ0 i gotta admit it looks sick.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 01:32 AM

An Evo 8 was converted to RWD for the Drift Australia series a few years back. Car now lives in Perth, Western Australia but I haven't seen it run for quite some time.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 09:50 AM

why not just buy a 240sx and leave the evo alone. i think it should stay awd in my opinion
Old Apr 8, 2010, 09:56 AM
Evolving Member

this could possibly be one of the most dumb comments i have ever posted, but couldn't you just take out the front 2 axles, and get some kind of plugs to put in the t-case.. seems like it would work to me?
Old Apr 8, 2010, 01:22 PM

Although OP is "jus wondering", why would you do it? Like others say go buy a real RWD car like a 240 or 350z if you want to drift, don't understand why you would want to spend the time and money unless your a baller like Rhys Millen :P
Old Apr 8, 2010, 02:15 PM
Evolving Member

I'm not saying for drift. I'm saying more for drag racing. An Evo would be like the worst drift platform ever...
Old Apr 8, 2010, 02:20 PM
Evolved Member

^^^^no its not the worst platform...tokyo drift evo is actuall a drift car, and there is also 3 subarus that are also converted to rwd for drifting in japan, the cars are light and perfect for drifting with some dieting.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 02:22 PM
Evolving Member

And to everyone who's saying.. why not just buy a RWD car? Well Nissan Z's are slow as *****! S2000s are slow as *****! Most RWD cars are NA motors with really no aftermarket potential unless you dump tons of money into it and then at that point it just costs more than it's worth to build.. aside from something like a vette/cobra/supra/viper or another high-end car. I just think if you were going to make something fast at the drag strip you would want the lightest car possible as well as something that was more efficient at taking the power from the crank and getting it to the wheels. A RWD conversion would be cheap to maintain and would lighten your car.

..why do people drag race a car that's meant for rally/road racing? ..why do people drift evos when they're clearly not a good car for drifting?

The answer is because it's usually just because they want to do something different with the car that no one else has tried.

This car seems to run pretty good as a RWD converted car.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkGMEyIu_hw
Old Apr 8, 2010, 02:27 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTTEd...eature=related
Old Apr 8, 2010, 02:29 PM
Evolved Member

yeah brent raus eclipse is not even an eclipse anymore besides the engine, the car is a full drag car, tube chassy, three speed, 9in ford rear end...yeah nothing is stock about that car.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 02:31 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by erald01
^^^^no its not the worst platform...tokyo drift evo is actuall a drift car, and there is also 3 subarus that are also converted to rwd for drifting in japan, the cars are light and perfect for drifting with some dieting.
...eh.. IMO it takes more than it's worth to make it a drift car. In that sense.. yes, I would go with a 2door, rwd platform. To me it just seems like the entire suspension and frame of the evo was built around handling, whereas drifting is like the complete opposite of a good handling car. You just want something that'll throw the *** end out and keep that momentum for long distances. IMO a 4door, AWD, car is most definitely not the car I'd want to start with lol! But I guess if your filthy rich and don't care then go for it.

People swap in solid axles to hook better at the track.. why not just go a step further and eliminate the whole front drivetrain!? I'm not saying I would even want to do it.. only real question was "IF ANYONE HAD DONE THIS ALREADY FOR DRAG RACING!?" Seems weird that no one has to me since it seems to be fairly popular with the DSM boys. Maybe most of the people with the shop evos are just trying to keep the "originality" in the drivetrain and are more focused on their own goals as oppose to people like Brent Rau who race competitively.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 02:33 PM
Evolving Member

...that car is awd lol..

Quick Reply: RWD Evo8!?