Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Mini Battery Problems...

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2010, 06:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Mini Battery Problems...

Well 2 weeks ago I was having problems with my mini battery (Enersys that I got with the nisei kit) loosing a charge one me. I could use a battery tender and it would start and run for about 3 days and the battery would be completely dead again out of the blue. Battery diagnosis showed that the battery had 12 volts and showed 14 volts after the car was started (normal findings).

The third time the battery died out of the blue I went ahead and purchased a new Odyssey pc680 to swap out. Upon removal of the Enersys I noticed that it seemed to have a leak from the top where the tie down is. Once out, I inspected the battery and found that there was three cracks on the bottom of the battery like the battery had overheated or one of the cells had cracked.

With the new Odyssey I have had no problems...this is the first time I have seen anything like this, so just posting info for you guys with mini batteries that may have a similar problem. I probably could have had the battery warrantied however I had to turn that in as a core when I bought the odyssey... no biggie.

Last edited by Fast_Freddie; Apr 8, 2010 at 07:00 AM.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 07:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
did you contact Nisei about the problem?
Old Apr 8, 2010, 07:25 AM
Evolved Member

Yes, but I wasn't trying to get anything, cause I don't have the bad battery anymore, I had to turn it in as a core... I let them know about the issue, and we discussed it for about 30 minutes. Even if I did have the battery I would have had to make the warraty claim with enersys...
Old Apr 8, 2010, 07:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nevermind
Old Apr 8, 2010, 10:55 AM
Evolved Member

I've been having a hell of a time with my AMS small battery kit... First battery last for a month, and then would not hold or take a charge... I spoke to AMS and they said to send it back so they could take a look at it... I didn't want to have the car sitting while the battery was out, so I order another battery from AMS and that one lasted for only two weeks, and it too doesn't want to hold or take a charge...

If I place either battery on a charger, it shows charging for a minute and then it shows fully charged, but it's stone dead... If I place it on a battery tender, the tender goes into protection mode... Last night I started the car on a normal battery and then swap in the AMS small battery while the car was running - drove it around for 20 minutes, shut the car off, and the battery was still completely dead...

I sent an email to AMS and they said that my issue was 'weird' and to send both batteries back to them... I checked the car for a draw or shorts and it's perfectly fine... I also can't believe that I'm the only person that's having this issue with this battery kit...
Old Apr 8, 2010, 12:00 PM
Evolved Member

^ What voltage is the battery showing when the car is started?
Old Apr 8, 2010, 12:10 PM
Evolving Member

I hate mini battery's and that's why I put the stock one back in.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 12:22 PM
Evolving Member

that sucks you guys are having so many problems with your batteries. If you get another check the volts before you install it they should come with some kind of spec/care sheet if its out of spec charge it fully, install it then check it the next day if its out of spec again you may have a short somewhere. I had a similar issue when i first installed one turned out there was a short ive been running the same battery for two yrs now no probs.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 12:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Fast_Freddie
^ What voltage is the battery showing when the car is started?
over 13 volts...
Old Apr 8, 2010, 12:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JonahEVO
I hate mini battery's and that's why I put the stock one back in.
I spoke to Odyssey and Genesis today and they both stated that the high heat under the hood could be killing these small batteries... They also told me they were designed for motorcycles and not cars, oh well...

A local dealer had an Odyssey PC680 in stock and I'm going to drop that in the car while the two AMS batteries are sent back for repair/replacement... I'm going to relocate the battery to the trunk if I can't get this issue resolved and use an Optima Red top... Based on my current setup, anything other than a small battery will no longer fit up front...
Old Apr 8, 2010, 12:46 PM
Evolved Member

Relocate and you will be so much happier. I had this same problem and relocated my optima to the trunk and have absolutely no issues.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 12:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SEEnoEVO
Relocate and you will be so much happier. I had this same problem and relocated my optima to the trunk and have absolutely no issues.
I just may end up doing that I ordered this kit for my time attack car, http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/10260K2/10002/-1 but may end up using it on the EVO...
Old Apr 8, 2010, 12:56 PM
Evolved Member

Buschur mini battery going in its 5th year of operation, under the hood of a track Evo with zero issues to report.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 04:52 PM

Talk to Batteries Plus. We use them for our UPS systems at work. If you give them the size/specs. they can find you a good replacement battery. When my mini-battery fails, that's where I am going to go. Odds are, they are going to be a lot cheaper than going back the the shop that sold you the kit.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 05:04 PM

i had a similar problem a few years back...nisei was great about it and replaced it for me. i learned my lesson tho, no mini for me