Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Additional Bolt-in Roll Bar support/backing plates

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2010, 09:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Additional Bolt-in Roll Bar support/backing plates

To increase safety awareness, reposting here from the Motors Sports forum as I know there are quite a few people running bolt-in bars that don't necessarily frequent the motor sports area of the site.

Earlier in the year, I came across this: http://jalopnik.com/5390934/mustang-...yline=true&s=i

(Note the roll bar punching through the floor).

I also saw a post on evom that pictured an extra support plate for a bolt-in roll bar to spread out the surface area aiming at lessening the chances of the bar punching through the floor: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/8008936-post19.html

I really liked this idea, especially seeing how thin the floor is and already deforming from the small 3x4 plates that are welded to the Autopower bar. The thought of how easily it could just punch through scared me.

I had Parsons Fabrication (main business is building cages for race cars) make me a set of support backing plates. We decided to angle up the side a little to have the roll bar sit more in the middle of the plate. The plates are 6x8.

The install is easy... unbolt roll bar, slip the plate under where you want it, mark the holes from under the car, take the plates out and drill the holes, slip back in and re-bolt.

Disclaimer: Of course this is not as good as properly welded supports, with a welded cage, but it is a one step better over not having anything at all.

Last edited by chaotichoax; Apr 8, 2010 at 10:23 AM.