Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Just ordered eBay o2 housing and TBE

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2010, 08:21 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not all of the Ebay O2 housings are made equal. There are some that put the O2 right near the flange of the downpipe which will hit the A/C line. Another version points the O2 at the back of the block and is very close to the block. Others have very poor welding and butt joints. I have replaced a few of these with Megan's for customers in as little as 4 months to a couple of years. At the end of the day the Megan is hard to beat for the money and better quality SS used. Some of the Ebay ones use mild steel flanges or materials and the wrong weld wire which I have seen rust through. Keep in mind when they make these super cheap products that there is no way we could make here in the states for these prices that a lot of shortcuts are made. Not that you may want to spend $500 on a US made O2 housing - but there are reasons it costs a lot to R&R, and produce. In the end the Walmart market will beat us down...
Old Apr 13, 2010, 08:38 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by midwestmonster
You were hesitant because you know ebay is knock off garbage. I never understand why people spend 30k on a car and put pos parts on it. Yeah I know some people have had good results with certain ebay parts, but if you're hesitant about it, you obviously know they're crap. Good luck with your garbage.
Seriously? These cars dont cost 30K anymore. Im not for putting cheap parts in a nice car but they are becoming cheaper and cheaper so more people can afford them. Get off the guys back he understands the risk and its not your money so lets all sit back and have a and see how things work out.

OP i hope things work out for you, I HAD the Ebay exhaust on my car and I loved it. It really does have a good sound and its not loud at all (I had an Off road exhaust on my cammed 5.0 so that might be why) but im running a MAP O2 dump so cant give you advice about the O2 housing but best of luck hope it works out.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 08:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by ball7068
pay attention to the fit between the downpipe and the transfer case. I have seen issues of rubbing that lead to bad results for the TC.
+1 I have the ebay exhaust and I absolutely love it. The only downside to it is that if you don't fit the downpipe in properly and prevent it from touching the transfer case then IT WILL make a pin size hole in it. Happend to me and I still don't know where the fluid leaks out of. I am either going to JB Weld or take it to a shop and get it repaired.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 09:15 PM
Evolved Member

It always amazes why people find it necessary to purchase a name brand exhaust for several hundred dollars or more when an exhaust is just a piece of pipe and a couple of flanges.

I also love the "I can't believe you would buy a $30k car and put eBay parts on it" comments. These are not $30k cars anymore. Heck, people are buying used Evo's for $15k or less. We aren't driving Ferrari's people. In my opinion modding cars is supposed to be about making as much power as you can for the least amount of money possible. If I can make 340 hp for the same amount as someone else is spending on an exhaust I would say I am doing pretty good. If the parts work, and eBay exhausts definitely work, there is nothing wrong with putting one on your car.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 09:52 PM
Evolving Member

I have a e-bay o2 housing and am very happy with it, I just did a mild port on it but seem to be working good, my exhaust is a muffler shop job with a no name downpipe which cam with the car so I just left it. it's 3" and madrel bent, test pipe and strait throught dynomax muffler, it sound good and cost me $120, some people don't have lot of money to dump into a car. Do what you can and with what yo got, in the end it's all about the tuning right?
Old Apr 13, 2010, 09:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
the only cheap part i bought was the ebay SS o2 housing. I paid 65 shipped for it a year ago and that was ported. Heck you can buy name brand exhaust from members doing part outs or back to stock for way less then retail if you dont want to go the ebay exhaust route i got a 3" Invidia N1 preformace exhause for 150+ Shipping from a member so i mean just have to look around
Old Apr 14, 2010, 07:50 AM
Evolving Member

I have a megan TBE and o2 housing - which I think most people would consider "ebay" and the fit and finish on both were perfect. Literally, absolutely no reason to have paid anything more and they sound / functions excellently.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 07:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Been considering the ebay o2 also, please let us know how it works for you.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 09:03 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by RockmanX
the only cheap part i bought was the ebay SS o2 housing. I paid 65 shipped for it a year ago and that was ported. Heck you can buy name brand exhaust from members doing part outs or back to stock for way less then retail if you dont want to go the ebay exhaust route i got a 3" Invidia N1 preformace exhause for 150+ Shipping from a member so i mean just have to look around

That is a good deal! I didnt know about this site when I bought my Evo and within the first week I ordered the ebay exhaust. then about a week later I noticed this site and all the crazy deals that are on here, but I still didnt really regret my decision.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 04:37 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by midwestmonster
You were hesitant because you know ebay is knock off garbage. I never understand why people spend 30k on a car and put pos parts on it. Yeah I know some people have had good results with certain ebay parts, but if you're hesitant about it, you obviously know they're crap. Good luck with your garbage.
I couldn't agree with you more. An Evo is a high performance car and isn't cheap by no means and u go on ebay and buy all these pos parts and wonder why they dont fit right , dont last and dont perform like the rest.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 01:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by BoostFTW05
That is a good deal! I didnt know about this site when I bought my Evo and within the first week I ordered the ebay exhaust. then about a week later I noticed this site and all the crazy deals that are on here, but I still didnt really regret my decision.
yup wait till my build thread starts next week will blow your mind when i tell you about the parts
Old Apr 16, 2010, 01:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The results are in - Evo's are now officially DSMs.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 05:13 PM
Evolving Member

Update....
The O2 housing had the bigger wastegate hole, and was already ported out around the flanges etc. Because I'm kinda particular, I spent 15 mins reporting it and enlarging/smoothing out the hole. Looked great. With that in mind, the O2 housing was a PITA to install. And no, it wasn't because of the ebay part...getting the OE one off was a nightmare. Bolts were seized in the heat shield, all of them broke off. Thankfully the shield doesn't get reused. It took me about 2 hours to get the old o2 off and the new one on. Keep in mind I work on cars for a living, have about 45k in tools as well as a lift at my disposal. That being said, the TBE DID have some fitment issues. 1st, I had to heat it and hammer it to get it to clear the TC. Not a huge issue. It is VERY close to the oil pan in my opinion, and I might spend some more time getting it to fit properly. I had to modify the hangers for the DP it get it to relieve a little stress on them. The piping fit just fine. The second issue is the Muffler tip is resting against the left side of the bumper opening. This I will try to fix tomorrow AM with a torch and pry bar. If I can't fix it, off to the muffler shop for a cheap $20 fix. All in all I spent 3.5 hours putting this system on the car, in my opinion at least twice as long as it should have taken. I have to say though, after all the PITA stuff, It's worth the money. Just expect to spend some time fine tuning it. Sound is good, deep. A bit loud for me without the silencer, so I put mine in. I didn't feel any power difference with the silencer. I didn't have the patience to take pictures at the time, so I'll snap some tomorrow AM when I try to fix the muffler issue.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 05:35 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by McDougal
It always amazes why people find it necessary to purchase a name brand exhaust for several hundred dollars or more when an exhaust is just a piece of pipe and a couple of flanges.

I also love the "I can't believe you would buy a $30k car and put eBay parts on it" comments. These are not $30k cars anymore. Heck, people are buying used Evo's for $15k or less. We aren't driving Ferrari's people. In my opinion modding cars is supposed to be about making as much power as you can for the least amount of money possible. If I can make 340 hp for the same amount as someone else is spending on an exhaust I would say I am doing pretty good. If the parts work, and eBay exhausts definitely work, there is nothing wrong with putting one on your car.
BTW...Mcdougal, you were the one that convinced me to get this ebay TBE- because of your post about your $81 exhaust. Unfortunately for me, I paid $180 for the same exact thing. (still a steal) Also, the exhaust is made by M2 Performance, check out the web site www.m2performance.net. It sells for $250 from their site without shipping. Total cost with TBE, O2 housing, and shipping= $246. Not too shabby
Old Apr 16, 2010, 05:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Shoulda bought my JIC Ti for LOL

Quick Reply: Just ordered eBay o2 housing and TBE