Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

update on the failed emissions

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2010, 03:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy update on the failed emissions

okay,so some of you remember my last post about the evo failing the emissions part due to the ses light. i took it to the shop, and they told me i had a bad rear 02 sensor. (i threw the P0141 and P0136). ok. fine. change it out, i need a sticker and my 60 days are running low. he changed the sensor, reset the computer and said i needed to drive it to reset the computer for a retest. (which i knew) i started the car this morning, and the dummy light came on. unreal.... took it to autozone for the free code scanning, and its the same codes. p0141 and p0136... what are the chances that its a bad sensor? is there any way the computer would reset itself? (thought i read it on here) i have a full 3" exhaust and using the spark plug foulers for the rear sensor. im running out of ideas here...
any help would be greatly appreciated,
rich
Old Apr 11, 2010, 04:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My recommendation would be to have those codes disabled in the ROM. Not all CEL fix spacers will work correctly. It all depends on the flow of the exhaust, how sensitive the O2 sensor is, and those codes are rather meaningless. Talk to a tuner, or get a friend who is competent in ECU tuning to just disable those codes in the ROM. So you have no CEL and no problem with emissions.
Old Apr 11, 2010, 04:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Buchnerj nailed it.
Old Apr 11, 2010, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by buchnerj
My recommendation would be to have those codes disabled in the ROM. Not all CEL fix spacers will work correctly. It all depends on the flow of the exhaust, how sensitive the O2 sensor is, and those codes are rather meaningless. Talk to a tuner, or get a friend who is competent in ECU tuning to just disable those codes in the ROM. So you have no CEL and no problem with emissions.
im rather new to the whole tuning, and disabling this and that. i wouldnt even know where to start, or what i need. its just frusterating because the spacers worked for me for a full year, no issues. what would i need personally for the car to have this done?
Old Apr 11, 2010, 05:24 PM

could anyone here recomend a good place to take the car? or if anyone here is in or around MA that knows what they're doing, and would like to make a few extra bucks.... im located in MA on the border of NH.
Old Apr 11, 2010, 06:20 PM

you didn't say but I assume you are running a test pipe right?
Old Apr 11, 2010, 07:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by hvackid3
im rather new to the whole tuning, and disabling this and that. i wouldnt even know where to start, or what i need. its just frusterating because the spacers worked for me for a full year, no issues. what would i need personally for the car to have this done?
You have a full turbo back? as stated testpipe or Cat?

Get yourself ECUflash and a Tactrix cable.

When you get your ROM, contact a vendor for an e-mail flash if no one is close to you.
Old Apr 11, 2010, 07:35 PM
Evolving Member

double up on the spark plug anti foulers and shut off the ses light , should keep it off ....

My buddy had the same issue with his
Old Apr 11, 2010, 08:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
did you sell the stock cat? if so, lol. if not, just swap it out and drive the 50 miles. i'm suprised they didn't say anything about being catless. good luck.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 01:37 AM

a few answers to your questions,

- i was running a high flow cat in the begining and it threw the ses light. i did some searching here and found the spark plug fouler trick. put 2 on, and the light stayed off. i figured since i got it to stay off with a cat, it would stay off with a test pipe. put in the test pipe and the light still stayed off. drove for about a year till it was time for another sticker. brought it to the shop to have the cat put back on (for the visual) and as soon as i started the car after reinstalling the cat, the light hasnt turned off yet. so i have the cat on the car now w/2 foulers and still throwing 2 codes. this is with a new rear sensor too.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 05:40 PM
Evolved Member

these are circuit codes. there may be something wrong with the wiring somewhere. if you had a scan tool, i would say watch the voltage to see if it stays pretty lean. but you probably don't so i would check the wiring. or something along the electrical portion.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 05:44 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by hvackid3
a few answers to your questions,

- i was running a high flow cat in the begining and it threw the ses light. i did some searching here and found the spark plug fouler trick. put 2 on, and the light stayed off. i figured since i got it to stay off with a cat, it would stay off with a test pipe. put in the test pipe and the light still stayed off. drove for about a year till it was time for another sticker. brought it to the shop to have the cat put back on (for the visual) and as soon as i started the car after reinstalling the cat, the light hasnt turned off yet. so i have the cat on the car now w/2 foulers and still throwing 2 codes. this is with a new rear sensor too.
you shouldn't have the de-fouler's on with the cat that's why its prob throwing the codes its not seeing any exhaust ... you should only have them on with the test pipe

Last edited by evoboi005; Apr 12, 2010 at 05:51 PM.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 05:47 PM
Evolved Member

good call evoboi^
Old Apr 12, 2010, 05:49 PM
Evolving Member

if all else fails shoot me a pm, i can help you
Old Apr 12, 2010, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by evoboi005
you shouldn't have the de-fouler's on with the cat that's why its prob throwing the codes its not seeing any exhaust ... you should only have them on with the test pipe

Quick Reply: update on the failed emissions