Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Unstable Boost; Video Inside

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2010, 12:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
that my friend is a boost leak. btw...it doesnt happen in shorter gears because boost isnt built long enogh to fluctuate
Old Apr 14, 2010, 12:09 AM
Evolving Member

Interesting to hear that. Makes sense with the shorter gears.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 12:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by evocivicmarc88
Yeah I have the same one as well.
I actually think you may be fine, and just trying to load up the car too early. Does it do the same for u in 3rd, say 2000rpm? (but not as harsh of a surge) If not, I think youre fine...
I would definitely do a BL test, just in case. (if for nothing else, for peace of mind) Check the BOV. and you need to use soap and water, as just listening might not cut it... I paid a shop to do a BL test, and he pressurized it, listened for leaks for like a 10 secs, and called it good. I think it takes a lil more effort to find these lil fkrs, as larger leaks dont even make a whistle...
Old Apr 14, 2010, 12:19 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by nonschlont
I actually think you may be fine, and just trying to load up the car too early. Does it do the same for u in 3rd, say 2000rpm? (but not as harsh of a surge) If not, I think youre fine...
I would definitely do a BL test, just in case. (if for nothing else, for peace of mind) Check the BOV. and you need to use soap and water, as just listening might not cut it... I paid a shop to do a BL test, and he pressurized it, listened for leaks for like a 10 secs, and called it good. I think it takes a lil more effort to find these lil fkrs, as larger leaks dont even make a whistle...
3rd gear is solid the throughout the whole power band for the most part. Sounds like I have to do a boost leak test. I think what i'll do is just want till I upgrade the intercooler (probably in a month or so) and then just loosen and recheck all of the clamps.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 01:12 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evocivicmarc88
3rd gear is solid the throughout the whole power band for the most part. Sounds like I have to do a boost leak test. I think what i'll do is just want till I upgrade the intercooler (probably in a month or so) and then just loosen and recheck all of the clamps.
That really sounds like compressor surge to me what turbo is this?

Here's a red with some surge happening you can here it pretty good when he accelerates out of a corner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDfAZ...eature=related
Old Apr 14, 2010, 01:39 AM
Evolving Member

Its the stock 9 turbo, That vid sounds very similar to my problem as shown in the video on my first post.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 02:08 AM
Evolving Member

a boost leak test is very important. Make sure all the hoses behind the intake manifold and below are in place. Try a 3rd gear pull starting at 3000 rpms and then a 5th gear pull from 3000 rpms. Make note of how much peak boost you are making in each pull. Should give you enough idea to figure out whats going on.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 11:17 AM
Evolving Member

Your clutch is slipping.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 11:19 AM
Evolving Member

Lemme elaborate a little, in the higher gears, you engine is not under as much load. When your clutch slips at high RPM in these gears the wastegate opens momentarily and then when your clutch grabs and is under load once more, the boost goes back up and you feel like you've gotten a kick in the pants. This my friend is the first sign that you will soon need a new clutch.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 11:30 AM
Evolving Member

haha I dont think so. The car has 8k miles on it, never launched or anything.

Gosh, never knew their could be so many possibilities to what is happening.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 01:05 PM

Dunnoo...good luck
Old Apr 14, 2010, 07:12 PM
Evolving Member

I don't think it's his clutch, if it was his rpms would be jumping up with the boost but they're not so my money is on boost leak
Old Apr 14, 2010, 10:35 PM
Evolving Member

Why the "Service Engine Soon" light? TBE w/ no cat? Maybe not the culprit, but shouldn't be on with 8k miles. A re-tune sounds in order.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 10:41 PM
Evolving Member

yes the car has a tbe with no cat. Im going to put that plug on the sensor soon to get rid of that pesky light. A retune is definitely in need but I am waiting till I get the rest of the bolt ons (02 dump, front mount intercooler, ported: throttle body, exhaust mainfold, intake manifold; and cams, springs, valves and retainers) to complete the tune.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 07:06 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Berts24
I don't think it's his clutch, if it was his rpms would be jumping up with the boost but they're not so my money is on boost leak
True true.