Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Works TR340 package

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2010, 06:11 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Works TR340 package

Hey Guys

I have done alot of searching but i wanted to get some peoples recent opinions on the Works TR 340 Package

Now i know it might not be the best bang for your buck but lets keep price out of the argument.

How do you like the package?

Anyone have any problems with it?

Do you think Works does a good quality job

The 269 Power cams are they worth it and for having the stock turbo are these the right cams?

Any more info on it would be great

Thanks
Ian
Old Apr 15, 2010, 06:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I have the 340 package on my car. IX MR.. Its nice if you daily drive your car. Which I do. The idle with the cams is not to rough. I love the exhaust its a bit loud but sounds great and looks really great... I have had no issues with the package. I did not buy it The prior owner did. I do not know the type of work they do but I would assume they do good work..

My only gripe right now about it is the tune is really conservative. They really pull back timing so the tune is my issue. I am going to throw a MBC on and do my own tune on it. see if I can squeeze another 40-50 whp out of it. I have not dyno'd the car as is but i bet I will be shy of 300 atw..

Over all I am pleased with the parts. Now its time to fine tune it...
Old Apr 15, 2010, 08:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Works is a fantastic evo shop...their products are very high quality and troy is easy to deal with. i have always found their products a bit overpriced but i know that a lot of r&d goes into whatever they make/sell. you could most likely achieve equal reliability and quality by piecing together a similar setup, however it is a convenience to buy as a package...especially from a reputable shop such as Works. if u dont mind spending a little extra $ i say go for it. it seems Works goes for a more subtle approach to performance...quieter exhausts, milder cams, but great performance gains nontheless
Old Apr 15, 2010, 09:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't have the TR340 BUT I have the P2 Flash. Pete, the owner of Works, did the dyno tune himself. I was very impressed with his work. He really took his time making sure that the tune was perfect for him. Only thing I can say is WOW! I'd recommend Works anytime!!!
Old Apr 15, 2010, 09:13 AM
Evolving Member

The TR packages are a bit of a disapointment. Much better to put basic boltons in and get a good tune. More bang for your buck.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 09:19 AM
Evolved Member

Works has very good hard parts (exhausts, suspension bits, etc.), but I've heard too many horror stories about the tunes (wonky boost and fuel profiles). I've never had their tune personally, but I've seen the results from others' dyno runs and it wasn't pretty.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 09:32 AM
Evolving Member

Can't speak for the TR340 kit specifically, but all the WORKS parts I have are beyond quality and they have gone WAY out of their way to help me on a number of occasions.

OP: Since you're in MI, see if WORKS can put you in contact with Jamie. He's a WORKS employee in the Columbus, OH area and can probably handle the flash for you if you're not comfortable with the whole mail-in thing.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 09:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Anymore info on this? My car runs so rich on there tune.. would be curious to read some more. I know they pull timing hard core in the higher gears..

Originally Posted by Boostd4
Works has very good hard parts (exhausts, suspension bits, etc.), but I've heard too many horror stories about the tunes (wonky boost and fuel profiles). I've never had their tune personally, but I've seen the results from others' dyno runs and it wasn't pretty.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by vicksen
The TR packages are a bit of a disapointment. Much better to put basic boltons in and get a good tune. More bang for your buck.
x2
Old Apr 18, 2010, 12:28 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by v8<turbo4
Hey Guys

I have done alot of searching but i wanted to get some peoples recent opinions on the Works TR 340 Package

Now i know it might not be the best bang for your buck but lets keep price out of the argument.

How do you like the package?

Anyone have any problems with it?

Do you think Works does a good quality job

The 269 Power cams are they worth it and for having the stock turbo are these the right cams?

Any more info on it would be great

Thanks
Ian
It's a good DD package. I have it and I enjoyed it.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 07:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i got their turboback. it's a nice piece but they had to make the midpdipe and the muffler and i had to wait a month for it. the downpipe is ****, no rubbing at all. and coated. the midpipe and muffler however, let's just say i was dissapointed with the finish. the tone is deep, and not much louder than stock, but man. they could have cleaned up the welds a little better. other than that, i have been pleased with the piece so far. i'm gonna shop around for the tune cause they want close to $800 bucks for a dyno tune. good luck!
Old Apr 18, 2010, 08:55 PM
Evolving Member

i got the works DP and mid pipe used.. parts are of nice quality and supposedly don't void factory warranties.. as for tune I went elsewhere
Old Apr 18, 2010, 10:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I got the WORKS shifter bushings, but like alot of their products, its just rebadged.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 03:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by thedru13
Anymore info on this? My car runs so rich on there tune.. would be curious to read some more. I know they pull timing hard core in the higher gears..
I don't have any of the logs or anything...but I have seen Works tuned cars being "fixed" by a local tuner. The baseline runs would show AFR and boost curves that looked like Richter Scale printouts.

There is definitely a lot of safety built into their tunes...according to several tuners too much. But, their P2 Flash is off the shelf (for those not close enough for a custom tune) and they have to protect themselves.